(75)  13.16%

(73)  12.81%
You Must Be Logged In To Vote
Total Votes: 570
Author
Does not play well with others
Posted: 8/9/2006 1:42:27 PM
[Last Edit: 8/9/2006 4:46:41 PM by Zhukov]
Pleas add your PERSONAL experience with Ultramax .223 ammunition to this review thread. Do not add second-hand hearsay or your gut feelings to this thread, and certainly don't vote if you haven't shot it.

If you've had experience with this ammo - and especially if that experience leads you to vote negative - the add your comments to this thread. People are reading these reviews to learn why they should or shouldn't buy this ammo, and your input will help shape opinions. Please don't abuse it.

In your comments, please add:
1) Ammunition type
2) Rifle shot in
3) Number of rounds fired.
Daddy loves you. Now go away.
FMJ
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/9/2006 2:17:19 PM
[Last Edit: 7/7/2007 6:44:48 PM by FMJ]
223 Ballistic tip 40 gr shot only 20rds back in 2002
Shot in a 20 HBAR Bushmaster 1/9 twist
Ammo Seems well made and accurate

However I dont buy it and use mostly Black Hills Blue Box Now

ULTRAMAX has been around for a LONG TIME
I found that guys BLAME the AMMO
its the year 2007 COME ON
rob78
Dremel Warrior
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/9/2006 2:46:34 PM
I've shot the 62 gr. Ultramax in:

a mid-length Armalite 1/9- a couple hundred rounds without any significant issues

a carbine length Bushmaster barreled (RR lower) 1/7 - 100 rounds no problems

a rifle length gas system 16" Colt barreled (Bushmaster lower) - 50 rounds no problem

decent accuracy, certainly doesn't have the oomph of mil-spec loads...
"History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives."
-- Abba Eban

q3131
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/9/2006 4:20:46 PM
300 rounds of 55 gr FMJ from my Bushmaster A2.
shoots ok, but I can by new ammo for about the same, or less, than these reloads.
plowboy1989
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/9/2006 6:00:31 PM
It's all I ever used before I got BRD. I shot a few thousand rounds back when I had mini 14 syndrome and it worked well in them but never shot any in a AR.
KK66
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2006 12:06:59 AM
55 gr 150-round (?) pack from Dick's Sporting Goods.
RRA Entry Tactical.
Ammo seems to be clean and accurate.
However, I had total of 5 failures to fire. In all cases, primer had a normal deep strike.
The only reason I got that box - it was on sale, otherwise it costs almost as much as factory ammo.
Will not use it from now on, unless it will cost < 10 cents / round
QuinlanV
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2006 10:00:38 AM
[Last Edit: 8/10/2006 10:07:20 AM by QuinlanV]
I tried 1 box each of .45ACP, .44 Mag, and .223. All were very dirty and loaded very light/slow. Didn’t have any accuracy or function issues with the stuff I shot, but I was not happy enough with it to purchase anymore. They were fired from a Kimber TLE, S&W 629 Mountain Backpacker, and one of the original Carbon 15 rifles.
At our local range we have seen several issues and no longer allow it for class use. Twice I have seen squibs with the handgun ammo, and once with a .223, that required us to pound the bullets out with a cleaning rod. At this time I can't recall the make and model of the firearms.
On top of that Ultramax ammo was responsible for a kaboom in James Yeager’s personal rifle. He lent out his custom built SLR15 to one of his students not knowing that he was using Ultramax ammo. The student needed to borrow the rifle due to a stuck case in his own rifle (also Ultramax).
Ultramax did take responsibility and settle up with him. But I still can’t bring myself to use it or recommend it to anyone.
I know you are looking for firsthand accounts, and I was not personally present for the incident with Yeager’s rifle, but I was helping out at SLR15 rifles during that time period.

cckw
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/11/2006 12:37:52 AM
I have fired a fair amount of it in my AR, mini-14, and handguns. I like it real well for the price.
engineer2001
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2006 5:27:46 PM
[Last Edit: 8/26/2006 6:21:22 PM by engineer2001]
I've shot a little over 150 rounds of it so far (the Dick's SG 150-rd 55gr value packs for $30 each - a little over 20 cents/rd after tax), and it performs exactly the same for me as the Winchester value packs from Wal-mart. I get about 1 MOA or better from my 20" 1/9 twist DPMS chrome-lined upper. Also works fine in my 16" CAR, but I haven't taken the time to shoot at paper with it yet to see how well it works - just cans and fun targets. I have had no failures of any kind with this ammo (55-gr, 150-rd value packs). I recently bought another 300 rounds and have it loaded in mags ready to go.

Side note: I joined Dick's "Score Card" program, and I've almost got enough points to get a $10 gift certificate for more ammo.

Why is it that of the 9 people who have posted, all have great reports, only two have had even minor problems (dirty, slow complaint and a few failures to fire), but 8 people have voted that they had MAJOR problems with NO comments posted? Me thinks we have some trolls aboard this ship, mateys.

ETA:
I just sighted in my new 3-12X Barska scope with Ultramax 55-gr FMJ rounds from a Dick's Sporting Goods 150-rd bulk pack. I achieve 2 MOA grouping (two inch diameter pattern with absolutely no "flyers" at 100 yards) consistently with 10 shots and better than 1 MOA (about a 1/2" group) with 3-shot patterns (usually three holes almost touching). I had previously thought this was the defacto method of finding out how precise your shooting was, then I read the stickied post about 10-shot groups. I did this with my DPMS 20" chrome-lined barrel, lying prone, and using my Harris bipod. I have standard handguards (no free float), and a heavy, fluted barrel that was cryoaccurized by DPMS, by the way.

To see if it was better or worse than other brands, I bought two 20-rd boxes of Remington 55-gr FMJ .223 from Walmart ($5/20) and shot at a target placed beside my Ultramax bullet-riddled target. The point of impact was shifted 2 inches high and 2 inches to the left from the Ultramax zero, but it grouped almost exactly the same as the Ultramax (a little under 2 inches diameter pattern for 10 shots at 100 yards). I would have tried my WWB (Walmart Winchester white box value pack) ammo as well, but I am hoarding it until I can find more, and I'm down to 90 rounds.

Given that I can get 5 Ultramax rounds for the price of 4 Remington rounds (20 cents versus 25 cents per round), I am going to keep using the Ultramax that I get in 150-rd value packs. It's certainly not the highest quality ammo there is, but I have now run through about 300 rounds of it with zero problems and get better than decent accuracy from my rifle with it. Keeping all 10 shots in the 2" black square in my sight-in target at 100 yards and all 10 in one tight quarter-sized hole centered on the bulls-eye at 50 yards every time is about all I could ask for in precision with my non-precision build and my non-precise shooting method.

I've got to read more about sighting-in, though, to figure out why my zero point goes UP about 2.5 inches from 50 to 100 yards. The 5.56mm trajectory is weird, to say the least.
ElCamino
Rocket Man
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2006 5:29:46 PM
[Last Edit: 8/20/2006 5:30:04 PM by ElCamino]
I have not had any problems with it. I probably ran about 1000 rounds of 55gr FMJ total.

It was kind of expensive though, and I personally think there are better options for the price.
I'm not the man they think I am at home - oh no, no, no - I'm a rocket man.
DirtyDrew
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2006 2:11:50 PM
I have used this ammo many times. Not the best accuracy wise but hey, its cheap and I dont feel that it is underpowered like wolf. As mentioned earlier, you definetly have to inspect all of the rounds before shooting. I have had a few peculiar cartridges (flat spots, shallow seating) where I was puzzled that they made them through QC.
LJUnaTIC
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2006 10:02:42 PM
.223 55gr soft point had failure to extract due to case head seperation
Mageever
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/24/2006 8:06:48 PM
[Last Edit: 8/24/2006 8:11:22 PM by Mageever]
I've shot 100 of the 52 gr. hollow point and it was very accurate. I achieved 1 inch groups out of my LMT 16 incher. The brass was in great shape and has seen several reloads from myself as well. ETA: It was Lake City brass

I'm not buying it now because Sportsman's Warehouse thinks it is worth more than Black Hills bluebox.
RaynoEleven
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/24/2006 8:11:48 PM
My department uses Ultramax for practice ammo. I have gone about 1K of the stuff with no problems. I have heard some bad about it, but nothing first hand.

Semper Fi.
كافر
LordShogun
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/24/2006 8:20:12 PM
I've shot Ultramax .308 168grn BTHP with a Savage 12FVSS and it was driving tacks. Very consistant loads and dependable accuracy.
MitchAlsup
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/7/2006 11:57:11 AM
I have gone through one box of 50 and another 10 rounds of UM 75 Heavy Match in a comparison between the heavier bullets comercially available.

As fasr as my gun is concerned, this is good stuff. It grouped better then 69g Black Hills Blue Box, 73g Black Hills Blue box Berger, and 77g Black Hills Red box. This cartriage produced 3 ten shot groups equal to the best 10 shots groups with 55 g Black Hills Blue Box (and significantly better than the average 55g BH BB 10 shot groups).
engineer2001
I pity da foo!
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/7/2006 11:31:37 PM
It went back on sale again at Dick's and I just got my Dick's SG Platinum rewards Mastercard too ($10 off first purchase and $10 gift certificates for every $300 spent anywhere). I just bought 150 rounds for $20. Looks better (by a long shot) than my Rem UMC I just bought at Walmart - OAL is very consistent and no dings at all, whereas the REM UMC 55-gr FMJ/MC is always a crap shoot as far as bullet seating (sometimes you can see the cannelure well above the top of the case, and sometimes it's set so deeply that you see none of it at all on Rem UMC 55-gr). I guess thanks to my rewards card and the sale prices on again, I'm back on the Ultramax wagon.

I already have enough reward points to get another $10 gift certificate from previous "score card" purchases, but I have to wait up to 60 days for the cxertificate to show up in the mail (that's what their site says anyway - 60 days ).

This new box has all LC brass w/dates from 01 to 04 and a single LC 95 in there. Usually they are mostly LC 0-something and have a few Federal brass thrown in too, but this is all LC.
engineer2001 - When my get up and go done got up and went, I hanker for a hunk of cheese.
Nerves
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/9/2006 1:01:33 AM
I just purchased from Dick's Sporting goods 9mm 125 gr Nose Lead, 45 ACP 230 Gr NL, .223 rem 55Gr FMJ JKT.

The 45 ACP fired perfectly with no failures and with good "plinking" accuracy out of my Kimber tactical Pro II ( @+ inches) and XD 45 ACP service model (3.5+ Inches). It did not feed well in my Wilson combat CQB at all. This gun does not like cheap ammo of any kind.

My Beretta Elite II had no problems and the accuracy was great, similar to the Federal Hydra shock at 15 yards (sub 2 inches). The Bersa thunder had no failures but the accuracy was 5+" inches at 15 yards and many flyer's.

My S&W M&PT AR (1-9 chrome twist 16" Barrel) had no failures of any kind with 1 moa at 100 yards (EOTech 551 with Aimpoint 3 Magnifier. Overall, a great value so far, I will be putting 150 rounds of each caliber tomorrow at the range, before I start loading my mags.
DogFish
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/9/2006 9:44:16 PM
Stag Lefty 20" 1 in 9
55gr SP
500 rounds
no ftf
no squibs
no problems
Works great for killing pigs
ffhounddog
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/9/2006 10:57:24 PM
What are these places you are talking about that give you points for buying ammo and reward you for that. I want some rewards for buying ammo.
engineer2001
I pity da foo!
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/11/2006 12:45:50 AM
[Last Edit: 9/11/2006 9:05:45 PM by engineer2001]
www.dickssportinggoods.com

www.mydickssportinggoods.com

Once you get past the name, it's mostly a yuppie place for kayakking/hiking and baseball/basketball, but they do have a semi-decent (think somewhere about the level of Wal-mart) shooting/hunting section too. They have .223 hunting ammo (expensive) and Ultramax .223 55-gr FMJ blasting ammo plus all kinds of shotgun shells and pistol ammo too. They have decent prices, but they usually only get worth the trip there when the ammo goes on sale. I see sales about one to two times per month that last about a week.

Once you apply for the Platinum Rewards Mastercard (in the store is the only place to apply) and get approved instantly, they print you out a receipt with a temporary account number on it to buy stuff right then until your real card comes in the mail. You get $10 off your first purchase using the paper receipt card thingy. THEN, you get another $10 off in the form of a certificate in with your card when it comes, but it's only good for about a month. Both $10 off rewards have no minimum to spend listed on them, so I guess you can get $10 worth of ammo and get it totally free. After that point, whatever you spend in the store gets you 2 points per dollar. Putting anything else on the card at anywhere that accepts Mastercard gets you 1 point per dollar. 300 points at the end of the month gets you another $10 certificate.

Spend $600-900 per month on gasoline and groceries and put it on the card like I plan to start doing (just got the card and am switching it out for my main spending card), and you get $20-30 free in the store per month. That's about 150 rounds of Ultramax .223 55-gr FMJ in one bulk box for $30 that I get totally free each month. When I get more .223 stocked up than I care to shoot or want to store, or if I get tired of Ultramax, I'll start buying other kinds of ammo or gun accessories (scopes, flip-up scope covers, rings, gun safes, etc.) with the rewards.

Sorry to put this in the review thread, but I was just answering the Q posed above.

ETA: There was nowhere on the credit application to say I wanted a card for my wife too, so I called GE World Bank (card issuer) and asked to get her a card as well. When they sent her card, it came with ANOTHER $10 off coupon with her name on it. We each just went through the checkout at Dick's and got a box of pistol ammo (her .38 special for her revolver and my 9mm - both Rem UMC) for free!
engineer2001 - When my get up and go has got up and went, I hanker for a hunk of cheese.
WMHM4
Evil gun lover, hetero, conservative
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/11/2006 8:32:45 AM
[Last Edit: 1/18/2007 8:48:52 AM by WMHM4]
I shot around 200 rounds but I have a bunch more and plan to buy alot more so I will update as I shoot more of it.

I bought .223 55gr FMJ which I shot out of a Bushy M4 14.5" 1/9 twist.

The rounds worked flawlessly, every round went bang, no FTE, FTF or any problems at all.

Ultramax uses pretty much all Nato brass and most of it being Lake City which makes me happy.

It's not the most accurate ammo in the world but for range work it is more than good enough for me. I don't shoot for groups anyway.

UPDATE: 1/18/07
I have shot about another 500rds of the 55gr Ultramax through my Bushy 14.5" 1/9 and again every round went bang without a single problem. So total I have shot just under a 1,000rds of it and not one failure. I'm very happy so far with the ammo and will definetly continue to use it.
PROUD NRA MEMBER

كافر
cckw
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/12/2006 1:34:33 AM
This brand gets some bad things repeated about it, but it is always "heard" not experienced. The owner is a former Black Hills person and does pretty much a copy cat operation. I have shot 1000's of rounds in .223 and 9mm since I discovered the brand in the early 90's. I have found it to be clean and accurate.

One thing that is true, ammo loaded in like 02 or 03 had some bad primers (fail to fire). Due to this they switched to CCI primers and have been very good since. The brass colored primers are the old ones, silver are CCI and very relaible..... How do I know? I asked them!
Switters213
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/15/2006 4:46:03 PM
Shot about 150 rounds of Ultramax 55gr. FMJ out of my DPMS 16". Slow fire, started with a clean gun.

Towards the end of the 3rd box I had a failure to extract due to case head separation. Case broke in a clean circle about 1/2 inch up from the rim. It was Lake City brass.

Other than that it seemed consistantly (if a bit light) powered across 3 boxes of ammo and as accurate as anything else i've shot. (still working with the iron sights here. saving up for a Leupold Mk 4.)

All in all I think I would not buy this ammo again unless the price was very good. I think with a little research its easy enough to get better quality ammo at an equal or better price.
SecretKeeper
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/16/2006 12:02:52 AM
Shot 300 rounds of UltraMax 52 grain HP for 100 yd target shooting.
Not a single problem and comparing with BlackHills blue box 52 grain HP, I didn't see any difference in accuracy or overall performance.

If price is right, I would buy again for practices.
engineer2001
I pity da foo!
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/23/2006 11:05:02 PM
[Last Edit: 10/24/2006 2:58:14 AM by engineer2001]

Originally Posted By cckw:
One thing that is true, ammo loaded in like 02 or 03 had some bad primers (fail to fire). Due to this they switched to CCI primers and have been very good since. The brass colored primers are the old ones, silver are CCI and very relaible..... How do I know? I asked them!

By the way, the guy behind the counter at Dick's Sporting Goods just tried to sell me a box with the brass-colored primers (it's on sale again for $29.95/150, and I had $20 in reward certificates, so it cost me $9.95/150). I asked for a different box instead, and it had the silver CCI primers. It seems they don't rotate their stock, and they still have a few boxes of the old stuff on the shelf with the new.

If this shoots as well as the last three 150-rd boxes, I'll be very happy.
engineer2001 - Ain't got time for no jibba-jabba.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 5