Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2017 7:36:22 PM EDT
Are there any 9mm compensators that work as well as the .223/5.56 comps?

If not what do you have?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
there is not enough gas running through a PPC so its not worth the bother.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
there is not enough gas running through a PPC so its not worth the bother.
View Quote
Yeah I get that but in the USPSA game every bit helps.  I started to rethink this when loading some of my back-shelf powder yesterday afternoon.  It's green dot. The case is 90-95% full even with a medium charge of 4.9grs.(4.7-5.2) w/125gr bluebullet.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
While a PCC comp will never be as effective as a .223 comp, the additional weight hanging off the barrel could assist with reducing muzzle rise.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I built my PCC up with this comp:
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JP_9MM_Tactical_Compensator_1_2x36_BLACK_p/jp-tc-9mm.htm

It's my first PCC, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it seems effective to me...16" barrel btw.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah I get that but in the USPSA game every bit helps.  
View Quote
Sorry but I almost blew coffee all over my computer. What you said is laughable.

For example, I shot my first ever tactical rifle match with an M1 carbine and took second place in a field loaded with tactic-cool AR-15s.  The guy who took first had an HK 93, which is to say my M1 carbine beat a field of about 20 competitors using compensator equipped ARs.  How'd that happen?  It happened because I spent my time learning to be a better shooter, rather than trying to build a rifle that was supposed to magically make me a better shooter.

I shot my last tactical rifle match with a pretty much straight up XM-177E2 clone.  The only change is a heavier profile barrel for greater stability and improved accuracy.  I took first in that one, again out of a field of about 30.  Why?  Because it is light, maneuverable, well suited to the role, and I shot it enough to get really good with it.

My point here is that whether you're shooting a .223 or a PCC, you are far better served shooting a light and maneuverable carbine that you are shooting one with a load of tactical crap on it.  I'm always amazed that shooters will take a 6.5-7 pound carbine and then turn it into a 9 or 10 pound piece of crap by the time they are don adding stuff to it, and then think that will improve tactical shooting.

Start with a minimalist carbine and then only add what you absolutely need for the role at hand.  

A compensator works by redirecting the high pressure gasses that are exiting the barrel. In a 9mm carbine the amount of gas and velocity of that gas is so small that a compensator has no effect.  If it has no effect, it adds nothing to the carbine.  If it adds nothing to the carbine, it adds nothing to the role.  It's all downside, so leave it off.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Dakota... I use a Miculek style brake from McDonald Precision Components (their EQ) and while I can't notice an appreciable reduction in recoil on my 16" PCC, I get about 1/2 the dot movement at 25yd compared to a bare muzzle... YMMV
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I tried all sorts of muzzle devices on my 9mm AR and Evo, flash hiders, comps, blast cans, etc and short of my silencer any muzzle device doesn't do a damn thing for recoil control.

You would be better off with a blast/flash can to reduce uprange sound to the shooter and RO. The comp is not going to do a damn thing, not even "every bit counts" worth of difference.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#8]
From what I've been reading, people are getting more gains from lighter bolt/buffer weight combos than comps for reducing recoil/muzzle rise. It's a trial and error thing as your handloads will also dictate what combo works best.

And ditch the higher PF reasoning for working a comp. The insignificant gain of gas will be completely overshadowed by the increase of bolt speed (recoil) and again, more dot movement.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
This is not GD This is not GD.

I do have a lot of experience in open class(Production these days).  I am new to PCC.  Our 1st thru 5th place is separated by about 3-5sec and a few points. If I can save a 10th or two during a course of fire I'l take it. If I can get a "A" score and not a "C" I'll take it.  Every little bit does count.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]
If you haven't already, take a look on the Enos forum.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you haven't already, take a look on the Enos forum.
View Quote
Thanks! member there.  They take the Zen to new levels
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm kinda curious if higher pressure/velocity rounds such as 10mm, .40, .357 SIG, etc, might potentially gain a bit of benefit from a comp.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm kinda curious if higher pressure/velocity rounds such as 10mm, .40, .357 SIG, etc, might potentially gain a bit of benefit from a comp.
View Quote
The latest Blue Press(Dillon Precision) had a write up on PCC.
depending on load the 9mm(minor) loss 50fps in a 16" barrel.  The higher pressure Major rds gained fps in the 16"

yeah they would benefit more from a comp.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I built my PCC up with this comp:
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JP_9MM_Tactical_Compensator_1_2x36_BLACK_p/jp-tc-9mm.htm

It's my first PCC, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it seems effective to me...16" barrel btw.
View Quote
Thanks! I'll check it out!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I've tried on my 16" back to back with and without a brake and it didn't make a lick of difference. As everyone said, not enough gas, not enough pressure. Additionally, being blowback, the recoil is pretty all transferred to the bolt before the bullet leaves the muzzle. What you feel is that mass of the bolt and buffer slamming back and forth a split second later. It's quite a different recoil impulse, and one I'm not sure a brake would be particularly helpful with even with enough gas.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#17]
As well as added weight, the use of a compensator or other muzzle device in connection with most pistol caliber carbines may provide some performance enhancing placebo effect.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I put my 9mm SBR together quite a few years ago when the parts and accessories availiable weren't anything like they are now. But, I did put a Smith Vortex FH on it. No, I'm not expecting it to do much with a 9mm, but it does look nice. They were one of the few companies to make a FH that to would fit a RRA barrel threads.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a RRA 9mm 16" carbine built like my AR. It's a sweet rifle, but I was disappointed in the muzzle rise for fast shooting and double taps. So I too have been researching how to shoot really fast with little to no recoil and muzzle rise. I've read the debate with comps, but I got two of them anyways. The PSA break which I'm willing to sell shipped for cheap and a break off of eBay. I believe they help slightly with muzzle rise. The issue is was everyone says, the bolt and the buffer due to being a direct blow back system. So I'll be asking some questions in another thread about hydraulic vs aktive vs a heavier or lighter buffer based off hand loads.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
.....The issue is was everyone says, the bolt and the buffer due to being a direct blow back system. So I'll be asking some questions in another thread about hydraulic vs aktive vs a heavier or lighter buffer based off hand loads.
View Quote
It'll depend on the load you are using.

The 135,000 minimum power factor in the IDPA's provisional rules means you can use a 115 gr bullet at 1175 fps, a 124 gr bullet at 1090 fps or a 147 gr bullet at 920 fps.  Those are all at least 200-300 fps below the potential of the 9mm cartridge in a 16" carbine using a tailored load and are still 100-200 fps about what you can get with off the shelf 9mm ammunition.

The load drives the choice of buffer.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top