Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2017 11:38:47 PM EDT
What's the scoop?  

Do the CMMG uppers use a barrel with bore dimensions (.222/.217")  and twist rates optimized for 22LR rimfire ammo or are the barrels originally intended for the 223 Rem cartridges (.224/.219") and CMMG just chambers them for 22LR rimfire?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#1]
CMMG uses the correct diameter and twist for .22 LR so far as I know.
At least they did when I was working with them.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone know for sure?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
They are using a 1 in 16 twist  and Standard 22 dimension. So does Tactical Solutions , ATI and almost every other dedicated 22 upper.
https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/barrel-and-bolt-group-kit-16-1-m4-22lr/
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#4]
"22LR Sprorting Chamber"
Whats a Sprorting Chamber? never heard of it
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Sporting chamber is a little looser that a match chamber set up. Easier to feed.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sporting chamber is a little looser that a match chamber set up. Easier to feed.

Dave N
View Quote
I know that, look at how it's spelled though
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]

CMMG isn't what they used to be.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:49:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dave N
View Quote
Its commonly used in rifles like a Ruger 10/22. Its a bit loose but allows it to fire a wide range of ammo even when dirty and neglected. It has it place, but its not for precision target shooters. Accurate tight chambers shoot better but can have more feeding and extraction issues. The designer figures out what his priority is for the rifle...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:52:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
What was that old car rental add on TV  "You try harder when you are number two".  When CMMG was up and coming they worked harder to earn their spot at the table. Times changes and I wonder if the big money rolling in didn't change  things as it often can. I don't know as i don't work with them anymore.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Not what they once were.
But that's just my opinion.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why do you say that?  I am picking between the cmmg bravo conversion kit and the target master conversion kit sold by black dog.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#12]
CMMG developed several successful products for shooting 22 rimfire ammo in AR-15's then 22 long rifle ammunition almost disappeared for a few years.  Do to the lack of  22 long rifle ammunition 22 LR AR-15 market took a big hit.  CMMG isn't offering as many products now as they did in the past and their focus has shifted to other products that are selling.

The S&W 15-22 also hurt the sale of 22 rimfire conversions and dedicated uppers.  There has been more interest in 22 rimfire in the last 3 or 4 months than in about the last three to four years.  Many shooters adopted pistol caliber AR-15's in 9 MM instead of 22 LR.  The reason for the resurgance of 22 conversions interest is because 22 LR ammunition has started to reappear.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why do you say that?  I am picking between the cmmg bravo conversion kit and the target master conversion kit sold by black dog.
View Quote
If it were me, I would find one of the older all stainless CMMG conversions.
They ran great!

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
CMMG developed several successful products for shooting 22 rimfire ammo in AR-15's then 22 long rifle ammunition almost disappeared for a few years.  Do to the lack of  22 long rifle ammunition 22 LR AR-15 market took a big hit.  CMMG isn't offering as many products now as they did in the past and their focus has shifted to other products that are selling.

The S&W 15-22 also hurt the sale of 22 rimfire conversions and dedicated uppers.  There has been more interest in 22 rimfire in the last 3 or 4 months than in about the last three to four years.  Many shooters adopted pistol caliber AR-15's in 9 MM instead of 22 LR.  The reason for the resurgance of 22 conversions interest is because 22 LR ammunition has started to reappear.
View Quote
Figures... I build a 9MM upper and 22LR is on the shelves in every gun shop I walk into.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting historical perspective.

I'm currently interested in rimfire conversion because I can avoid most of the new assault weapon restrictions if my rifle(s) are rimfire instead of centerfire.  There may be some new sales for similar reasons.

For that very reason, I am looking at 458 SOCOM conversions, too.  If I'm stuck with just ten rounds, they should at least be ten BIG rounds.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top