Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2008 6:51:14 PM EDT
Stumbled on this ammo and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.  Is it fun?  Does it work well?  Does the bullet have to hit metal for the explosion to occur?  I did a quick search but could not find anything on the forum.  Simply pointing me towards a forum topic would be appreciated also.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no such thing.  There are tracers, but the round is too small for a practical incendiary bullet.  Tracers do burn hot so that's maybe what you're referring to?
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Video I seen show heat in excess of 3000 degrees F upon impact.  Have never shot them.  Cost too high, 3 $ a round
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php?pName=20rds-223-incendiary-ammo&cName=incendiary-ammo-incendiary-rifle-ammo

Looks different than a tracer round to me.......
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked up 20 rounds of armor piercing incendiary. It doesn't explode. It's more like a little puff of smoke with sparks. Great for shooting propane tanks (be careful). At $2+ per round, you need to decide if the cool factor is worth it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I picked up 20 rounds of armor piercing incendiary. It doesn't explode. It's more like a little puff of smoke with sparks. Great for shooting propane tanks (be careful). At $2+ per round, you need to decide if the cool factor is worth it.

"Armor piercing incendiary"  in .223Rem        

Link Posted: 10/5/2008 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#6]
It is not the same as the true military incendiary rounds that are meant to go through steel plates. I bought a few rounds of them from ammo to go and it could not punch through the steel 1/2 plate. They acted more like at tracer bullets. A tracer have a column of pyrotechnic composition in the base that is ignited by the flame of the propellant; this provides a visible pyrotechnic display during the bullet’s flight. Incendiary bullets, intended to ignite flammable materials such as gasoline, contain a charge of chemical incendiary agent

Link Posted: 10/5/2008 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have always wanted to try them but they are just way too expensive for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It is not the same as the true military incendiary rounds that are meant to go through steel plates. I bought a few rounds of them from ammo to go and it could not punch through the steel 1/2 plate. They acted more like at tracer bullets. A tracer have a column of pyrotechnic composition in the base that is ignited by the flame of the propellant; this provides a visible pyrotechnic display during the bullet’s flight. Incendiary bullets, intended to ignite flammable materials such as gasoline, contain a charge of chemical incendiary agent

That's mostly correct, but to clarify . . .

1)  No military has manufactured true 'incendiary' 5.56mm rounds.  The round is too small to contain any significant amount of incendiary pyrotechnic composition to make it of any practical use.  Tracers can ignite easily flammable material anyway.  

And before someone posts about a 'thermite' filling, thermite is not and has never been used in bullets.  Thermite actually burns very slowly compared to tracer or incendiary mixtures.  Thermite exerts its corrosive action on a substrate by producing super hot molten iron that melts through steel or other metals.  

2)  'Armor-piercing' and 'incendiary' are two completely different properties.  

Armor-piercing rounds contain a hardened core that punches through a target.  The core is usually heat-treated steel or tungsten.  The 'steel-core' ammo on the market in the form of Chinese 7.62X39 and 7.62X54R manufactured in many countries contains mild steel cores.  They are only marginally better at penetrating targets than lead-core.  The only reason Communist countries used mild steel cores was to save money as it's a lot cheaper than lead.

Incendiary rounds have contained a pyrotechnic composition (very similar to tracers), white phosphorous or, in larger calibers, the bullet itself is made from a special pyrophoric alloy that ignites upon striking a hard surface.  Zirconium-lead alloys are an example.

Incendiary rounds are meant to ignite easily ignitable material like petroleum-based liquids.  If they ricocet and end up in dry grass or a dry rotted tree stump, they'll ignite that too.  Tracers will do the same which is why some states have banned their use.  

As you've probably guessed, incendiary ammo is not armor-piercing, and they are no better at penetrating a steel target than lead-core or tracer ammo.

Some ammunition contains all three properties ie. .50 cal M20 APIT, Armor-Piercing Incendiary Tracer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#9]
It may be blue tip and in a brown box. The label is a sticker. Face value it looks like M889 in milatary packaging but it is not. I had 2 boxes and the necks were all split. The bullet pulled out with little to no resistance. It is light bullet, 50 grains and less.

BigDogammo sells a rafuss, with a white tip. It is supposed to burn at 5000 C. It is a 69 grain bullet.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got some of the Rafuss and the incendiary stuff and the reg. incendiary gave more "effect" than the Rafuss. It didnt trace, just sparked when hitting the target)which happened to be cinder blocks). I havnt had a chance to shot any since, hopefully theres a ARFcom shoot soon Ill blast it then.

Quoted:
It may be blue tip and in a brown box. The label is a sticker. Face value it looks like M889 in milatary packaging but it is not. I had 2 boxes and the necks were all split. The bullet pulled out with little to no resistance. It is light bullet, 50 grains and less.

BigDogammo sells a rafuss, with a white tip. It is supposed to burn at 5000 C. It is a 69 grain bullet.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top