User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Fired about 90 rounds, Bushy A2 w/ 16 inch barrel. No problems, just really dirty.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't gone through this whole post,  there might be chrono results I didn't see.  I chrono'd a bit of Wolf (Black box with alot of yellow on it). The box is different, plus the bullet is non-steel, this good for Ca.

20" CMMG 1/7 chrome.
AVE. 3040 fps

14.5" Bushmaster 1/9 chrome.
AVE. 2806 fps

My reloads Hornady 55gr FMJ/BT 24.5gr AA2230.

20" 3050 fps
14.5" 2810

I have shot 400 or 500 rounds of out of my guns and never had a problem.

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Really, the ONLY problem with WOLF ammo is that range owners can't sweep up brass to sell and reload. Like they really care what kind of ammo you use to keep your gun in good shape?

MUSIBIKE    
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
MUSIBIKE

If you are referring to the good in Ca remark, it is because of the propensity for everything to catch on fire here in SoCa.  Bi-metal bullets supposedly produce sparks.
Almost every range here disallows these bullets during fire season.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I've shot 500 rounds of MC split between a BCM 16" mid and a LaRure Stealth 16" middy. No problems other than one bad primer. At $150 for 500 rounds delivered I can't complain.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have shot Wolf for years and have never had issues in my AR's. My primary rifle today sports a CMT upper mated with a Noveske barrel and a Larue foreend and low profile gas block. It uses one of Denny's enhanced bolt carrier groups and shoots anything I put through it. My only issue  is that lately its been hard to find and have been buying Silver Bear and Brown Bear instead.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I am having lots of issues with wolf

Wolf 62gr HP, black box polymer coated.

20" 1:7 twist chrome lined CMMG Upper, consistently short strokes, and an occasional failure to extract.
16" 1:7 twist chrome lined CMMG Upper, consistently short strokes
16" 1:9 twist non chromed DPMS Upper, runs fine

Ammo is from a recent batch (<2 month old) bought from aim.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 12:00:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CleanMoostang] [#8]
ONLY time I had trouble was when I broke my barrel in for the first time when I bought it, but it could have been my USGI Mags as well, jammed twice.

Shot 500 rounds since then, not had any problems

Rifle:  Rock River Arms Entry Tactical 1:9Twist 16'' Barrel.

Noticed people are complaining about the ammo being dirty, and it kind of is.  Also, the outside is covered in the anti corrosion crap, which you can clean off prior to useage.

Take ammo, wrap it in old white cotton tshirt, give it a good shaking and a really good rub down, seems to help clean amazingly good and inside your gun as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Threw 3 30 rd mags of MC down range today for an Aimpoint sight-in. No problems. I have tried Brown Bear, Wolf BB and Wolf MC through my Daly M4 16". None have hiccupped, but the Bear was dirtier. I don't really mind as I keep my bolt swimming in fluid.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 3:37:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armorer_91f] [#10]
I bought 500 rds of Tula from Cabela's  & 3.99 for a 20 rd box.First range trip was today,I shot 100 rounds with it and had no problems.No FTF,FTE,no malfunctions at all.I was shooting it out of my franken M4.Here are the specs.

Colt Socom 14.5 barrel.
Cerro Forge upper
Vortex Strikefire red dot scope
Daniel Defense M16 BCG
Stag Arms Complete lower

I was shooting at 50 yards.All groups were tight especially for cheap ammo.I would buy Tula again.Next time I'll go out to 100 yards and see how it groups.It was too hot today.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought 100rds of the poly coated wolf ammunition. It won't feed. I think it gets hung up on the feed lips of the mags. I've tried a few different magazines but it still does the same thing. Would coating the cases with a little oil be advisable?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to shoot cases of this stuff until I received one case that apparently had a bad batch of steel cases. The extractor would the rim off the case and fail to extract it leaving it stuck in the chamber. I would have to knock out the case with a cleaning rod. This would happen every three rounds or so for that entire case, but the rifle would shoot the other cases of Wolf I bought just fine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Wolf was wildly inconsistent in both a 11.5 and 16 inch barrel. Other than that, I have not have many problems with it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Had my first stuck case yesterday after years of shooting AR's in LE and pleasure shooting (ok all shooting is pleasure shooting....)..I shot 2 boxes of green lacquer Wolf, then 5 or 6 boxes of the gray cases (unknown if coated, they have a 'flat' gray finish-fmj) One stuck case removed by manually cycling the action.  no other problem until I started shooting some LE contract 5.56 fmj (winchester brass case)..I don't think I've ever shot 5.56 through this weapon, only .223.  Its a RRA medium HBAR Carbine complete upper with 5.56 chamber.  One stuck case that had to be removed at the house with a light drop of the cleaning rod.  Not sure if related to the lacquer cases, but seems likely a combo of the Wolf and tighter 5.56 ammo.....
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been shooting the wolf poly coated ammo for awhile now with one stuck case out of thousands of rounds. Picked up 100 rounds of the tula ammo that walmart is carrying now and shot it. No problems. I am going to be asking for mostly ammo for christmas, and I think that is what I am going to be asking for, tula ammo from walmart
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#16]

I'll post the same thing here that I posted in a recent thread about wolf:

1st group (bullet hole on the right is from an AK )

2nd group

Shot from this gun

This was black box 62gr FMJ, off a bench using the bipod; I suspect that smaller groups would be possible using a rest.  I have occasionally had stuck rounds, usually within the first 5-10 rounds of a shooting session.  A while back, I started adding a drop of oil to the first round chambered for the day, and haven't had a stuck case since.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#17]
My first AR15 was a S&W M&P15 (one of the early ones).   Carbine would run flawlessly on PMC Bronze (2400 rounds or so).  However, Wolf was a major issue.   Wolf cartridges would start sticking in the chamber after 150 rounds or so.   If I cleaned the weapon, the problem would stop temporarily, and then return.  I'm not sure if it was a DI issue, out of spec chamber, or gas port issue.  

I purchased a LMT MRP Piston upper after having issues with the M&P.   I shoot almost exclusively Tula, Uly, Wolf, and Brown Bear through the carbine.   I'm approaching 8k rounds through the rifle.  I have had no major issues with Wolf (or its cousins), although I've found Brown Bear to be better.   Other than a handful of misfires (mostly with Wolf and Uly) and short-strokes, I've been very satisfied with Russian steel through my MRP.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2011 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Wolf WPA 55gr FMJ Black Box, the recent Baurnal made stuff from AIM

PWS MK114 works fine, no problems

LBC M4 works fine, no problems

Keltech SU16CA 20-30% do not fire, when fires all works fine (Shoots everything else 99% fine, IMI100% fine

FN FS2000; 40% fail to fire (That is 8 rounds out of 20 in a box) This was my first session this morning with this bull-pup.
I also shot 150 rounds of my reloads without a single failure of any kind. Ironically, they all had "Wolf" SRM primers. Bullets were Privi 62gr, not SS109 type but lead equivalent with a powder charge that duplicates point of aim for Privi factory 223 commercial ammo.

Of course, Wolf WPA is dirty compared to my reloads (TAC is a fairly clean powder) and far less accurate but I do a lot of 10-30 yard fast combat style shooting where it is not critical to have match ammo (although I have IMI in my defense mags or Privi 75gr match HP)

I will try some of the older ULY made Wolf next week to see if/how it compares primer wise.
Not sure if the primers are bad or just need to be hit very hard but with the SRM Wolf primers in my loads they are advertised as a thicker cup to prevent slam fires so if they go bang every time it seems factory should as well

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Bought 500 rounds and put 300 of those through a stag carbine. I had one case get stuck in the chamber of the AR. I wish that was the only issue. My friend brought along his mini-14 and after about 40 rounds, a case got stuck in the chamber. Turns out the Mini's extracter also broke. I felt guilty and had the extracter replaced for him. Now all rounds get stuck in the Mini's chamber (brass and steel). We cleaned the hell out of it and still all cases get stuck. This rifle never had any issues prior to using Wolf. Any money I saved on the Wolf ammo is gone as I'm going to take the Mini into a local smith and pick up the cost as well. Not a good experience.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 1:44:43 AM EDT
[#20]
short-stroked my bone-stock bushmaster xm15-e2.  it has a "few" rounds through it, so I changed the gas rings and gas tube, no difference.

no other ammo causes the same issues.

but, in the interest of fair disclosure, it did not malf my home-built RRA upper/colt 20" lw bbl/RRA bcg upper.

so, go figure.  I switched BCGs, no difference.  the wolf 55gr malf'd my bushy, not my home-build.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#21]
My sons and I shot 500 rounds of wolf .223 at the local plinking pit yesterday in my Arsenal 106fr. No failures. No stuck cases. About 350 rounds were rapid fire-the barrel was smoking hot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:05:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#22]
<This review thread is for TULA made ammo ONLY - Z>

Link Posted: 5/22/2011 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Tried some of this when I first purchased my AR. It's a Turret arms with 24" 1-9 twist, SS barrel.

Had multipal Fail to feed and ail to eject and the 26th round was a stuck case.

Bought 4 boxes. gave the remainder away.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I've shot roughly 6000 rounds of the black box through various rifles over the years.

Most of it was flawless as far as function goes.
I had one case in early 2009 that gave me constant stuck cases.
I fired 500 rounds of of the case and has 9 stuck cases.
I fired it through
A complete LMT
A Colt 6920
A frankengun with a CMMG barrel
And complete RRA 1/9 non chrome lined.

Each gun gave me at least one stuck case. The LMT gave me 4 but that is the one I fired the majority of it through.
That gun had never malfunctioned before, and has not since.
This combined with the stuck cases in the other guns tells me it was 100% the ammo.
I gave the other 500 rounds away, and stayed away from wolf for a while.

This weekend a friend and I split a case. We ran 500 rounds each in the range session.
He used an LMT defender2k which was filthy (he had not cleaned it in 1500 rounds or so)
I used a nearly NIB 6920

Both ran flawlessly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#25]
1) 55gr FMJ Tula (from spam can)

2) 16" Del-Ton M4 with JP Enterprises springs

3) 500rd/0 problems

This stuff fed and fired like it should NO problems even with the "light" springs. Should've bought more instead of Wolf Mil Classic!
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Shot a 120 rnds of Tula: 55 FMJs, 62 grn FMJ and HPs....No issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Herters 55 grain FMJ

100 rounds in an 11.5” Noveske switch-block normal gas setting: worked flawlessly about 2MOA accuracy.

100 rounds in an 18” DPMS SDMR 5.56 upper: 5 rounds cycled normally, 90 ejected but did not pick up a new round and 5 tried to load a new round but failed to close the bolt completely. Recoil was noticeably different with some rounds.

I will keep using them in my Noveske upper.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:55:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Wolf.....YES  TULA...and the box says "TULA" ...HELL NO..... Terrible stuff, never again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I purchased 80 rounds of Tula and it was complete shit, I had 4 primers blow out and constant failures to feed. The 1000+ rounds of brass I ran before and after was flawless. I'm going to try the Brown Bear variety next and see how it does.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Bought come Cabelas Herters thinking it may be Wolf.. but nope.. Tulammo..

shot 60 today with ZERO issues.. and I even switched between that and PMC XTAC XM193 and then back to the Herters/Tula again with ZERO issues...

overall GTG for me in my 16" PSA Carbine Upper..

it is VERY cruddy.. and will be FUN to clean..  

but saving $1.50/box on ammo (vs buying XTAC all the time) may be a good thing..  

will be trying the other 60 rounds in my slowly built BCM 14.5" Middy Upper..
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I've probably shot 1k rounds of TULA 55gr .223 through my Olympic Arms 16" AR, never an issues.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Shot 500 rounds through a spikes upper.  4 FTE, 1 horribly stuck case.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 2:09:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Had one stuck case with Tula 55gr FMJ out of a 16" AR with carbine gas system and a carbine buffer. Added an H buffer, BCM extractor upgrade kit minus the O ring and cleaned the chamber and have had 0 problems since. The stuck case was on round 164. I had previously put 120 rounds of Tula and 12 of Wolf through the gun, brand new and never cleaned the chamber after shooting. Several months later I took it back out and got the stuck case on round 32. I would not hesitate to use Wolf, Tula or any other steel cased ammo in that AR now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#34]
ran my new BCM 14 1/2" Middy today with a Carbine buffer with 60 rounds of Herters/Tula 55gr FMJ today with 0 issues..

ran 1 mag of this... 1 mag of PMC XTAC 556 ammo.. then this.. then that.. then this.. alternating between mags.. 0 issues..

VERY happy now that both rifles can run the cheaper stuff.. (though I usually always run Brass cased ammo)..

gives me options at least if SHTF..
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Havnt used in years, but I had about 250 rds .223 poly coated and it would run ok out my Wylde chrome lined UNTIL the barrel got hot.  As soon as I generated some barrel heat the casing would seize in the chamber and the only way to get them out was with a cleaning rod or combat charge.  Twice, when combat charging the extractor would sheer the lip off the casing, and in with the cleaning rod...  Instead, I run the zinc plated silver bear to this day.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#36]
A few years ago I found a screaming deal on TULA WHITE BOX .223 ammo. I bought a couple thousand rounds.

In the first couple thousand rounds I recall having had some stuck cases in a 14.5" Colt and had one hang fire in a 16" AUG.

Skip forward about two or three years...

I found 600rds of this stuff that I forgot I had. I put the last 600rds of it though a 16.5" Tavor with one stuck case.

Overall I was satisfied with this ammo for the price I paid (~$160/thousand).

For reference, the WHITE BOX tula is NOT the same as the black box tula.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:31:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8EDD] [#37]
Went to the range today with my Stag 2T.   Rifle was very clean but not immaculate by my estimation.   Rifle has about 800 rounds through it.  I'm not big on counting, sorry.

I'd never fed it steel before. After about 65 rounds (15 brass, 40 steel)I get a failure to extract.  Removed casing with a cleaning rod, tried again two more times.  Same thing each time.  Switched to brass - no issues.  Then I went to a mixed mag and sure enough, failure to extract on the first steel round.  Ugh.  

They stuck good enough that the extractor did this (below) to the rim on each round.  I'm really sort of bummed.  I was hoping I'd be able to run this stuff here and there to save some money.  I guess I've been spoiled by my handguns with the steel stuff (be gentle since i'm new to steel in ARs).  Sounds like, as a whole population, 'most' folks have no issues or don't report them b/c they want to like the cheap stuff and mark their chosen AR as the most reliable.

I'm going to give the bore and breach (?) a white glove cleaning then start with steel next time paying close attention to round count until failure.  Hopefully I'll get some good results.  I got a few hundred rounds of Herter steel than I'm afraid to shoot now!

ETA: to subscribe with email notice so i can check in on this thread
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Iv run maybe 400rds of the tula black box walmart shit through each of my PSA CHF builds, one rifle length and one middy. Iv had maybe 3 dud rounds (failure to fire). I dont have any issues with it except that its so damn dirty. Its cheap, available and does the job for plinking. Its definatly a tad underpowered though, youll notice if you shoot the stuff at 300yds when your zero is 300yd with some quality brass stuff, you will see low impacts, even though they are both 55gr projos. Overall, im pleased with the quality for the price point of the stuff. Also forgot to mention, i am anal retentive about cleaning my rifles after a range session (old marine habit) and i use my speical military chamber brush with some hoppes #9, and it always leaves me with a a nice shiny chamber, clean as a whistle. I think the dudes that are getting stuck cases arent cleaning their chambers properly. it only takes a few thousandths of an inch of buildup to give a stuck case! ask anybody that reloads and goes too heavy on the case lube, or not enough case lube.  My opinion is, the steel case doesnt fire form and seal the chamber that well, which causes gas blowby and buildup, and eventuallu failures to extract do to "tight dirty chamber". I keep my guns immaculate and never had any extraction issues with this cheap ass commy ammo. I will continue to use it though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I find that wolf and tula short stroke with any buffer heavier than a carbine weight. The last 500 round case of wolf I bought, was key holing every 4 or 5 shots.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BrewerJA:
Iv run maybe 400rds of the tula black box walmart shit through each of my PSA CHF builds, one rifle length and one middy. Iv had maybe 3 dud rounds (failure to fire). I dont have any issues with it except that its so damn dirty. Its cheap, available and does the job for plinking. Its definatly a tad underpowered though, youll notice if you shoot the stuff at 300yds when your zero is 300yd with some quality brass stuff, you will see low impacts, even though they are both 55gr projos. Overall, im pleased with the quality for the price point of the stuff. Also forgot to mention, i am anal retentive about cleaning my rifles after a range session (old marine habit) and i use my speical military chamber brush with some hoppes #9, and it always leaves me with a a nice shiny chamber, clean as a whistle. I think the dudes that are getting stuck cases arent cleaning their chambers properly. it only takes a few thousandths of an inch of buildup to give a stuck case! ask anybody that reloads and goes too heavy on the case lube, or not enough case lube.  My opinion is, the steel case doesnt fire form and seal the chamber that well, which causes gas blowby and buildup, and eventuallu failures to extract do to "tight dirty chamber". I keep my guns immaculate and never had any extraction issues with this cheap ass commy ammo. I will continue to use it though.
View Quote

what is the chamber brush you use - a pic would be great.  I felt like I was shooting a clean rifle but failure after that few rounds gives me pause.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Never shot Tula in .223.

Have shot the Wolf black box ammo in my AR15.  We used 500 rounds (250 each) to break in a couple of 20" HBAR clones we built 2 or 3 years ago (maybe longer).

My rifle had no issues.  My son's rifle did though, failure to load.  It would eject the fired case but not pick up the next round in the magazine often enough to be pretty aggravating.  We changed bolts and after that his rifle began to function.  Mine continued to function with his new chromed bolt.  HeHeHe. So I kept the chrome bolt and he took my parkerized bolt.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I shoot tula wolf herter in my mid length with zero issues for 5-6 mags then I will get a failure to extract - need to brush chamber and away we go - no issues.  If i load 2 brass on bottom followed by 28 steel/russian I can run 12+ mags with no issues.   Guessing the last 2 brass cases clean the crap in the chamber....

Jeff
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I've never had any problems with steel cased stuff.

When did Tula stop putting brass coating on the bullets?

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I've never used steel cased ammo, so I don't have any experience.

That there are three options in the poll leads me to think that there might be a problem with it on occasion - which in my mind supports my decision to feed all my guns only brass.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SickMAK90:

View Quote

Fairly recently they switched from the copper wash to a zinc finish, a couple months or so about.

About a year or so ago approximately, they switched from boxer to berdan primed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Nehi:

Fairly recently they switched from the copper wash to a zinc finish, a couple months or so about.

About a year or so ago approximately, they switched from boxer to berdan primed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Zinc have any downsides vs copper? Also do the Berdan primers cause any problems?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Zinc have any downsides vs copper? Also do the Berdan primers cause any problems?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Probably done to cut production cost, past that I have no idea.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Put 400-500 through a stainless Ruger Mini-14 without any issues.  I'm posting to note that my vote wasn't AR15 specific.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#49]
I've shot over 700 rounds of Wolf (black box) and have not had a single issue with how they function.  They went boom each time!  The only thing I've noticed is accuracy and they seem a little underpowered.  I shoot Wolf gold as my go to, and it's night and day between accuracy.  At 50m black box produces 2" groups consistently, while gold is quarter sized groups.  I'll probably never buy anymore after I finish up the last 300.  I like the Gold's and they're worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#50]
My first AR didn't like steel-cased ammo. Windham ORC. Stuck cases galore. I thought ammo was shit. A dozen ARs later, not a single issue with Tula, Wolf, or Brown Bear. That WW rifle is long gone :D
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top