Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2008 2:28:02 AM EDT
Anyone ever purchased these online and have a recommendation? I have several of the Metal tins but I wanted to be able to stack the surplus ammo I have a little bit better and I like the look much more as well. Just need a couple crates is all :)
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 3:55:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Three 50cal ammo cans fit perfectly into your standard wooden wine box.

Hit up a few local liquor stores and you'll nab a few of them for free
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 5:20:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone ever purchased these online and have a recommendation? I have several of the Metal tins but I wanted to be able to stack the surplus ammo I have a little bit better and I like the look much more as well. Just need a couple crates is all :)

What sort of boxes?  If you find milsurp wood small-arms ammo boxes, mosty 5.56 and 7.62,  be aware that if it says "PB" it's treated with a nasty chemical.

ETA:  Japanes SDF ammo boxes are sweet.  Beautiful, untreated wood, especially artillery fuze boxes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I love getting my ammo from CMP. The wooden boxes are great. I replace the wing nuts with a set of hinges and add a slide bolt which makes for a nice set up to store my ammo.
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 5:49:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting topic that I would like more info on as well.

It seems like good wooden ammo cases/crates are hard to find these days, especially ones that are marked according to what you want to store. I may build a couple over the next month or so if I can't find what I need; I have the tools and the materials are inexpensive. I'll post pics if I end up doing it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Interesting topic that I would like more info on as well.

It seems like good wooden ammo cases/crates are hard to find these days, especially ones that are marked according to what you want to store. I may build a couple over the next month or so if I can't find what I need; I have the tools and the materials are inexpensive. I'll post pics if I end up doing it.

Almost all wood overpack winds up in the dumpster, headed for the landfill or scrap yard.
None of those boxes make it into the re-sale pipeline.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2008 1:38:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Find a fairly local place that deals in bulk ammunition.  They will quite often have stacks of wooden ammo crates that they are usually willing to give away.  Even if they won't give them away, you may be able to get them for fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks dura and elk for the links Was hoping to find a place that also had SAW cans but I guess I cant have it all now can I

ETA

found them :)

http://www.omahas.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_89&products_id=641
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks dura and elk for the links Was hoping to find a place that also had SAW cans but I guess I cant have it all now can I

ETA

found them :)

http://www.omahas.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_89&products_id=641

I've ordered that exact product.  Realize that the crates are not well made and do have quite a bit a play in them.  They are simply wired together.  I would NOT stack them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 12:15:56 AM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the heads up on that. I will keep looking, thanks
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 5:27:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Numrich also has the military crates with two new cans included...

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=978340&chrSuperSKU=&MC=
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I have purchased the ammo crate and cans from Numrich before, they are in new condition.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top