Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/23/2017 10:26:07 PM EDT
New to the 9mm AR platform but not the AR-15. Wanted to find out can you use the same AR-15 upper receiver for a 9mm build.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
no....no....no.

very different chambering and barrels.  need an AR 9mm upper
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I used a standard Aero Precision AR15 upper for my 9mm build... no gas needed, so used an inexpensive YHM fore end that threaded on the barrel nut...16" 9mm barrel, and a NFA 9mm modular bolt and standard charging handle to complete my  upper... I used a billet Glock mag complete lower from NFA to complete the build... the barrel will most likely be threaded for 1/2x36 and not 1/2x28 so depending on what type of muzzle device you choose, make sure of the thread pitch...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no....no....no.

very different chambering and barrels.  need an AR 9mm upper
View Quote
What? I think you might have misread his question. He asked about just the upper receiver - not there entire URG (Upper Receiver Group)

There is no 9mm-specific upper receivers - 9mm ARs use there same upper receivers as any other AR15-capable caliber. Yes, you need a 9mm barrel and bolt, but the upper receiver itself is the same as a 5.56/223, 6.8 SPC, 300 AAC Blackout, etc.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
You can indeed use the same upper receiver, though not the same barrel or bolt/bolt-carrier combination.

A dedicated 9mm upper lacks the gas tube cutout, since 9mm uses blowback not a gas system, but a regular upper receiver could still be used if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
the stripped upper receiver is the same. 9mm or 223.
you can by any standard stripped upper for building the 9mm upper.
I got one from ar brick or something like that. But I see a bunch under 40 bucks now, even cheaper than before.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, you use an AR15 Upper Receiver to build a 9mm AR. Good luck with your build - hope you post pics.

I used a YHM 9mm URG mated to a LoneWolf G9 LRG to build mine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can indeed use the same upper receiver, though not the same barrel or bolt/bolt-carrier combination.

A dedicated 9mm upper lacks the gas tube cutout, since 9mm uses blowback not a gas system, but a regular upper receiver could still be used if you wanted to.
View Quote
some dedicated 9mm uppers lack the cam pin cutout too.

you can build a 9mm on any stripped ar15 receiver but a 9mm upper receiver might not work for other calibers that used a cam pin and gas tube unless those cutouts are present.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
some dedicated 9mm uppers lack the cam pin cutout too.
View Quote
Well, yes. Sometimes the cam pin cutout, as well. - Generic AR-15 upper is fine for 9mm.

Dedicated 9mm upper forging, not necessarily so good for non-9mm uses.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm running a Spinta Slick Side Billet 9mm upper.

Any AR-15 upper works though.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top