Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2017 11:25:17 AM EDT
Hi- Picked up my first, complete AR9 yesterday and just field stripped it to clean and lube in anticipation of getting to shoot it this weekend. I have never handled a 9mm BCG before so it was new to me...
Question/Observation: It appears there is just a tiny bit of the rear of the firing pin protruding back for the hammer to contact (almost flush to the carrier) but this is normal, right?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know a 9mm AR firing pin is identical to and works just like an AR15 pin.
So yea, the rear of the pin should protrude just a bit but has some front-back 'play' since it has no spring.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as I know a 9mm AR firing pin is identical to and works just like an AR15 pin.
So yea, the rear of the pin should protrude just a bit but has some front-back 'play' since it has no spring.
View Quote
std AR and 9mm firing pins are not the same.

Not sure on the PSA stuff, but colt style bolts have a firing pin spring.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
<strong>Quoted:</strong>

Exactly this.  Also PSA has their metalform mags on sale, $12.99 each, buy ten, and free shipping!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The PSA 9mm Bolt has a spring, you should be able to remove the firing pin retainer and the firing pin and spring will fall out the rear, to replace reinsert the firing pin and spring, press the firing pi in slightly and reinsert the retainer. By the way, The PSA 9mm Bolt is made by New Frontier Armory, they sell replacement Bolt parts if you ever need any, My PSA Hybrid Bolt has seen close to a thousand rounds so far without any problems.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The PSA 9mm Bolt has a spring, you should be able to remove the firing pin retainer and the firing pin and spring will fall out the rear, to replace reinsert the firing pin and spring, press the firing pi in slightly and reinsert the retainer. By the way, The PSA 9mm Bolt is made by New Frontier Armory, they sell replacement Bolt parts if you ever need any, My PSA Hybrid Bolt has seen close to a thousand rounds so far without any problems.
View Quote
Thanks all. And for the info on parts snellkid. Yes, I pulled the pin and spring and put it back together- but eyeballing it, I just began to doubt that there was enough of the rear of the firing pin protruding. Just new to me and looked a little different- I guess I'll find out if it runs this weekend
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#6]
My bad for posting incorrect info.
Never noticed that, which means I've never cleaned this RRA bolt on the inside.
Now I've got something to do this weekend.

Was not aware that PSA hybrid BCGs are New Frontier, that explains why my PSA billet Glock lower looks identical to the NFA.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]
This bolt was part of a complete rifle I just got in Friday- PSA upper/forged lower with 16"bbl. My first PCC and wanted it in 9mm to match all my pistols (also have an ACC TiRant 9M in jail right now). Was experiencing some feeding failures with the buffer and spring it came with, switched out to a 7.5 oz buffer and a 9mm/.308 carbine-length spring and no failures for a couple of hundred more rounds
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#8]
A buddy of mine bought the New Frontier Modular 9mm BCG for his build and has had several firing pins break.
Anyone else seen that?

Dave N
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine bought the New Frontier Modular 9mm BCG for his build and has had several firing pins break.
Anyone else seen that?

Dave N
View Quote
I believe there are a few/several (maybe numerous) threads here and at other forums about that issue.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks. Long as I've been around I'm new to the AR9.
Love mine with a Taccom upper!

Dave N
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Where can I buy the replacement firing pins???
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:29:28 AM EDT
[#12]
9mm AR firing pins are notorious for breaking.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where can I buy the replacement firing pins???
View Quote
Could depend on your particular bolt brand, as I think some may use non Colt-spec. pins.
I know on my pre-hybrid PSA bolts the firing pins were, shall we say, "suspect" so I replaced them with Rock River pins from 9mmAR.com.
These are what I used:RR Firing pins
Perfect fit and protrusion.
I hope that is of assistance to you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Could depend on your particular bolt brand, as I think some may use non Colt-spec. pins.
I know on my pre-hybrid PSA bolts the firing pins were, shall we say, "suspect" so I replaced them with Rock River pins from 9mmAR.com.
These are what I used:RR Firing pins
Perfect fit and protrusion.
I hope that is of assistance to you.
View Quote
On that RR firing pin, I wonder if you would do me the favor of measuring the diameter of the pin at the very tip (protrusion end), just before it starts to round off, (anywhere within a millimeter of the tip)
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

On that RR firing pin, I wonder if you would do me the favor of measuring the diameter of the pin at the very tip (protrusion end), just before it starts to round off, (anywhere within a millimeter of the tip)
View Quote
Funny you should ask. I'd been meaning to check on that very thing!
The protrusion end diameter comes in right at .058" on my digital caliper.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top