Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2017 10:22:26 PM EDT
Just picked up a Ciener conversion.  Thinking about converting this to a dedicated upper eventually.  Does anyone know if the CMMG collar is compatible w/ the Ciener kit for this purpose.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#1]
that is what I used to build mine with works great
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the CMMG is a Ciener copy. The copyright expired a long time ago, Arthur W. Ciener .22 kits have been around since the 1960's.

I have a dedicated .22 upper that uses the Ciener kit minus the chamber insert. The bolt face mates to the rear of the barrel upon closing.

I still own the chamber insert should I ever want to try the kit in a standard rifle. Accuracy Speaks built the upper for me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, mine works great.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a ciener kit from the early 80's and it has a different firing pin that dented a chamber on a dedicated upper I had. The firing pin is wider. I haven't looked at it for a few years so I can't be a lot more specific.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe the CMMG is a Ciener copy. The copyright expired a long time ago, Arthur W. Ciener .22 kits have been around since the 1960's.
View Quote
The CMMG kit is essentially the same as the .22 LR AR-15 conversion that J. A. Ciener still sells.  The inventor of the kit was Max Atchisson.  He invented the assembly in 1970 when he was an employee of Military Armament Corporation (M.A.C.) who initially sold the units in the early 1970's.  Ciener bought the manufacturing rights in 1993.  A more complete history can be found on pages 192-194 of the book about Gordon Ingram and the guns he invented, "The MAC Man" by Frank Iannnamico and Don Thomas.  The conversion kit patents would have expired some time before the Clinton Assault Rifle and High Magazine Capacity Mag Ban expired in 2004.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top