55 gr 2 MOA
68 gr 1 MOA
75 gr 1 MOA
77 gr 0.75 MOA

No issues.  

Red Box:
55 gr 2.5 MOA
77 gr 1 MOA

No real issues.  Some discoloration of the bullet as time went on.  (turned red)

White Box:
77 gr 0.75 MOA

No issues.
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Love the stuff. Fired from an Armalite 16" 1x9 chrome lined barrel using BH Blue Box 52gr HP Match Grade. Putting this ammo side by side with anything like UMC or Ultramax is like shooting night and day. Although BH is more expensive, I see it as being a much better deal overall in the fact that it's easier to hit what you're wanting to hit. I'm ordering a can of Centurion M193 and will compare it to BH when I recieve it. But, because BH is more expensive I hold it to a much higher standard than I would M193. Should be a fun time at the range though regardless.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 4:07:35 AM EDT
[#3]
69 grn moly
77 grn
both remanufactured

16" bushmaster w/non freefloat HG
Leupold CQT at 3x for shoot.
tripod used for groups screwed into a knights rail

shot at 125 yds no calipers on hand and no real effort to measure them.
All shots cloverleafed
no failures of any kind

I noticed that 55grn wolf shot better after shooting the 69 grn BH moly, I dont know if this was a direct result of the moly or if it was just random.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#4]
(repost)

Black Hills MK262 comparison

As far as I am aware, the only other 5.56mm NATO pressure round loaded with a “heavy” OTM bullet besides the Hornady 5.56 TAP round (that is currently commercially available) is the Black Hills MK262 load.  One can’t help but wonder how the two compare.

The MK262 round is currently loaded with the Sierra 77 grain MatchKing bullet with a cannelure.  Looking through my chronograph records shows that the MK262 round has a slightly higher velocity compared to the 5.56 TAP round when fired from a 20” NATO chambered barrel and nearly identical velocities when fired from both 16” and 14.5” barrels.  The overall standard deviations of both loads are also quite similar.

The external ballistics of the two loads are virtually indistinguishable  out to 250 yards.  The conservative ballistic coefficients used for the graph and tables below were derived by testing at 200 yards by Rick Jamison.

I tested the accuracy of the Black Hills MK262 load using the same Colt 20” HBAR  that was used to test the Hornady 5.56 TAP load.  This barrel is NATO chambered, chrome lined and has a 1:7” twist and has repeatedly proven to shoot very well for a factory barrel.  (While a match barrel, with say a Wylde chamber, might produce tighter groups than this barrel, the idea here was to test the MK262 load for its relative accuracy compared to the 5.56 TAP load.)   The testing was done from a bench-rest at 100 yards.

My usual procedure of obtaining three, 10-shot groups from 100 yards and overlaying those groups on each other using the RSI Shooting Lab software program was continued with this test.    

The previous control loads fired from the Colt HBAR using a standard handload with a 77 grain Sierra MatchKing had a mean radius of 0.32” for the 30-round composite target.  The 30-round compostite target from the MK262 load produced a mean radius of 0.42”.   For comparison the mean radius of the previous 30-round composite target from the 5.56 TAP load was 0.46” giving the MK262 load a very slight  edge in accuracy.

The 10-shot groups measured:

Control load––-1.05”, 1.07”, 1.10”

MK262––––––––-1.20”, 1.34”, 1.37”

5.56 TAP––––––1.16”, 1.38”, 1.45”

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#5]
(repost)

Black Hills 75 grain Match HP Ammunition:  blue box versus red box

The difference between Black Hills’ red box and blue box ammunition lies primarily with the brass case.  Red box ammunition is newly manufactured using virgin brass.  Blue box ammunition is referred to as “remanufactured” because is uses once fired brass that has been resized.  This enables Black Hills to sell the blue box ammunition at a reduced price compared to their red box ammunition.

Black Hills’ 75 grain Match HP (hollow point) ammunition is loaded with Hornady’s 75 grain BTHP Match bullet with a cannelure (referred to as the "T1C" here on AR15.com) and both the red box and blue box loads have a crimp at the case mouth.  Both loads are charged with “ball powder.”  The nominal OAL for the red box cartridges ran around 2.245” and for the blue box cartridges it was closer to 2.250".

The cases used in the red box ammo have sealed primers and the headstamp of most lots of this load read “BHA 223 MATCH.”  These virgin cases have a nominal length of 1.755”.  The cases used in the blue box load tend to be a mix of once fired Lake City and Winchester brass.  The military primer crimps has been removed by the reaming method.  The blue box loads do not have sealed primers.  

Black Hills does not perform a “trim to length” operation on the resized cases used in the blue box ammunition.  As a result, many of the cases are longer than the SAAMI recommended maximum length of 1.760”.  Several of the cases that I measured had a length of 1.775”.  This could potentially cause problems in a barrel with a minimum length chamber, though no malfunctions of any kind were experienced during the testing of this ammunition.  (Using a Sinclair chamber length gauge, I determined the chambers of my Colt barrels have a length of 1.780”.)

Both loads were chronographed using four different length barrels.  All of the Colt barrels used in testing have a NATO chamber and a 1:7” twist.  The 24” Krieger barrel has a 5.56 Match chamber and has a twist rate of 1:7.7”.  On their web-site, Black Hills advertises a muzzle velocity of 2,750 fps for these loads, but they do not state the barrel length associated with this velocity.

An Oehler 35-P chronograph with “proof screen technology” was used in testing.  All velocities listed are muzzle velocities obtained from the instrumental velocities using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software.  Strings of fire consisted of 10 rounds each.

While chronographing the Black Hills loads through the 24” Krieger barrel, I also chronographed three of Hornady’s SAAMI pressure, 75 grain loads that use the T1C bullet for comparison.

atmospheric conditions:

Average temperature- 80 degrees F
Humidity - 48%
Barometric pressure – 29.04
Elevation- 960 feet above sea level
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
(repost)

100 yard Accuracy Evaluation of Black Hills 75 grain MHP:  red box versus blue box.

As previously discussed in this thread, the primary difference between Black Hills' red box and blue box ammunition lies with the brass case.  Red box ammunition uses virgin brass, while blue box ammunition uses once fired brass that has been resized.  

Both the red box and blue box 75 grain Match hollow point loads use the Hornady 75 grain BTHP bullet with a cannelure and both have crimped case necks.  Both loads are charged with “ball” powder and with the two lots of this ammunition that I chronographed the blue box load ran an average of 50 fps faster than the red box.

Accuracy testing of both loads was done from a bench-rest at 100 yards.  The test-vehicle was an AR-15 with a 24” stainless-steel Kreiger VarMatch barrel, with a 1:7.7” twist, installed on a LaRue Tactical Stealth upper receiver.  A Leupold Competition Series Scope was used for sighting.  No malfunctions of any kind were experienced during testing.

Prior to testing the Black Hills ammunition, I obtained three 10-shot groups of a control load consisting of hand-loaded Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings (at a distance of 100 yards of course.)  Those three groups had extreme spreads of:

0.537”
0.57”
0.69”

for an average extreme spread of 0.599”.

The three 10-shot groups were overlayed on each using RSI Shooting Lab to obtain a 30-shot composite group that had a mean radius of 0.19”.

Best 10-shot group of the control load.

Following the same procedures used with the control load, three 10-shot groups of the Black Hills red box 75 grain MHP fired from 100 yards were obtained.  Their extreme spreads measured:

0.96”
1.00”
1.04”

for an average extreme spread of 1.00”.

As with the control load, the three 10-shot groups from the red box ammunition were overlayed on each other to obtain a 30-shot composite group with a mean radius of 0.32”.

In the same manner as above, three 10-shot groups of the blue box 75 grain MHP were obtained from 100 yards with extreme spreads of:

1.11”
1.16”
1.16”

for an average extreme spread of 1.14”.

Those three 10-shot groups overlayed on each other had a mean radius of 0.37”.   Here are the 30-shot composite groups side-by-side for comparison.

The best 10-shot groups from the Black Hills 75 grain MHP loads.

Lastly, for the Internet Commandos in our audience, I fired a 3-shot group of the red box 75 grain MHP from 100 yards.  That group measured 0.276”.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for your nice comments about our ammunition. By the way, I didn't cast a vote or submit a rating since I might be a little prejudiced.

As a reminder, we do ask that anyone who has difficulties with any of our ammunition, or, would like to speak with us directly to please give us a call. We'll do our best to help you as much as possible.

Our office hours are: Monday thru Thursday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
                             Friday 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM
                             Mountain Time Zone
Thank You;

Carl Bullock
Customer Service Rep.
Black Hills Ammunition
PH: 605-348-5150

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Shot 100 rounds of 77gr. OTM red box. Very accurate through my CD-M4LE. No problems.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Red box B/H is g2g. I have had some minor problems with the blue box stuff lately (cracked cases, inconsistent bullet seating heights on 68 & 75 gr OTM ammo, etc.) and have decided that at the current escalated prices, there are better alternatives, like hotter 5.56mm Cor-Bon SMK ammo and Prvi 75 and 69-gr OTM, all of it factory fresh, more available, superior quality and less expensive. I might change my mind someday, but B/H blue box has lost me for now, too much BS and not enough QA/QC.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Please add your personal experience with Black Hills ammo. When you do, please give information about:
1) Bullet type/weight/loading/red box/blue box
2) Firearm used in
3) Approximate number of rounds fired.

I am trying to solicit only information about your PERSONAL experience with this ammunition. If you haven't used it, then please don't clutter up the thread. Information about proper functioning (or lack thereof) is obviously the most important, but factors such as the accuracy or other peculiarities you've noticed are informative also. If you have had problems with this ammo which were severe enough to cause you to stop using this ammo, then please describe them. And one more minor request: keep your reviews objective.

If you are voting that you had problems with this ammo, PLEASE give your feedback below and tell everyone what those problems were. If you don't, you're not being very helpful to those who are basing their purchasing decision on this thread.

Answers:
1.) Currently carry for duty Black Hills 60gr Nosler Partition (Red box)
2.) Bushmaster LE AR15 (16"bbl)
3.) Thousands of rounds with this ammo (almost time for a new barrel)

IMO Black Hills makes some of the best ammo on the planet.  Unfortunately for us they've stopped making the Nosler Partition ammo b/c they say they can't get the bullets anymore....that sucks.  I've seen some high-power shooters using this ammo straight out of the box for matches, which kind of told me the stuff is pretty consistent and perform well.

I've never had a problem with this ammo, but I've never shot their reman (blue box) stuff either.  Too bad I'm going to have to look elsewhere for Nosler Partition ammo.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#11]
77gr Blue box(not moly): 10 shot groups(average of three sets)
This was done with a bipod in front, and sandbags in back. 67°F 8mph SW wind
All shots taken with same lower: Stag, Geissele DMR, PRS. As well as the same scope and mount Mark 4 with LT mount.

100 yards

24" Krieger .723"
18" MK12/WOA .944"
16" Stealth/Lothar .948"
24" Bushy Varminter(1/9) 1.11" (not sure why it did so wel)
16" Stag(1/9) 2.1" (not the right ammo for that gun )

Sorry no pics(I know I know "it never happened")

Great ammo, as accurate as most handloads. Or at least I thought so untill my friend Jack used some 80gr nosler goodness in my space gun and got a .557" ten shot group...

Compared to my friends, I'm not a very good shot, so clearly this ammo is capable of more. The only gun out of all of those that I can outshoot is the stag...Shot many thousands of BH and never had an ammo related problem.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I shot some of the reloaded 68 grain Hornady OTM. Shot nice, grouped okay, but neither of my rifles really seemed to like that particular load.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Shoot Red Box 69 gr in Armalite 1-9 20" SPR no problems very accurate and consistent..

Shoot the Red Box 69 and 75gr in Colt A-2 carbine. Again nice accuracy and very consistent for 1-7 carbine.

No malfuncions  of any kind.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#14]
How clean does this ammo run? Will I be cleaning my AR for 2 hours after shooting?

How does this rate compared to PMC?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Molon:

(repost)

Black Hills 75 grain Match HP Ammunition:  blue box versus red box

http://www.box.net/shared/static/cbztfob2qs.jpg
The difference between Black Hills’ red box and blue box ammunition lies primarily with the brass case.  Red box ammunition is newly manufactured using virgin brass.  Blue box ammunition is referred to as "remanufactured” because is uses once fired brass that has been resized.  This enables Black Hills to sell the blue box ammunition at a reduced price compared to their red box ammunition.

Black Hills’ 75 grain Match HP (hollow point) ammunition is loaded with Hornady’s 75 grain BTHP Match bullet with a cannelure (referred to as the "T1C" here on AR15.com) and both the red box and blue box loads have a crimp at the case mouth.  Both loads are charged with "ball powder.”  The nominal OAL for the red box cartridges ran around 2.245” and for the blue box cartridges it was closer to 2.250".

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ez9cc7pep2.jpg
http://www.box.net/shared/static/8yrey8tq2g.jpg
http://www.box.net/shared/static/9q44m6umpp.jpg
http://www.box.net/shared/static/mc6xhrnjsj.jpg
The cases used in the red box ammo have sealed primers and the headstamp of most lots of this load read "BHA 223 MATCH.”  These virgin cases have a nominal length of 1.755”.  The cases used in the blue box load tend to be a mix of once fired Lake City and Winchester brass.  The military primer crimps has been removed by the reaming method.  The blue box loads do not have sealed primers.  

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ubb56mh6f8.jpg
http://www.box.net/shared/static/yv5edh0nnp.jpg
Black Hills does not perform a "trim to length” operation on the resized cases used in the blue box ammunition.  As a result, many of the cases are longer than the SAAMI recommended maximum length of 1.760”.  Several of the cases that I measured had a length of 1.775”.  This could potentially cause problems in a barrel with a minimum length chamber, though no malfunctions of any kind were experienced during the testing of this ammunition.  (Using a Sinclair chamber length gauge, I determined the chambers of my Colt barrels have a length of 1.780”.)

Both loads were chronographed using four different length barrels.  All of the Colt barrels used in testing have a NATO chamber and a 1:7” twist.  The 24” Krieger barrel has a 5.56 Match chamber and has a twist rate of 1:7.7”.  On their web-site, Black Hills advertises a muzzle velocity of 2,750 fps for these loads, but they do not state the barrel length associated with this velocity.

An Oehler 35-P chronograph with "proof screen technology” was used in testing.  All velocities listed are muzzle velocities obtained from the instrumental velocities using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software.  Strings of fire consisted of 10 rounds each.
http://www.box.net/shared/static/hkjmfrie71.jpg
While chronographing the Black Hills loads through the 24” Krieger barrel, I also chronographed three of Hornady’s SAAMI pressure, 75 grain loads that use the T1C bullet for comparison.
http://www.box.net/shared/static/c2k07mou0u.jpg
atmospheric conditions:

Average temperature- 80 degrees F

Humidity - 48%

Barometric pressure – 29.04

Elevation- 960 feet above sea level
View Quote
we can't thank you enough for your research!

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The organisation I work for has fired almost a million rounds of BH Mk 262 Mod 1, and I cannot find a single report of any defect or failure. All feedback has been positive.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#17]
The Black Hills Red box 168 gr. Match BTHP has been the best performing factory load in my custom Rem 700 .308 tactical rig for 100 - 300 yds. I am so pleased with it that I developed a "clone" load to duplicate those ballistics for short-range practice sessions and matches.  The 175s shoot well too, with zero issues or problems, but I hand load all of my long range match ammo.

I have also tried both the Blue box and Red box .223, 75 gr. Match BTHPs.

Firearm was a Bushmaster Match AR-15, 20" 1-9 HBAR, and also with a 16" 1-9 fluted HBAR upper, both free-floated.

The function of both the Blue box and Red box ammo was flawless, but accuracy of the 75 gr. loads in these two uppers was disappointing, grouping between 1-1/2" - 2" at 100 yds.  The Match upper easily shoots sub MOA with 69 gr. loads.  I believe the 1-9 twist is borderline for the Hornady 75 gr. BTHPs - work in some but not all.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top