Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/7/2007 8:37:11 PM EDT
I received a small amount of 7.62x51 on links from a friend that contained one round with a purple tip and one round with a green and white tip. The rest where 4 ball to 1 tracer. I was able to figure out what the green and white tip was quickly but cant find a thing as to what the purple tip is. I have Googled every combination I could think of and haven't come up with anything. I have no reason to believe that this round was just painted purple for the hell of it or to trick me in to starting a wild goose chase.

The purple tipped round weighs .7 grains less than a ball round and is not magnetic. The head stamp is LC 00. The bullet dose have a crimp grove. Anybody know what this round is. Thanks, Rob
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Violet:  Identifies incapacitating agent filler. Used for markings or bands.
sounds like it may be a chemical agent round...

(table f-2)

www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/4-30-13/appf.htm
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
It might be this a dim tracer seen through NVG. Try this  link and scroll down it should show  it . See if it works.

www.atk.com/Customer_Solutions_AmmunitionSystems/cs_as_ma_sc.asp
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It might be this a dim tracer seen through NVG. Try this  link and scroll down it should show  it . See if it works.

www.atk.com/Customer_Solutions_AmmunitionSystems/cs_as_ma_sc.asp

sounds more probable than chem.
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Check the link pretty sure on the violet one  being a dim tracer. The green and white  is  got me . The link shows  a great pic hoping  he will see it and say if it is the same.
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry I didn't tell anyone what the green and white tip was. It is a frangible round.
From what I have found the dim tracer is green over pink tip. I,m going to check the link now.
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like it is a dim tracer. The picture from the link didn't seem to match, it looked black to me, but the description says it is identified by a violet tip. Well purple and violet are the same color to me, so I figure that it is a dim tracer. Thanks for the help guys
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#7]
also the JGSDF(Japanese Ground Self Defense Force) used a purple or violet bullet tip paint code to identify  lower than NATO M80 pressure/velocity/recoil rounds for use in thier  type 64 assault riles arround 2200-2400 fps i think
keep us posted please
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#8]
M276 Dim Tracer (140gr projectile)

Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Green/Pink was the original 7.62NATO Dim Tracer tip color code, later it became Green/White.  Green/white was the original tip color code for frangible, but they haven't made that version of frangible in decades, so I guess they felt they could get away with reusing the tip color.  When the XM276 dim tracer was standardized about Desert Storm, they decided all the dim tracer series would be violet.  There's a 5.56 version, a .50 BMG version, etc.

Besides Green/Pink, Green/White, and, now Violet, there were other tip color codes used, White/Pink comes to mind as well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]
So the green and white tip I have is most likely a dim tracer as well. The case is marked LC 93. A few years after Desert Storm but close enough. The day after I got this stuff I was at a gun show and a lady had some green and white tips marked as dim tracers. I just figured she didn't know what the hell she was talking about. I guess I was wrong. I will have to buy something from her at the next show, just to show that I am sorry for having negative thoughts about her.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The Green/White Frangible can be differentiated from the Green/White Dim tracer by headstamp date.  Frang will be only real early dates, 1960's.  Didn't make them past the 60's.  The Frang bullet is also a very dark grey and there's practically no powder in the case.

The 7.62 Dim tracers are XM276 till purple tip, then they are M276.

The JSDF 7.62 in purple tip is a lighter color, more like lavendar and, of course, carries a Japanese headstamp.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top