Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2017 9:09:07 PM EDT
Im looking for a 45 acp upper conversion for my pdw sbr. Im looking for something around 5-7in, preferably with a handguard/rail with inner diameter of at least 1.60in, and uses a standard ar lower (no permanent modifications, but bolt in mag block is ok). Preferably uses glock 21 mags, as I'd like to use kriss vector 30 rnd mags. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you explain to me the difference between the blowback uppers and DI uppers? I mean I know the physics and how they work, but whats the pros/cons to each?
Whats the capacity on the standard lower at stick mag?
Capacity on the mag adapter stick mags?
What mags are the adapter stick mags?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Rudy may check in later.  In the meantime, I can offer my experience with his 8" DI45.

I don't have a blowback 45, but can compare the DI45 to a 9mm blowback.  The DI45 has much less felt recoil due to less reciprocating weight and perhaps the bolt staying in battery a little longer.  This results in faster follow up shots.  Both are always shot suppressed, but the DI45 action has minimal gas blowback and stays much cleaner than the 9mm blowback.  

Rudy's 10 and 20 round mags are his design and, AFAIK, are proprietary.  

Here is my DI45 that uses his mag block:
Attachment Attached File

My 9mm using his mag block and barrel:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]
How exactly does the mag block install in the lower? Is it held in via the mag release? Is there a last round bolt hold open? Does he offer a 30 round stick?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a question, will the 45 mags that macon uses work in an upper made by Olympic Arms?  Or can they be made to work?  I know that it requires a mag block!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Would your block work if one was to remove the Olympic Arms ejector and use the one that is on your mag block?  Or perhaps remove the ejector out of your block and use the Olympic ejector?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]
So just to clarify, if I want to run your upper on my pdw/sbr lower, blowback is my only choice correct? What length barrels do they come in? Im looking for 5 to 8in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#13]
My .45 ACP upper from Rudy has been 100% with a standard lower and mag block.
Love shooting it!

Dave N
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love shooting it!

Dave N
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Standard lower. Was hoping there was a mag block adapter that utilizes glock double stack mags but I understand now why that wont work.
What does a 5in blowback with magwell adapter and 1 20rnd mag run and what does a 8in DI with magwell adapter and 1 20rnd mag run?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#16]
The prices are listed on his website. He included a link to Macon Armory just above his video.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted: 
Love shooting it! 

Dave 
View Quote
Does the mag block require adjustment when installed, or do you just install it and start shooting? In other words, is it easy to switch between .223 and 45 ACP DI?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I should mention im running a mvb arc pdw stock that utilizes a proprietary buffer system. That being said, should I stick with the DI or blowback? In the interest of full disclosure, different weight buffers for arc stock are available.
Edit, looks like the DI doesn't require a specific buffer, so looks like I will be going DI.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't know this until just now but Bazooka Bros. makes a lower that accepts both AR mags and Grease Gun mags like the CavArms lowers did. They call it their Hybrid Lower. Like the CavArms lower a magazine block is required to run the GreaseGun magazines but from their web site I can't tell what block is required.  Hahn maybe?

BB Products Page
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I didn't know this until just now but Bazooka Bros. makes a lower that accepts both AR mags and Grease Gun mags like the CavArms lowers did. They call it their Hybrid Lower. Like the CavArms lower a magazine block is required to run the GreaseGun magazines but from their web site I can't tell what block is required.  Hahn maybe?

BB Products Page
View Quote
The block for a grease gun mag is a spacer and not a mag block/adapter. Ron Williams with RMW XTREME designed it and it is a bit different then the cav arms lower. I hope to pick up one shorty and will post pics asap. This lower is great for someone that wants to do an sbr as it covers pistol calibers and rifle calibers.
Here are the pics, it is a great looking lower. Now got to get it built and start the sbr paperwork.

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#24]
That's a nice setup for use with both mags. I see that you still have to modify the GG mag to work in this lower also.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's a nice setup for use with both mags. I see that you still have to modify the GG mag to work in this lower also.
View Quote
Yes a mag release slot needs to be cut, not a huge iaaue in my opinion to keep everything working as standard AR.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes a mag release slot needs to be cut, not a huge iaaue in my opinion to keep everything working as standard AR.
View Quote
Do they offer a mag conversion service?  Can you send them your pile of GG mags and have notches cut?

(I'm not in the market for an AR45 (happy with mine), just seemed like a good question to ask for those that might be.)
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mag block has a retention screw that is removed for installation....it is inserted from the bottom like a mag and then the retention bolt is reinstalled. Then two set screws are snugged up in the front to lock it in place. Mags are 10 and 20 round.....we are limited by the width of the magwell, so longer than 20 are almost unmanageable. The DI uppers also run well on the CNC AR45 grease gun magazine lower.

The Blowback lower is compatible with our magazine of course......and large frame Glock lowers as well.

DI upper is only recommended for use with the new Green Swamp Tactical Glock lower......
View Quote
l

So I was going to buy the Green Swamp Tactical 100% Glock lower but you say then I will need to buy the DI upper to make it run? Will the BB not work?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
AR45 (CNC ) doesn't change the operation of the AR...mag release in in the same spot...just uses an existing feature of the magazine to retain/release
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR45 (CNC ) doesn't change the operation of the AR...mag release in in the same spot...just uses an existing feature of the magazine to retain/release
Yep.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't want to assume.....but I assume the notch machined for the GG mag use in an AR lower doesn't negatively impact their use in an M10/45 or M3 Greasegun, right.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Don't want to assume.....but I assume the notch machined for the GG mag use in an AR lower doesn't negatively impact their use in an M10/45 or M3 Greasegun, right.
View Quote
Yep
All of mine still work 100% in my mpa mac 10 45 and 50GI mac 10.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
Thanks for confirming.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes,  I'll cut your mags  for a $20 set up fee for up to 20 mags and return shipping.
Yes the cut mags will still work in Mac 10's and Grease Guns.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Is your lower a standard AR or a Glock dedicated? Both DI and blowback will run on both types......but I advise against the QC10 Large frame as it requires messing with the magazines.
Standard lower.....either is fine......in original post you indicated wanting to use Gllock mags with SBR.....if it is a standard lower...that is a no go as the large frame mags are wider than the magwell.

Blowback comes in 5, 8.3, and 16 inch...DI 8, 11, and 16.
View Quote
QC10 Large frame lower
RW DI 11 inch Upper
Remove a little plastic from the mag follower so bolt clears is all.
Flawless running mags in both DI45 and Glock 22
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top