Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2017 12:22:41 AM EDT
Well gentleman I have finally had my ProMag block returned and it is the new and improved model. From what I have been told is that it is now made in house and seems to be a newer design.

Some changes are that it is now two pieces and designed to be inserted from the bottom. You insert part A up til it locks into the mag release and then slide part B or the locking part into the block.

First impressions were a sturdier plastic and nicer finish then the old blocks. I didn't realize that it was a 2 piece until I read the directions for installation. I actually installed it like a top loading block.  The 2 piece design seems to work very well as I had to test and see how it got together.  

As you can see you separate the parts and then load the magwell part first.

Then once you slide that up and push towards the back of the magwell it should lock in on the mag catch.

The next step is to insert the feed ramp straight up until it locks I to the block.

Now it's locked in go ahead and attach your upper and you should be good to go.

I am using ASC mags and they lock in great I can even lock them in on a closed bolt something I had slight issues with before.

The feed ramp is a bit different I believe as it is located on part B now however it seems to be a great angle and looks great.  

I hand fed an entire 30 round mag through it tonight and had no issues so tomorrow the real test starts.

Even seems to feed my JHP now which was a no go with the last block.

Heading to the range at 10am and I will see how it holds up. Can't wait to report back.

Not sure on a price for the new blocks as mine was replaced under warranty.  Got to love a lifetime no hassle warranty.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting, I've never had much luck with anything from ProMag.

Please do post range results
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#2]
how about some pics of the new block in and out of the lower
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I run a ProMag 9mm block, must be the old one. It inserts from the top and is two pieces. Plastic walls are flimsy but it's being supported by the magwell itself so I guess it's fine for $40.

It eats FMJ like no ones business without any hiccups with promag 9mm mags. Steel case included so big plus. It does not like metalform/colt mags. Jams up every few rounds with those. Has to run promag 9mm mags, which is fine by me because metalform tare extremely hard to load and heavy AF. Rounds drop in easy with the promag mags.

Cons...the mags don't drop free and it's not a slick reload. Too much friction between the block and mags. Gotta strip them to eject and give the mags a hard tap to seat.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
If they've cataloged the new one, I'm not seeing it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Is there LRBHO?

I has the older promag block that went in from the top...you has to remove the bolt catch to do so, but the bolt locked back on an empty mag.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Little update everything runs great.  Still doesn't feed hollowpoint however I have never tried factory HP ammo and always my reloads.

It is basically the same as the old top loading block however the new 2 piece design makes it so you don't have to remove the bolt catch to install it.

Super simple design and LRBHO works flawlessly.

Honestly one of my favorite guns to shoot. Made a new case for it as well today.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm....I may need one, so I can use my SBR lower with a 9mm upper.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah that's the route I went for my SBR lower as well.

Here is a couple pics of my new discrete case.

Take it out and put it together in a few seconds.  
Feels like James Bond!!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top