Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2017 11:55:45 AM EDT
I haven't taken my 9mm AR SBR out to the range in a while. I head to the range weekly, but I have been too lazy to schlep anything longer than a handgun in a while. But I went ahead a slung a rilfe bag over my shoulder and played around yesterday.

Everytime I shoot this gun I just grin from ear to ear. I love this gun both Suppressed and Unsuppressed. It is super accurate, and very easy to shoot well. It is the only Iron Sight long gun I currently own. I will probably put a red dot on it at some point.

It was also a lot of fun deciding which parts to buy and building it up.

I have run over a dozen different kinds of ammo through it suppressed and unsuppressed and have never had a single hiccup. Except there is one bullet it does not feed, it is the 147gr American Eagle TMJ. The Flat Top design of the bullet is very extreme. Meaning the flat top is large diameter and does not feed well. The Speer Lawman 147gr also has a flat top, but the flat top is much smaller in diameter than the AE and feeds no problem. I have run 500 rounds of the Lawman with zero issues.

I have about 1500 rounds through this particular build. For some reason it really does not get dirty at all. I have not cleaned it in about 800 rounds, most of which were fired suppressed, and the gun is really not dirty inside at all. Surprises me. It is easily the cleanest running suppressed gun I have ever owned (both long guns and pistols). Go ahead and put 800 rounds through a 223 AR suppressed; it will take you a week to clean it! A Glock pistol won't be looking too good either after 800 rounds suppressed; especially if you have a frame that is any color but black, you can really see all the dirt.

This compact little package makes for an excellent home defense long gun suppressed. My hearing is important to me and there is no way I am using an unsuppressed rifle caliber for home defense. Even a suppressed rifle caliber for the home is a little much for a number of reasons. This little baby is perfect. Nice and short and quiet!

Here are a couple of groups I shot at 25 yards offhand.

Here are a couple of pics of the gun:

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet looking build.

Do give us some details?  Lower, upper and does it do the LRBHO?

Thanks,

Red
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet looking build.

Do give us some details?  Lower, upper and does it do the LRBHO?

Thanks,

Red
View Quote
I built this gun almost 2 years ago, and have built lots of other things since. My memory isn't what it used to be. But here is what I recall without having the gun here:
-New Frontier Upper and Lower from Runner Runner Guns. LRBHO
-7.5" barrel with 1/2x28 threads
-Midwest KeyMod Handguard
-Strike Industries RED Buffer Tube and Fore Grip
-KAK Flash Can
-POF 3.5lb flat trigger
-KNS Anti Rotation Trigger Pins - Parts anodized red.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't really gain much velocity with heavy 9mm after about 5"  I'd go shorter, then slap on a PDW rail stock or an LWRC with a LAW adapter.  A shorter can like Griff Rev 9k or Omega 9k would be nice but obviously that's another ordeal.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I built this gun almost 2 years ago, and have built lots of other things since. My memory isn't what it used to be. But here is what I recall without having the gun here:
-New Frontier Upper and Lower from Runner Runner Guns. LRBHO
-7.5" barrel with 1/2x28 threads
-Midwest KeyMod Handguard
-Strike Industries RED Buffer Tube and Fore Grip
-KAK Flash Can
-CMC 3.5lb flat trigger
-KNS Anti Rotation Trigger Pins - Parts anodized red.
View Quote
That looks like a POF trigger. How do you like it?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That looks like a POF trigger. How do you like it?
View Quote
It is :) Sorry, the CMC is in a different gun. It is very nice! Very clean break, no creep, short reset.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You don't really gain much velocity with heavy 9mm after about 5"  I'd go shorter, then slap on a PDW rail stock or an LWRC with a LAW adapter.  A shorter can like Griff Rev 9k or Omega 9k would be nice but obviously that's another ordeal.
View Quote
I have considered a shorter barrel, but If I go with a shorter barrel, then I have to replace the handguard to safely shoot unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
When I was doing my research, a 10 inch barrel was the sweet spot.   Based off of ballistics by the inch.   Not my personal data.  

So I have 3 uppers and 2 lowers.   10.5, 8.5 (got a great deal on an assembled upper) and a 3 inch that is suppressed 100% of the time.  

And full auto.  It's glorious.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

When I was doing my research, a 10 inch barrel was the sweet spot.   Based off of ballistics by the inch.   Not my personal data.  

So I have 3 uppers and 2 lowers.   10.5, 8.5 (got a great deal on an assembled upper) and a 3 inch that is suppressed 100% of the time.  

And full auto.  It's glorious.
View Quote
Actually now that I think about it, I was recalling the length that will keep 147gr HST reliably subsonic.  Disregard.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't know if I did good or not, but ordered a New Frontiers Arms Glock Lower today.  I have a Olympic Arms Upper in 9 mm that was originally designed for the OA Glock lower.  Called NFA and they said it should work if I remove the ejector they supply.  Of course the OA upper has it's own ejector.  If not I'm out about 176.00, but sure hope that it functions, not concerned about the LRBHO.  Anyone have any experience with the above combination, let me know please!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top