Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/14/2017 11:48:38 AM EDT
What's the best option for building a dedicated 22lr upper these days?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What's the best option for building a dedicated 22lr upper these days?
View Quote
Taccom3G or CMMG. 
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Taccom3G or CMMG.
View Quote
Fixed. OP wanted the best option.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a Nordic
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Was looking at taccom and they sell so much stuff idk even know what most of those 22lr components are, lol
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
andro corp

http://androcorpind.com/ar-15-uppers/22lr/
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was looking at taccom and they sell so much stuff idk even know what most of those 22lr components are, lol
View Quote
You can "ignore" most stuff from Taccom when looking to build an upper. Aside from the standard AR upper you need barrel and bolt (and charging handle).

Taccom Bolt + Taccom barrel and bolt collar = Awesomness
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can "ignore" most stuff from Taccom when looking to build an upper. Aside from the standard AR upper you need barrel and bolt (and charging handle).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That stuff looks good but it's all out of stock.

It looks like cmmg bolts are compatible with taccom barrels. I'm thinking maybe buy a bolt/conversion now and a barrel down the line when available...  Do you know if the black dog target masters bolt is compatible with the taccom barrels? There's a sale right now for the target masters 22 conversion and two black dog mags for 130.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It looks like cmmg bolts are compatible with taccom barrels. I'm thinking maybe buy a bolt/conversion now and a barrel down the line when available...  Do you know if the black dog target masters bolt is compatible with the taccom barrels? There's a sale right now for the target masters 22 conversion and two black dog mags for 130.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't used their conversions but it looks like the standard 22lr conversion. Which if true all you need is the right sized collar which Taccom supplies with their barrels, and you're GTG.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buy a Nordic
View Quote
This. DPMS sells an upper that was designed by, or manufactured by, Nordic. I purchased one about a year or two ago through Midway and it was a great option. Ran any ammo I put through it and was very accurate. Also has a standard barrel nut design, so swapping to a free float handguard is no problem. I believe DPMS calls it an AP4 .22LR upper. I remember paying less than $400 using some coupon code or sale price and I had it in a few days. Slap it on any lower and run Black Dog mags and you'll be gtg.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#10]
There's always Compass Lake.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Would the cmmg bravo be favorable over the black dog conversion?  Seems like the black dog mags are preferred, but the cmmg is stainless which might have some benefit?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This. DPMS sells an upper that was designed by, or manufactured by, Nordic. I purchased one about a year or two ago through Midway and it was a great option. Ran any ammo I put through it and was very accurate. Also has a standard barrel nut design, so swapping to a free float handguard is no problem. I believe DPMS calls it an AP4 .22LR upper. I remember paying less than $400 using some coupon code or sale price and I had it in a few days. Slap it on any lower and run Black Dog mags and you'll be gtg.
View Quote
I have had a DPMS .22lr upper for over 4 years and it has been flawless. They are in fact made by nordic. When I purchased mine I wanted a nordic and couldn't find one in stock anywhere. Called Nordic and they told me to buy the DPMS because it is made by them to DPMS'S configuration (fsb), and that they would be out of stock of their nordic ones for a long while since they were fulfilling a huge DPMS contract on their .22lr uppers. I have thousands of rounds through this little upper and it has never hiccuped.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have had a DPMS .22lr upper for over 4 years and it has been flawless. They are in fact made by nordic. When I purchased mine I wanted a nordic and couldn't find one in stock anywhere. Called Nordic and they told me to buy the DPMS because it is made by them to DPMS'S configuration (fsb), and that they would be out of stock of their nordic ones for a long while since they were fulfilling a huge DPMS contract on their .22lr uppers. I have thousands of rounds through this little upper and it has never hiccuped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those dpms are OOS everywhere.

Seems like I could buy a cmmg or taccom bolt and barrel and put it in an ALG rail and stripped upper for about the same price and have a 22lr clone of a 5.56 upper I have.

But getting the conversion and waiting on in-stock barrels (taccom ulw?) Seems like a decent Idea.  Worst case it isn't super accurate, but at least I'd be putting rounds thru a nice AR for 5cpr lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Is there much of a difference in quality between the cmmg and black dog mags?

I can get a target master conversion kit with 2 black dog 25rd mags for 135

Or

I can get a cmmg bravo conversion kit with 3 cmmg 25rd mags for 175

Which should I get?  The design of the conversions seem similar but the cmmg bravo is stainless and the target master sold by black dog appears to be some kind of cromoly.

Which to get?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Should you have happen to have a spare barrel and upper lying around, have you thought about dedicating a 556 upper to 22lr with a conversion kit? My CMMG kit with 1/9 & 1/7 barrels actually impressed me for 22lr and what I plan on using it for it's plenty accurate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I only have experience with black dog mags. They are extremely durable and reliable. I use the metal feed lip ones.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Should you have happen to have a spare barrel and upper lying around, have you thought about dedicating a 556 upper to 22lr with a conversion kit? My CMMG kit with 1/9 & 1/7 barrels actually impressed me for 22lr and what I plan on using it for it's plenty accurate.
View Quote
Define "spare" haha.  

I guess part of the appeal is shooting 22lr thru uppers with higher end optics and accessories

Would it be ill-advised to use the conversion a bunch in a HD rifle? Because of filth?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Define "spare" haha.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Define "spare" haha.  
That's difficult to do.

Quoted:  

Would it be ill-advised to use the conversion a bunch in a HD rifle? Because of filth?
Yeah probably at least I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable with it. I guess you could just come up with a preventive maintenance schedule for it and change some parts out every xxxx rounds. I've a 556 "beater" gun that I use.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's difficult to do.

Yeah probably at least I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable with it. I guess you could just come up with a preventive maintenance schedule for it and change some parts out every xxxx rounds. I've a 556 "beater" gun that I use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define "spare" haha.  
That's difficult to do.

Quoted:  

I mean, i have a few beaters but the idea of chootin 22lr from some of my main guns soinds fun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its not a terrible idea.  I coiud get a cmmg 22lr barrel for 125 and a collar for 35..  throw it in a ALG rail, touch it off with geissele trigger....  i have everything for a new build but a barrel and caliber specific bolt.

Its tough to decide lol. I could also build out a grendel with those parts and shoot the 22conversion thru my other ars.

Tough stuff!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Call Tim at Taccom. He will lead you right.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:41:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Its not a terrible idea.  I coiud get a cmmg 22lr barrel for 125 and a collar for 35..  throw it in a ALG rail, touch it off with geissele trigger....  i have everything for a new build but a barrel and caliber specific bolt.

Its tough to decide lol. I could also build out a grendel with those parts and shoot the 22conversion thru my other ars.

Tough stuff!
View Quote
Not long ago I did bunch of testing on it in preparation to sandbag the ammo fort now that 22lr prices have come back down to earth. If it's helpful I have a bunch of 50 yard 20 round groups from most commonly avail 22lr ammo mostly bulk and some target loads shot with a chrome linned RRA 1/9 556 barrel. I'll post if you like. Most bulk and also mini mags, & Super X shot about 6-8moa (3"-4") at 50 yards, targets loads like SK Standard and Norma Tac 22 were at 2-3moa at 50. I did compare the 1/9 RRA to a BCM CHF 1/7 but only with one type of ammo, and didn't see much difference. Not bad really for a kit that dropped into a 556 rifle  for my needs and intended use I was pleased with the results, and I was surprised by how much fun I had shooting 22lr really was a blast.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Sure id love to see it!

I just ordered about 10 diff kinds of mid grade 22lr ammo
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sure id love to see it!

View Quote
Of course but I decided to just make a thread of it. Seems I'm not the only one thinking of sandbaging a ton of 22lr

Thread
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 2 Spikes 16" and 2 CMMG, one 4.5" and one 6.5".  All 4 run like the wind, no issues.  Spikes I've had for about 10 years and the CMMG's I picked up once I ventured into the realm of SBR's.  I have no experience with TAACOM other than looking at the website and purchasing his bolt buffer - you'll want that, it helps to hold the bolt forward.  For the most part, I use BD magazines, but have a few CMMG' magazines, too.  Stick with BDM's.   
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Of course but I decided to just make a thread of it. Seems I'm not the only one thinking of sandbaging a ton of 22lr

Thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure id love to see it!

Thread
Nice, good thread!

So...  i got the conversion and black dog mags and ordered about 2750 rounds of various ammo that looked like it would be decent in conversions.. fed automatch plus a few kinds of mid grade copper plated high velocity stuff.

CCI lead free
Win 1300fps 40gr copper plated
Win 37gr high velociy copper plated
CCI AR Tactical 22lr
Fed Champion 36gr CP
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
andro corp

http://androcorpind.com/ar-15-uppers/22lr/
View Quote
This is what I did. I don't regret it at all.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top