Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2017 10:25:38 PM EDT
Is it possible to use Sterling magazines in the Sten magazine type 9mm Ar15 lowers? 

OR

Does anyone offer such a conversion? 

I have a bunch of Sterling magazines on hand, and they are by far my favorite 9mm type magazines (Mp5 coming in second). If I'm going to build a 9mm AR, I'd prefer to use well proven magazines. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would need an Olympic upper...designed to feed from a center feed mag.....and Hahn made a sten mag adapter not sure if they still do.....
Been so long since I've even looked at a sterling mag.....I can't say for certain.

Glad you asked...I have a dedicated sten lower from YEARS ago made from a Yellow Logic 80%....might have to develop an upper for it...just cause I have a bunch of unused sten mags....
View Quote
I don't think Sterling magazines are center feed, though. Sten are, but the Sterling is a true double stack
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Sterling are not center feed.  One of the best magazines ever made IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is it possible to use Sterling magazines in the Sten magazine type 9mm Ar15 lowers? 

OR

Does anyone offer such a conversion? 

I have a bunch of Sterling magazines on hand, and they are by far my favorite 9mm type magazines (Mp5 coming in second). If I'm going to build a 9mm AR, I'd prefer to use well proven magazines. 
View Quote

I share Rivaltm's thoughts. I would like to have an AR that accepted and ran on Sterling mags
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Sterling's innovative (and expensive) magazines are two-colum feed devices.  The follower uses rollers instead of a simple platform, which enhances feeding quite well.

You can get a STEN magazine adapter from Hahn for $85 but it only works with Olympic uppers.  Otherwise I'd have one.

I do have a WiseLite Sterling carbine, and it runs fine with STEN magazines.  It runs smoother with Sterling mags, though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you read this?  

http://www.building365atbaf.com/?p=411

He used a dedicated lower but I'm sure something similar could be done with a two-piece mag block.  Not necessarily plug & play but still an option if you really want to use Sterling mags.

I agree the Sterling is hands down the best 9mm mag out there!
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have you read this?  

http://www.building365atbaf.com/?p=411

He used a dedicated lower but I'm sure something similar could be done with a two-piece mag block.  Not necessarily plug & play but still an option if you really want to use Sterling mags.

I agree the Sterling is hands down the best 9mm mag out there!
View Quote
I saw that, and it got me thinking about it again. I'd rather not modify the magazines though. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:35:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I would agree.  I modified one mag and decided it just wasn't worth the trouble.  Not terribly difficult just very time consuming.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think I just might give the Stirling magazine conversion a try.

My main concern is side-to-side wobble due to the width at the front of a Colt style 9mm mag well. I might have to look at some sort of shim.
View Quote
If it's any help, my modified mag fits into a Colt-style magblock or QC10 lower without much wobble.  But I went a slightly different route and only removed metal from the mag; I didn't touch the magblock/magwell.  I think grinding the extra meat from the sides made more of a flat surface that sits flush with the inside of the well which helps support it.  The trick was going slow with the belt sander and removing a little at a time until the mag fit, trying hard not to make the mag body wall too thin.

My plan was to use these mags with a QC10 lower but if you use it with a magblock then it would be pretty simple to make some shims to go in the front for extra support.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top