Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2017 6:09:07 PM EDT
I have had some issues on ejecting while shooting.
I was adjusting the ejector getting it to tuck in to the bolt and ride up against it. Making sure it was flat and not twisted as well.

I have a cmmg bolt as well as a bolt from another company. I was using the other one and decided to try the cmmg bolt and found that the ejector was to high to let the cmmg bolt move forward.
I can't imagine if it hits the shell at all if where it hits matters that much but have to ask.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]
it is part of a spikes mag block. but the adjustment doesn't work. I loosened both allen screws but it won't move up or down.

I will try to find a new host since photobucket started charging and post back.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
imgur.com is what you seek
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the hosting sugguestion.

Here are my pics. let me know if you have to see something else.

you can see the height difference between the two bolts. one on the right is cmmg. the left is the one I set the gun up for.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Tagged fer lernin'.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:36:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
it is a spikes bottom loading block.

I guess looking at it again it isn't adjustible. I would have to pull the mag block down.

I thought it was because of the screws holding it in, but I guess that is just assembly so it can be replaced?

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Need a pic from the top to get an idea who made the block, but I am 99.999 % certain the ejector isn't adjustable. don't see anything that is obvious but it is late and I'm on a phone and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. Is the block top load or bottom load?
View Quote
All ejectors are "adjustable".  You just need to be careful when bending them so you don't break them.  There are also pics floating around, but in general, the ejector needs to be adjusted so it rides as high as possible and towards the center of the bolt for ideal contact.  Some bolts ae interchangable, and others are not.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#9]
if I adjust this down so it clears both bolts, is that a problem since it isn't riding as high in the grove as it used to? or is center center no matter what the height?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
if I adjust this down so it clears both bolts, is that a problem since it isn't riding as high in the grove as it used to? or is center center no matter what the height?
View Quote
There's not a large margin of error with the position of the ejector.  The only way to know for sure is to try it and see if you have any ejection issues.

Why are you trying to set the gun up to run 2 different bolts?  Why not just stick with one and set the gun up properly for that bolt.  I believe Colt/RRA/Spinta bolts are generally machined pretty much the same.  If you want to have a spare bolt that you can throw in the gun, get the spare from the same company as the primary so you don't have to deal with parts machined to different specs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I am not trying to set it up to run 2 different bolts.

I happen to have 2 different bolts and was wondering why the height difference and if it might be causing my ejection issues.

Everytime I have taken it out, I get a case that doesn't leave the chamber.
Sometimes it is after 2 or 3, sometimes I get almost a full mag.

I had checked for straightness and flat nose, but I wasn't sure if height mattered.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I happen to have 2 different bolts and was wondering why the height difference and if it might be causing my ejection issues.
View Quote
There isn't a mil spec for the 9mm stuff, so every company seems to do whatever they want.  There is a small window for proper ejector placement - if outside that window, you can experience issues.

If you're not going to be switching bolts, set the ejector properly for whatever bolt you will be running and if you do switch bolts at some point, then adjust things for that bolt.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Everytime I have taken it out, I get a case that doesn't leave the chamber.
Sometimes it is after 2 or 3, sometimes I get almost a full mag.

I had checked for straightness and flat nose, but I wasn't sure if height mattered.
View Quote
If the spent case does not leave the chamber you have an issue with the EXTRACTOR.  The extractor should be perpendicular to a line through the extractor and the center of the bolt.  You can twist the nose of the extractor to bring it into alignment.  Just remove the extractor and put it in a vice and use a pair of needle nose pliers to twist the nose.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If the spent case does not leave the chamber you have an issue with the EXTRACTOR.  The extractor should be perpendicular to a line through the extractor and the center of the bolt.  You can twist the nose of the extractor to bring it into alignment.  Just remove the extractor and put it in a vice and use a pair of needle nose pliers to twist the nose.
View Quote
Sounds like some additional clarity may be needed on what the real issue is.

I've seen fired cases leave the chamber, stay on the bolt face as the bolt cycles, and end up back in the chamber when the bolt closes because they never hit the ejector - unless you knew that was what happened, it could seem like the fired case never left the chamber.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#15]
sorry maybe I stated it wrong.
The spent case leaves the camber.
It sometimes is in backwards, sometimes it just looks like a double feed with the spent case above the newly stripped round.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:22:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
sorry maybe I stated it wrong.
The spent case leaves the camber.
It sometimes is in backwards, sometimes it just looks like a double feed with the spent case above the newly stripped round.
View Quote
I'd try a lighter buffer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:53:07 AM EDT
[#17]
can you tell me what the lighter buffer does in this case?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
can you tell me what the lighter buffer does in this case?
View Quote
If the rounds are low powered enough, they may not be fully cycling the bolt and ejecting the spent case - giving the impression that you have an ejection issue.

Ideally, you want to match the bolt/buffer mass to your loads.  If you run 'light' loads, you can run a lighter buffer to ensure full cycling of the bolt.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#19]
^ that and increases the BCG speed so when the brass hits the ejector it's more likely to get tossed out of the ejection port than fall on the next round coming up from the magazine.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#20]
just using factory WWB, so not sure it is a power issue. I have a spare standard buffer, I will give it a try next time.
not sure why it wouldn't always be an issue.

Any other possible reasons?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#21]
With a properly adjusted ejector, the case head impact area for the ejector is less than half of the area of the face of the ejector.  Look at the bolt face and imagine that the ejector notch wasn't there...that's the space the ejector has to be in to work properly.

The ejector must ride as high as possible in the bolt channel without dragging.  It must ride as close to the center of the bolt as possible without dragging.  In both directions, it takes gentle tapping or bending in the appropriate direction to get where you want.

How much clearance do you need?  As little as possible.  Seriously, you want a few oxygen molecules between the bolt and the top and inside of the ejector.  If you're worried that the ejector is dragging on the bolt, use "poor man's Dyechem" (a Magic Marker) to color both surfaces of the ejector, then see if it gets scraped off.  If it does, tweak in microns until you don't drag anymore.

Since the ejector is both exposed and relatively flimsy, you also need to be careful when the block is out of the gun and/or when the lower is separated from the upper.  If there's a possibility the ejector got bumped, recheck its alignment.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for the hosting sugguestion.

Here are my pics. let me know if you have to see something else.

http://i.imgur.com/T7Yvsgd.jpg
View Quote
I just got one of PSA's complete glock mag lowers (no other parts yet) but your ejector looks very different from mine.

New design, or because mine is a dedicated glock and yours is using a mag block?  

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I have only seen like 3 mag blocks. Spikes, hahn and a no namer company. They all look like mine. So I would have to guess as you say because it is a mag block.

But that is interesting, I wonder how much it matters on that shape.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top