Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2017 8:15:32 PM EDT
Does the conversion kit work with a dedicated 22 barrel?  It looks like there would be a fitment issue between the barrel and bolt extension
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#1]
you have to replace the 'bullet shaped' part of the kit with a collar that is made to fit the dedicated barrel..

Brian
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Are there instructions anywhere on how to do this?
I just got the 9" barrel and the Bravo conversion.
How does one remove the fake cartridge on the conversion?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does one remove the fake cartridge on the conversion?
View Quote
CMMG .22 LR Conversion for AR-15 (Take down)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0iwQxpwXQ0
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, that's stupid easy.
Thanks
Now, I feel like an idiot.
Oh well, my problem is solved
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Now, I feel like an idiot.
View Quote
I wouldn't.

The fellow in the video makes it look slightly harder than it needs to be.  I would hold the bolt back with a string or zip-tie so you aren't using one hand just for that.  Then I'd rotate the collar out of one side, spreading the arms just enough to let one side pass.

The arms look robust, but I've read that disassembly can have them mis-aligned or worn out over time.  I suspect that some people may be rougher than necessary in this process.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#7]
zukiphile right on the money here.

If you buy a CMMG barrel can get the "collar" that replaces the "cartridge shaped" piece to make it run.  For what its worth I ended up replacing the extractor and firing pin to get mine running as reliable as I wanted.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you buy a CMMG barrel can get the "collar" that replaces the "cartridge shaped" piece to make it run.  For what its worth I ended up replacing the extractor and firing pin to get mine running as reliable as I wanted.
View Quote
I bought the CMMG.  I've only had it disassembled once to polish the rails and feed ramp and try some ideas for buffers.

Did you use another CMMG firing pin and extractor, or did you use Taccom parts?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I bought the CMMG.  I've only had it disassembled once to polish the rails and feed ramp and try some ideas for buffers.

Did you use another CMMG firing pin and extractor, or did you use Taccom parts?
View Quote
I bought the Taccom.  The recoil spring the kit comes with is not of appropriate size to keep it from binding and it also is lighter in spring rate.  I was having issues with the bolt coming all the way closed causing misfires so after the spring slipped the rod and jammed my weapon up after 3 shots I took it all apart and put the factory spring back.  Firing pin seems good but honestly the pressure plug in the buffer tube has likely made the biggest difference.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, the bullet shaped collar just pops off and put in the CMMG one. Takes no time at all. I build mine a couple years ago with the cmmg 22lr barrel and it runs great. I like using it with the 50 round blackdog machine drums.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I bought the Taccom.  The recoil spring the kit comes with is not of appropriate size to keep it from binding and it also is lighter in spring rate.  I was having issues with the bolt coming all the way closed causing misfires so after the spring slipped the rod and jammed my weapon up after 3 shots I took it all apart and put the factory spring back.  Firing pin seems good but honestly the pressure plug in the buffer tube has likely made the biggest difference.
View Quote
I think you just saved me a couple of dollars.  I was going to round out an order to Taccom with spare recoil springs; I'll get CMMG instead.  (I hear about how these wear out and cause damage from hard cycling, but they are so much more robust than 10/22 recoil springs, It's hard to see how this could be.)

The firing pin interested me too.  I guess these conversion bolt firing pins break with an unusual frequency.  Taccom says that theirs is harder, but my sense is that harder may mean more brittle as well.

I keep trying to think of a way to jerryrig a pressure plug, but most things are more expensive and would be harder to use.

Thanks for the benefit of your experience.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Red Green handyman special for TACCOM pressure plug replacement, a couple of quarters in front of the buffer held in place by Duct Tape.   This is a quick and easy solution if your not switching uppers and using the same lower for a centerfire upper.

I found once I went to two stage match triggers I rarely break a firing pin.  When I was using Mil Spec FCG I was regularly breaking firing pins.  YMMV

I still keep a couple of spare firing pins in my parts bin.  Black Dog Machine also sell firing pins and extractors if your ordering magazines.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Red Green handyman special for TACCOM pressure plug replacement, a couple of quarters in front of the buffer held in place by Duct Tape.   This is a quick and easy solution if your not switching uppers and using the same lower for a centerfire upper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The 50 cent solution?  I'll try it.

EDIT - now you have me thinking of supergluing a few pennies onto a crumby buffer.  That's my two cents for the moment.

Quoted:

I found once I went to two stage match triggers I rarely break a firing pin.  When I was using Mil Spec FCG I was regularly breaking firing pins.  YMMV

I still keep a couple of spare firing pins in my parts bin.  Black Dog Machine also sell firing pins and extractors if your ordering magazines.
I only have S&W magazines and a Boonie Packer adapter at this point.  I'll take a look at BDM.

I also have some Rock River two stage triggers that I've tuned to my satisfaction, and I've never had a problem with one in a centerfire, but I hear they won't stand up to 22lr use.  Sounds like I need a Geissele or MBT.  Your observation is appreciated in part because I hate single stage MIL triggers.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#14]
They make a great dedicated or conversion kit. Just call their tech support line and they seem very knowledgeable.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top