Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2017 10:57:20 PM EDT
Leaving aside mag compatibility if you already have Glocks (which I don't, but I've been weighing getting a G17 or G34) does one have any clear advantages over the other? Do you just like one better than the other?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always felt that if you can't feed a mag fed weapon you have a problem. Glock mags are cheap, reliable and readily available.  I can also shove one in a pistol too. Not too many options for a metal Colt mags.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Colt-pattern 9mm...because they didn't make Glock-pattern lowers when I built mine.

I'd go Glock if I was doing it today:  a) mags readily available and b) compatible with the pistol.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Colt-pattern 9mm...because they didn't make Glock-pattern lowers when I built mine.

I'd go Glock if I was doing it today:  a) mags readily available and b) compatible with the pistol.
View Quote
This man's logic is spot on.^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The colt mag guns are easier/cheaper to get lrbho working.  I guess the mags are solid steel, too.  They'll outlast your grandkids.

Glock mags are cheaper and come in 20 different sizes.  But they all have some plastic parts that will eventually fail.  Maybe not for 50 years, who knows.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The colt mag guns are easier/cheaper to get lrbho working.  I guess the mags are solid steel, too.  They'll outlast your grandkids.

Glock mags are cheaper and come in 20 different sizes.  But they all have some plastic parts that will eventually fail.  Maybe not for 50 years, who knows.
View Quote
Maybe I got lucky.  But my Glock DDLES lrbho has always worked and never give any problems.    

For compatibility reasons, in the zombie apocalypse, everyone has Glock mags.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Colt style for me. Why?

Glock = 10rds max

Colt = 32+ rds
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.....have had a 9mm AR for over 10 years
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Get both.

I have two Colt pattern rigs....one using a QC10 lower the other with a Hahn dedicated mag block. Both run 100% as does the last round hold open.

The Glock rig is a QC10 lower set up similar to my Hahn block rig and runs good as well. Last round hold open can be hit or miss.

I personally prefer the Colt pattern rigs.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one of each style, Colt and Glock, Both rum great, Both have LRBHO, Both built on PSA lowers, The Glock has a New Frontier Armory LRBHO Upper.

If I had to choose between the two, I would most likely go with the Glock Pistol, mainly due to Magazine availability and cost.

Since I don't have to choose, I'll keep both, One for each hand.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Colt style for me. Why?

Glock = 10rds max

Colt = 32+ rds
View Quote
I'm guessing this is due to state law wherever you are?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Leaving aside mag compatibility if you already have Glocks (which I don't, but I've been weighing getting a G17 or G34) does one have any clear advantages over the other? Do you just like one better than the other?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I went colt, because I don't own any glocks and don't intend to own any glocks.

the colt mags were cheap and the mag block lets me use the lower for 2 calibers.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've always felt that if you can't feed a mag fed weapon you have a problem. Glock mags are cheap, reliable and readily available.  I can also shove one in a pistol too. Not too many options for a metal Colt mags.
View Quote
This.

Part of the reason I want one so bad is mag compatibility with pistols I already own.  They are reliable and cheap.  Easy to find gear for.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
LRBHO is an important feature for me, and though it seems they've gotten most of the kinks out it has been a long standing issue with Glock AR's. In addition, I find the double feed Colt mags easier to load, especially with the maglula. I also kind of prefer the straight rather than angle mag well, but not a big deal.

I'll probably end up getting a Glock compat lower when FM or whatever does theres. The idea of a second magazine in the pistol grip appeals to me. In addition, clear mags seem fun for no real reason, so I'd like that option. I just think the glock mag ar's need to have a little different aesthetic once you slant that magazine well.

Price for mags isn't really an issue. Sure Metalforms are $35 range, but on sale often. ASC mags get real cheap sometimes. Sure they're steal, if the weight offends, doesn't matter to me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This.

Part of the reason I want one so bad is mag compatibility with pistols I already own.  They are reliable and cheap.  Easy to find gear for.
View Quote
I never stick with a glock when I get one, but I'd love if there was an option for a beretta 92 magazine. It's not the most popular handgun to ever walk the earth (ala, glock), so it's always the same "no one will buy it" thing. Even though it's untested theory for the most part. Keltec Sub2000's in alternate mags certainly have no problem selling.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The idea of a second magazine in the pistol grip appeals to me
View Quote
I seem to remember reading that the grips that hold an extra magazine were pretty bad.  They hold a mag fine, but they're huuuuuge.  I say get a normal grip and tape 2 33rd mags together upside down.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I never stick with a glock when I get one, but I'd love if there was an option for a beretta 92 magazine. It's not the most popular handgun to ever walk the earth (ala, glock), so it's always the same "no one will buy it" thing. Even though it's untested theory for the most part. Keltec Sub2000's in alternate mags certainly have no problem selling.

Oh well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Oh well.
Here is your Beretta 92 mag compatible AR9.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#18]
And it is only $2000
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt style for me. Why?

Glock = 10rds max

Colt = 32+ rds
Yes
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes
View Quote
That sucks.

FWIW I'm going Glock mag even though I don't like Glock pistols and won't own one.  Why am I doing it then?  Simple... a LOT of other folks own one.  That means that they are relatively inexpensive.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That sucks.

FWIW I'm going Glock mag even though I don't like Glock pistols and won't own one.  Why am I doing it then?  Simple... a LOT of other folks own one.  That means that they are relatively inexpensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes
That sucks.

A lot cheaper! and available.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#23]
2 G17s & 1 G19
I don't use 33rd mags in my pistols and I probably wouldn't use 17rd mags in my 9mm AR's so I have stuck with the Colt pattern and Metalform mags
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#24]
If you are going to build a dedicated 9mm rig, Glock all the way.

If you are going to SBR one lower, and use it for multiple calibers, get the top loading Hahn block for Colt mags, and call it a day. Mine has been absolutely flawless.  Brownells Colt pattern mags have been great and are available at a really decent price.

If you haven't done the 9mm AR route yet, give it a shot, it is very addicting, and it gets cheaper everyday.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto. Had a 9mm SBR for over 17yrs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn.  Finally something for Beretta!  Too bad the military switched from the Beretta.... would have been interesting to have a 9mm w/ compatible mags for carbine & pistol!  Oh well...

Prior to Wilson, the only other one that announced a mag compatible carbine (that I can recall) was Keltec and I don't even know if that made it to market.... may have.  Granted, it is not an AR platform....
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#27]
With the Military dumping the Beretta a lot of Mags should be available and the Wilson is only $2000
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
With the Military dumping the Beretta a lot of Mags should be available and the Wilson is only $2000
View Quote
I must be "old"....  when folks say, "only" $2000..... no disrespect intended.

I remember when ya could put an AR together for less then $400.  Heck, I bought a used 20" upper for under $250 and "new" was only $300 back then.....  

Yes, Wilson has the right to charge what they want, plus they are "Wilson".  Quality.  And I assume that they are the only ones who offer a Beretta version magwell at the moment.  Funny how the pics on their site are all of the Glock mag well version....

I just shake my head at the prices I see now that are considered "normal", be it pistol or long gun....

(I have a Beretta, got one of those used surplus Italian police ones.... looks like crap, but shoots.  Bad thing is, it is the European mag release.... bottom of the grip button vs the higher one they have now....)

I wonder what old Glaston Glock thinks about AR's using his pistol's mag.... lol.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got both.  If I were doing it again I'd just go with Glock mags.   The only thing I don't like about them is the angle you insert them at, but that isn't a huge deal.   On the Colt mag side my lower with the mag adapter works well.  The dedicated Colt mag lower is a steaming piece of crap.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:28:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Colt style - because you can fit more ammo in less pouch real estate and those mags make for great protection. ( I was hit by a ricochet that almost knocked me over - mag pouch took the hit no problem.)
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I've got both, had the Colt pattern (Hahn block) for years, no issues feeding any type of ammo.

Recently did a Glock setup on a PSA dedicated lower (non-lrho), also no issues but so far only ran 115, 124 & 147 fmj.

Mags for both are plentiful and costs about the same. Glock does have the advantage of using cheap Korean drums although I had to file down one of the feed lips to clear the mag catch.

LRHO has always been reliable in my Colt pattern which is handy as it doesn't like to seat a full mag on a closed bolt. Glock pattern seats on a closed both with no issues.

Two things that make me lean towards the Colt pattern is the feed angle which is flat and parallel to the chamber, and the feed ramps on the Hahn block.

The Glock has to feed upwards at an angle and has a large gap to clear with no ramps. So you chamber should have a generous bevel to help with feeding.

The only other difference I see is that Glock 17 rnd factory mags (the best option IMHO) are always on sale and easy to find cheap. 30 round factory Glock mags are harder to find on sale although last sale I saw theyw ere available for $25 a pop vs $50.

30 round Colt pattern mags are the cheapest & most plentiful, whether Metalform (the best) or ASC. But 20s are harder to come by and usually cost a few dollars more.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Ive tried the colt pattern and couldnt get it to work to save my life. I blame obama. i got rid of it to save myself the frustration.

This year i put together a glock pattern from PSA for under $600. Works like a champ and have had zero issues after 400 rds or so.

Glock mags are readily available in a variety of round counts and i just picked up a glock 19, so i have extra mags all around.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#33]
I went with Glock pattern for the compatibility reasons, and I already had a ton of ETS and G18 mags. I'm using the Runner Runner lower and so far my lrbho mod has been perfect with everything except Magpul mags. The follower on the Magpuls tilts down and won't engage the trip. Interestingly, they do the same about 50% of the time in my Glocks as well and won't lock the slide open.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I have both a PSA 9mm AR and a Colt 9mm AR.  If I only bought one it would be the one that uses Glock mags.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
What kind of Glock-ish mag is that? Me kinda likee.

Nevermind. Found them. I didn't know Magpul had come out with extended mags.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top