Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2017 4:45:59 AM EDT
As stated,
I have a new M-P AR-22 and I would like to purchase my first suppressor.
I was leaning towards the AAC element 2, or the new AAC Halcyon.
Is it faster to purchase a suppressor with a trust..or is that just money wasted..

I assume the suppressor I listed is a good choice from the videos I've seen for this rifle, and I could use some pointers on my first purchase about the trust issue...or is it all the same..right now I was quoted a 10 mo. Wait..that sucks..but I guess it is what it is..
Thanks..
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:30:13 AM EDT
[#1]
My experience Is a bit dated, but I submitted form 4's for 2 suppressors under my trust in March 2016.  They were approved in October.  While I was tracking them, I noticed that form 4’s submitted under individuals were getting approved about 3 weeks to a month earlier than form 4's submitted under trusts.  Not sure whether this is true now.  Trusts give you a little bit more flexibility, but the filing requirements under 41F is more like the individual requirements.  But many of the suppressor sellers now have finger print machines that makes it more convenient.  For me, I would continue to file using my trust and suck up that extra month.  I really would like the HPA to get passed!
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:48:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not familiar with either of the two suppressors you mention, but lighter is better on the end of the 16" barrel of a S&W 15-22.

It's worth the wait! A suppressed 15-22 is great fun to shoot!
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys....after watching the videos on YouTube with suppressed 22's.. I gotta get one..
I own quite a few rifles..but for some reason..I'm hooked on this M&P AR-22..it's light, fast, accurate enough , and so much fun..I can't imagine it with a can on it..I'm going to stock pile ammo while I wait for my paperwork..haha..
Now..getting the ok for the ATF is one thing,..the wife is another....
If there one thing I've learned about buying guns..it's much easier to ask for forgiveness the permission..haha
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Silencerco Spectre 2 or Dead Air Mask are kind of regarded as the kings of the. 22 suppressors.  Both meter and sound very good, and clean easily enough.  Both of those are also pretty stout and use good metals that can handle the high rate of fire from a 15-22. I would avoid aluminum supressors in your case. Some of the newer. 22 cans arw getting good reviews like the El Camino and the Occulus. I've shot neither of those. A Griffin Checkmate QD might be of interest 9f you plan to SBR it and run it under the handguard.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been very happy with Tac Sol Axiom on both my 20 in rifle, mp22C, and p22.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
When I first got interested in suppressors, a dealer recommended that I buy a stainless steel rimfire suppressor because it would handle the higher velocity rimfire rounds.  Since my only rimfires were .22 LR, I decided to go with an aluminum mono core suppressor, specifically, the Innovative Arms Apex.

Now, I like my Apex a lot.  You hardly notice the weight and it sounds as good as a friend's "big name" rimfire can.  One of my "hosts" is a S&W 15-22 and it makes that rifle a lot of fun to shoot.

That said, there are some really good rimfire cans on the market now with stainless construction and a K-baffle design, which reduces the "first round pop".  The Dead Air Mask, the Ruger Silent-SR and the Rugged Suppressors Oculus are just a few examples, and they are not terribly heavy.  I would consider these as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
My D.A. Mask is on a trust, done a couple years ago.  How quick either type of application was being processed never entered my mind.  Suggest you research deeper or speak with an attorney as to why you may or may not benefit from putting together a trust and putting your can on it.

These things just take as long as they take these days.  It's basically a lifetime purchase.  Do it right.  Buy once, cry once.  Good luck.  It will be worth the wait if you think it through properly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys....after watching the videos on YouTube with suppressed 22's.. I gotta get one..
I own quite a few rifles..but for some reason..I'm hooked on this M&P AR-22..it's light, fast, accurate enough , and so much fun..I can't imagine it with a can on it..I'm going to stock pile ammo while I wait for my paperwork..haha..
Now..getting the ok for the ATF is one thing,..the wife is another....
If there one thing I've learned about buying guns..it's much easier to ask for forgiveness the permission..haha
View Quote
Keep in mind that with a rifle length barrel you will want to buy subsonic ammo. CCI standard is subsonic. The difference is night and day out of a rifle. You can't go wrong with an element but the new halcyon has shielded baffles and wouldn't need to be cleaned as often. I have a sparrow and a mask and they are both great too. Look in the armory section of ar15.com and specifically under the silencer section for lots of great info. Here is what a really dirty sparrow looks like.
Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top