Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2017 10:40:41 PM EDT
I just don't see many kits or conversions being bought or sold for that matter, anymore. I busted out my old CMMG stainless kit tonight threw it in a cheapo Anderson build I did with a 1/9 Bushmaster 14.5" barrel and took it to the range. Using my Vortex Sparc I was able to shoot several 1" 5 shot groups at 25 yards and a few 2" groups at 50 yards, most were in the 2.5-3" range out there though. Gun worked perfectly.

I even have the BHO kit, never have installed it though, probably should do that but they don't even make that stuff anymore apparently....
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure what you mean. I just bought a conversion kit a couple of months ago, and last week, I ordered up a dedicated .22lr barrel from cmmg. It seems like they had plenty in stock and people were ordering.

The gun market is slow as of recently. Obama is out of a job, and he was the firearm industry's best salesman. Hillary nearly earned that title, but luckily didn't. So now the market is a buyer's market. You'll be getting stuff on the cheap.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Not if you want to go suppressed!  

Or retro-ish...

Or want a different rail...

Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Naww. There's some configurations you can't do or that aren't practical with the 15-22...like pistols and SBR's.
20170510_084839(0) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20170510_084447 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

When it comes to a lightweight tacticool rifle, it's just fine.
20170207_084414 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell no they aren't dead, I just picked up another too
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:51:53 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I've seen the conversion kits are just as accurate as the 15-22's. Besides I built a nice AR and I want to run it not a 15-22.

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once you get a can, a 4"-4.5" AR-22 with a 7" rail is the only way to go..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAbXUG1QBtQ
View Quote
That is correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_oEjnulRBA
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once you get a can, a 4"-4.5" AR-22 with a 7" rail is the only way to go..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAbXUG1QBtQ
That is correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_oEjnulRBA
I have several rimfire cans. I SBR'd a pair of 10/22 instead.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll take my Mega build over the M&P 15-22 any day of the week.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I need to build a Stag lefty up for the Sinister.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll take my Mega build over the M&P 15-22 any day of the week.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/22-206325.JPG
View Quote
hmm...seems like a pattern is forming.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I would not own my Spikes dedicated 22lr AR if those smith & Wesson 22lr's had been around when I purchased it. I would have saved a few hundred.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I actually sold my M&P .22 and bought a CMMG kit and mags with the money from it.  

I like it better as it's training with my actual rifle and I don't have to double the investment to set a dedicated .22 up the same way.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Sold my 15-22 to build a dedicated .22 SBR. No regrets. I never liked how the 15-22 felt in my hands.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

SBR suppressed 15-22. Too much fun. I do plan on building a .22 upper for one of my other SBRs though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm thankfull for the 15-22. I have three conversions with boonie packer. The real Ar22, is the real deal. Just can't do everthing on a 1522. Besides, ar22 being better for sbr, they also shine in the full auto and replacement parts. 15-22  breaks, it has to go back for warrenty, and if you have yours modded, you may have to send in original for for them to warranty.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

SBR suppressed 15-22. Too much fun. I do plan on building a .22 upper for one of my other SBRs though.
View Quote
Is this a chopped SW 15/22 rail?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#20]
It is. Had to cut about 2 inches of the rail to make sure the supressor cleared it.  I might do a longer form 1 suppressor that is 8 inches long with the new 15-22 so I don't have to cut the mlok rail.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you guys using CMMG 4.5" barrels?  It seems everything from TACCOM is sold out and the Beyer barrels cost more.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I have neither.  Here's why.

When I was looking at conversion kits, I read lots of reviews about mediocre accuracy due to the mismatched barrel-cartridge dimensions.  Even so, the conversion kits were expensive and hard to find (long lead).  The approach evolved into buying a rimfire upper raising the price even further.  When I saw the M&P 15-22, I could buy an entire rifle for less than a new, dedicated upper.  The M&P15-22 issue was one of overkill.  

I wanted a rimfire conversion to avoid assault weapon registration; I didn't want to buy a new rifle.

This overall situation (lead time, cost, overkill) stifled the purchase, altogether.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:22:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When I was looking at conversion kits, I read lots of reviews about mediocre accuracy due to the mismatched barrel-cartridge dimensions.  Even so, the conversion kits were expensive and hard to find (long lead).  The approach evolved into buying a rimfire upper raising the price even further.  When I saw the M&P 15-22, I could buy an entire rifle for less than a new, dedicated upper.  The M&P15-22 issue was one of overkill.  

I wanted a rimfire conversion to avoid assault weapon registration; I didn't want to buy a new rifle.

This overall situation (lead time, cost, overkill) stifled the purchase, altogether.
View Quote
What accuracy would you consider acceptable from a conversion kit? Say from the bench @ 50 yards with a maginfied optic.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What accuracy would you consider acceptable from a conversion kit? Say from the bench @ 50 yards with a maginfied optic.
View Quote
Ask this of the people who were complaining about poor accuracy.

I am not interested in discussing accuracy, my post focusses on the decision-making process and the inputs received that pushed me away from a conversion kit.  Actually, it pushed me away from a rimfire altogether, due to cost.  I posted to explain what I encountered along the way, in hopes that represented the thinking/experience of at least a few others.  

I am re-looking at a rimfire for the same reason - new laws redefining "assault weapons".  If the AR is a rimfire, it is NOT an assault weapon.  Even so, the cost is high and I lose my centerfire cartridge.  It is just not a great fit for my needs.

I'm rambling.  I'll shut up now.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ask this of the people who were complaining about poor accuracy.

I am not interested in discussing accuracy, my post focusses on the decision-making process and the inputs received that pushed me away from a conversion kit.  Actually, it pushed me away from a rimfire altogether, due to cost.  I posted to explain what I encountered along the way, in hopes that represented the thinking/experience of at least a few others.  

I am re-looking at a rimfire for the same reason - new laws redefining "assault weapons".  If the AR is a rimfire, it is NOT an assault weapon.  Even so, the cost is high and I lose my centerfire cartridge.  It is just not a great fit for my needs.

I'm rambling.  I'll shut up now.
View Quote
Fair enough. There is some accuracy data posted from the conversion kit here if it's helpful to you.
Thread
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Nope...
I ditched my 1522 for a dedicated AR 22
1522 is just to much plastic, limited accessories and S&W CS sucks
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I got the exact same accuracy out of my 15-22 and my RRA AR with a conversion in it shooting both CCI Blazer. 4" at 100yd with a full 25rd mag.

The accuracy thing is a myth. The same people say that the bullet bounces around the barrel because of the 1/1000th difference in the barrel.

Accuracy is perfectly fine.
View Quote
I believe that the accuracy of a conversion kit is less than that of a dedicated barrel because the 5.56 barrel where an adapter is installed typically has a fast twist rate (e.g., 1:7 to 1:9, instead of the typical .22 LR rate of 1:16), there is a free bore area with a conversion, and the adapter to 5.56 chamber fit may cause gas leakage.  I am not familiar with the "bullet bounce" theory.  Sounds specious.

I do agree that for most purposes, the accuracy is from an adapter kit adequate which was why I kept my adapter kit and gave the dedicated .22 LR upper I had to my son who uses it for hunting where accuracy is more of a concern than my uses.  I normally use a bolt action .22 for hunting.

I am not familiar with a S & W M &P .22 so I cannot comment as to its attributes.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I believe that the accuracy of a conversion kit is less than that of a dedicated barrel because the 5.56 barrel where an adapter is installed typically has a fast twist rate (e.g., 1:7 to 1:9, instead of the typical .22 LR rate of 1:16), there is a free bore area with a conversion, and the adapter to 5.56 chamber fit may cause gas leakage.  I am not familiar with the "bullet bounce" theory.  Sounds specious.

I do agree that for most purposes, the accuracy is from an adapter kit adequate which was why I kept my adapter kit and gave the dedicated .22 LR upper I had to my son who uses it for hunting where accuracy is more of a concern than my uses.  I normally use a bolt action .22 for hunting.

I am not familiar with a S & W M &P .22 so I cannot comment as to its attributes.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote
How much less is the question,  do you have any 20 round groups from 50 yards to post?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got a registered SBR lower.  I'd rather buy/build a short 22lr upper for it than buy another full size rifle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!  I just ordered a CMMG conversion kit.  I have a match rifle I am going to try it in.  It has a 1:8" twist Krieger barrel.  Accuracy will be,...we shall see, we shall see.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
LOL!  I just ordered a CMMG conversion kit.  I have a match rifle I am going to try it in.  It has a 1:8" twist Krieger barrel.  Accuracy will be,...we shall see, we shall see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try some CCI Standard Velocity, Ely Match, Wolf Match Target or CCI Blazers, you might be pleasently surprised.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I have many from which to choose.  I am a little concerned about the fast twist in the barrel but we will see.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#34]
The upper mine lives in is a 1/9 and the accuracy is great. All I do is switch off the gas block and wage my jihad on squirrels from my deck
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:12:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I've 3 15-22s. Never have seen the need for a build.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The upper mine lives in is a 1/9 and the accuracy is great. All I do is switch off the gas block and wage my jihad on squirrels from my deck
View Quote
Ah, good idea.  Mine has an adjustable gas block, too.

I was wondering what those soft lead and gooey lube would do to the gas system.  Now, I don't have to worry.  I turn it off.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:16:21 AM EDT
[#37]
I must of got two bad barrels from cmmg.  I tried the 4"  and the 9" and neither of them were that accurate.  I'm talking pie plate at 25 yards.  I ended up building a 10/22 with a Tactical Solutions SB-X barrel and couldn't be happier.   It's a tack driver.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I wanted a 20" A4 and the only way to go was with a dedicated gun.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Are you guys using CMMG 4.5" barrels?  It seems everything from TACCOM is sold out and the Beyer barrels cost more.
View Quote
Not to be a wise guy but they are worth every penny. Even guys at my club (and it's a big club) that have expensive barrels on their Ruger 10/22s can't believe the accuracy of my Beyer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#40]
In true ARFCOM fashion, I own both M&P 15-12's as well as dedicated AR .22 uppers.

I certainly thing that there will always be a market for conversions and dedicated AR .22 uppers as they serve a purpose.

Conversion bolts are cheap enough and dedicated uppers give you the real AR experience as opposed to a mostly plastic gun.  Also, if you have a DIAS for M-16, you would certainly want a conversion over a M&P 15-22.

With that said, I find that that the wife and I tend to shoot the M&P 15-22's often while the AR conversion hardly gets used, except when going machine gun shooting.

If I didn't have a machine gun to use the conversion in and I was only going to get one thing, I'd opt for the M&P 15-22.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Bought a CMMG conversion and 2 mags a couple months ago. Used it in my SW Sport II for the first outing. Accuracy is not quite as precise as .223, but its good enough (3-4 moa) for plinking out at 100yd which is my range's max. I plan to try it in my 20" SS Wylde upper next time for comparison.

Definitely worth the investment.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#42]
There is a market for 22 conv kits training for training. Some like to train with the same trigger and weight.

As for competition, the 22 conv market has all but dried up. I shoot steel challenge. Those that use an AR platform, 9 out of 10 use MP 15-22.

Maybe for plinking it is a bit cheaper than getting a MP 15-22.

For me the accuracy was the problem with conv kits. The MP 15-22 blows conv kits away in accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:47:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not to be a wise guy but they are worth every penny. Even guys at my club (and it's a big club) that have expensive barrels on their Ruger 10/22s can't believe the accuracy of my Beyer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Out of curiosity what kind of accuracy are you seeing at 50 yards and 100 yards?

Is the rear of the barrel all steel or does it have some 7075 around it?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:15:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity what kind of accuracy are you seeing at 50 yards and 100 yards?

Is the rear of the barrel all steel or does it have some 7075 around it?
View Quote
It's been a while since I shot paper with it but if I do my job it will shoot under and inch at 100 yards.
As far as the barrel I'm not sure of the specific answer (as to the rear of the barrel) to your question but I do know that it is an aluminum barrel with a steel insert.  I would have to assume that the rear section that the barrel nut goes on is aluminum but I can't be sure.

ETA: It's an 18" barrel and I shoot CCI standard velocity ammo.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I received my conversion kit in today's mail.  I'll get to test it soon.

I also have an Anschutz.  Is that a fair comparison?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:  I received my conversion kit in today's mail.  I'll get to test it soon.

I also have an Anschutz.  Is that a fair comparison?
View Quote
No.  Pics of Anschutz.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#48]
I like my Ciener conversion because everything but the recoil is the same.
I put 300 rounds through it Saturday, accuracy is fine for my uses at 3-25yds(1/2" @15yds).

High round count drills would be too expensive even with handloads,  plus with 22lr I don't have to worry about brass.

2cents per round VS. 19 cents per round from the exact same rifle, I'll take it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#49]
NEVER TRIED THE M&P but have seen them run real good at the matches.

For me, With the same bulk pack ammo, OPEN SIGHTS IN BOTH,
My CMMG conversion 16" barrel, it was 10" @ 25 yards,
With my dedicated CMMG 16" barrel, I can get 12" @ 100 yards.
So, for me much better accuracy and the ability to work on any of my AR LOWERS.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top