Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/7/2017 10:32:39 AM EDT
Hello,

I have a Spikes Tactical 22 dedicated rifle that I've had for a number of years. It's always done this, but it does seem to be getting worse.

The problem is that ejected rounds getting stuck between bolt and charging handle. I have the CMMG charging handle that has helped, also I have changed the springs that also helped a little, also changed my mags, which again helped a little too. But it's still doing it, and it seems to be getting worse.

Does anyone have a fix for this problem?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I am interested as well. Same issue. Same charging handle. It's now sidelined. Not much fun clearing jams every few shots.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I went through the same problem, and remedies you suggested.... I have considerably more reliability after installing a TACCOM extractor and using S&W 15-22 mags, with a Boonie Packer better mag adapter... take the time to lower the follower just enough to  insert a single cartridge, and the bullet noses will alternate....
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,

I am using S&W M&P15 mags, but with a catch 22. It certainly helped.

I'll have a look for a TACCOM extractor and see if it make a difference :)
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Try polishing the slide that the bolt rides on. I did this years ago on 3 kits with a buffer and haven't had an issue since.

ETA. Now that I think about it, I also used a dremal with a small tip and polished the whole unit. Probably back around 2010-11 timeframe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:32:41 AM EDT
[#5]
it is ejector problem hitting too low on case causing it exit too high and bounce back in. not sure what model you have on S&W you just bend up till slightly rubs on carrier.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hello,

I have a Spikes Tactical 22 dedicated rifle that I've had for a number of years. It's always done this, but it does seem to be getting worse.

The problem is that ejected rounds getting stuck between bolt and charging handle. I have the CMMG charging handle that has helped, also I have changed the springs that also helped a little, also changed my mags, which again helped a little too. But it's still doing it, and it seems to be getting worse.

Does anyone have a fix for this problem?
View Quote

I have the original ST22, and yes, it was every few rounds or so, same jam up issue.  I got tired of it and put it away when Taccom came out with their dedicated upper.  However, the engineer in me just couldn't leave the ST22 alone so I started tinkering with it to see if I can make it work.  I think I know what solved it for me but let me start from the beginning, perhaps this will help you guys too:
- JP trigger w/ red spring, Blackdog mag 1st gen, std charging handle.  Ammo was mixed bag of Fed and Win bulk packs.
- Changed out extractor to an updated one with a relief cut (from Spike).  This solved 50% of the extraction problem described.
- Changed out to Blackdog X Form, then X Form new follower with a steeper starting angle - I noted that this solved all feeding into chamber problems. I noticed the later batches of Fed bulk packs were just plain crappy, sometimes it sounded like a standard velocity round got mixed up in the box.  Same with Win bulk pack.
- Switched over exclusively CCI Mini Mag to get consistent powder charge.  Also found CCI Blazer has same consistency so I bought all I could find in Mini Mag and Blazer.  I noticed the failed to extract properly seemed to lessen with Mini Mag, perhaps the consistent powder charge has something to do with it.
- Still some inconsistencies in rounds not light up so in 2012, I dropped in a Timney 308 trigger unit (similar light/quick trigger pull but hammer drops with authority).  This is when ALL failed to extract cleanly went away! I can only guess that a combination of heavy hitting hammer + consistent powder charge (as in good grade ammo) worked.  (Note - I tried using the standard mil-spec trigger unit but its heavy hammer spring slowed down the bolt enough to cause problems.)

The ST22 with LW barrel is an accurate shooter, once the bugs got worked out

ETA - I also tried a Taccom bolt with Spike's original collar, this also solved most of the extraction issue.  Again, all problems seemed to disappeared after the changed to CCI + Timney 308 trigger unit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're getting empties stuck between the CH and bolt and you're confident the extractor is okay then it's usually due to an ejector problem.

1 - The ejector tab is bad as in machined incorrectly or worn, dinged, chipped etc. You can have built it up by welding and then grind and file it to shape it properly.

2 - Your mag is sitting too high in the magwell and the feed lips are hitting the case before the ejector and kicking them up into the CH. Make sure the mags are snug in the magwell and do not hold the mag while shooting. You can sacrifice a mag and modify the slot for the catch to see if it helps.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top