Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/16/2017 4:53:23 PM EDT
Couldn't pass up this deal with PSA.
PSA lower

My understanding is you just need to use any hybrid bolt and any upper.  I want to piece together my own upper instead of buying a complete upper from PSA.  Im also planning on a specific bolt/trigger combo is the other reason.
Any experience with this?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just make sure your specific trigger is fully compatible with the PSA bolt.

Sometimes the ramped portion of 9MM bolts will not completely reset the trigger properly.
View Quote
I'm not going to use a PSA bolt.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Any upper receiver will work.  The trigger you select must be compatable with the bolt you choose.

Just curious as to why you choose a Glock pattern lower?  I built a Colt pattern AR-9.  Used a PSA dedicated lower receiver, an Aero Precision upper reseiver, a PSA 16" barrel,and a PSA G-9 Hybrid Bolt and a Timney 3# single stage trigger.  I had to tweak the extractor and the ejector to get it to run properly.  I have put around 1500 rounds through it with near zero malfunctions. It does not like truncated bullets.

I am the guy that makes the mag well vice blocks (Colt and Glock).  If my mag block sales are an indicator the Colt pattern AR-9s outnumber the Glock pattern by 2 to 1.  

The Glock pattern AR-9s seem to have more feeding problems than the Colts.  The Colt pattern lowers have a feed ramp on the lower, the Glock pattern AR-9 lowers do not have a feed ramp.

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#5]
skeeljc... I'm primarily a competition oriented AR9 carbine shooter, for the USPSA PCC division....most of the USPSA guys are using the Glock pattern lowers for ease of reloading, and the shooters probably already have the shorter pistol length  Glock  mags (which make reloads much easier) and associated mag pouches....the angled cut on my NFA lower is at the same angle as the mag well opening, and easily guides my reloads... my NFA feeds directly into the chamber and so far (2500) haven't a single issue.... regards
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I've not had any feed problems with my Glock lower build. I have not tried hollow points.
Taccom makes a user installable feed ramp for Glock builds now.

Dave N
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Any upper receiver will work.  The trigger you select must be compatable with the bolt you choose.

Just curious as to why you choose a Glock pattern lower?  I built a Colt pattern AR-9.  Used a PSA dedicated lower receiver, an Aero Precision upper reseiver, a PSA 16" barrel,and a PSA G-9 Hybrid Bolt and a Timney 3# single stage trigger.  I had to tweak the extractor and the ejector to get it to run properly.  I have put around 1500 rounds through it with near zero malfunctions. It does not like truncated bullets.

I am the guy that makes the mag well vice blocks (Colt and Glock).  If my mag block sales are an indicator the Colt pattern AR-9s outnumber the Glock pattern by 2 to 1.  

The Glock pattern AR-9s seem to have more feeding problems than the Colts.  The Colt pattern lowers have a feed ramp on the lower, the Glock pattern AR-9 lowers do not have a feed ramp.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/skeeljc/AR-9%20Side%20Charger/20170209_142251.jpg
View Quote
Been looking for you for some time.  Mind IMing me a link?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Currently my parts list is up to:

PSA Glock lower
Noreen Firearms billet upper
Davinci Arms 8.5" Legerro handguard
KVP 8.5" Barrel
KVP linear comp
KVP BCG
KVP 7.5oz buffer and spring
Kak Shockwave and tube
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
PSA lower

My understanding is you just need to use any hybrid bolt and any upper.  I want to piece together my own upper instead of buying a complete upper from PSA.  Im also planning on a specific bolt/trigger combo is the other reason.
View Quote

Yes. Easy Peasy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
skeeljc... I'm primarily a competition oriented AR9 carbine shooter, for the USPSA PCC division....most of the USPSA guys are using the Glock pattern lowers for ease of reloading, and the shooters probably already have the shorter pistol length  Glock  mags (which make reloads much easier) and associated mag pouches....the angled cut on my NFA lower is at the same angle as the mag well opening, and easily guides my reloads... my NFA feeds directly into the chamber and so far (2500) haven't a single issue.... regards
View Quote
What is easier to reload?  The rifle?  The mags?  I don't see how either has any particular advantage over the others. I can load and unload my Metalforms with a Lula.  They also have last round bolt hold open.  

I got in on the great deal on the Metalform ten pack.  I have sixteen mags that run like hot butter. 
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
. I was referring to exchanging a magazine in the carbine during a string of fire... the shorter G17/34 magazines are easier to handle than the longer Colt mags (I have one also)...the slant angle of my NFA lower allows me to orient the magazine YMMV
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What is easier to reload?  The rifle?  The mags?  I don't see how either has any particular advantage over the others. I can load and unload my Metalforms with a Lula.  They also have last round bolt hold open.   
View Quote
The Colt pattern 9mm SMG stick mags are easy to load with the Maglula loader.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The Colt pattern 9mm SMG stick mags are easy to load with the Maglula loader.
View Quote

Just about as easy:
UpLULA™ – 9mm to 45ACP
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good luck!
View Quote
lol, I had to remind myself this not GD
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
PSA lower

View Quote

I bought a PSA Colt Pattern lower.  I replaced the trigger with a Timney single stage drop in.

I bought an Aero Precision slick sided upper, a PSA G-9 Hybrid bolt, and a PSA 16" 9mm barrel.  I used a Double Star 12.5" free float handguard.  

I replaced the buffer and spring with a Blitzkreig Hydraulic buffer and a JP AR-10 spring.

The only change I would make is to replace the PSA barrel with a Faxon 16" barrel.

I recently converted it to a left side active charging handle.

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I just ordered a Faxon 16" barrel (Kaw Valley barrel through Joe Bob Outfitters) for $120.00.  I hope it comes with 1/2-36 threads so I can use my current flash hider.  I will let you know how it compares to the original PSA 16" barrel.  Faxon barrel should be 9 ounces lighter than the PSA barrel.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just ordered a Faxon 16" barrel (Kaw Valley barrel through Joe Bob Outfitters) for $120.00.  I hope it comes with 1/2-36 threads so I can use my current flash hider.  I will let you know how it compares to the original PSA 16" barrel.  Faxon barrel should be 9 ounces lighter than the PSA barrel.
View Quote
The description says it's a 1/2x36 but doesn't mention it being Faxon.
Is there a descriptor I'm missing?
I'd be interested in one, too, if it's true.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The description says it's a 1/2x36 but doesn't mention it being Faxon.
Is there a descriptor I'm missing?
I'd be interested in one, too, if it's true.
View Quote
Just compare the descriptions.  Kaw Valley does not manufacture.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:04:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just compare the descriptions.  Kaw Valley does not manufacture.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Last year I bought that model of lower for $157, shipped.  Turns out the lower was a gateway.

I had previously bought a Glock 19 (Gen 4) pistol.  I think I was the last member on ARFCOM to buy a Glock.  I wanted to have another gun to share magazines, so the AR9 lower project gun was chosen to perform that duty.

With the lower as the start, I added an NFA upper with LRBHO ($233), 16" barrel ($110), gas block with top rail, single feed bolt/carrier group ($115), LPK and stock ($109), 9 mm (two-piece steel) buffer ($30), four more Glock 19 15 round mags plus one 33 rounder and a mag loader ($105; all mags, for pistol as well as AR9, are factory), low cost ($50) dot sight, low cost ($26) back up fold-down sights, thread protector - not flash hider ($8), carry case, etc.  All totaled, including the $2 in quarters in the buffer tube to reduce bolt travel, I believe I have spent $1050 (all prices include shipping, not all parts and costs shown) on the project.

After a minor tweak to the LRBHO trip, everything works as expected.  It's just another AR9, so no bandwidth wasted on pics.

Was it worth $1050?  While it's a nice shooting, accurate carbine, had I known what the total cost would end up, I'm not sure that I'd do it again.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Last year I bought that model of lower for $157, shipped.  Turns out the lower was a gateway.

I had previously bought a Glock 19 (Gen 4) pistol.  I think I was the last member on ARFCOM to buy a Glock.  I wanted to have another gun to share magazines, so the AR9 lower project gun was chosen to perform that duty.

With the lower as the start, I added an NFA upper with LRBHO ($233), 16" barrel ($110), gas block with top rail, single feed bolt/carrier group ($115), LPK and stock ($109), 9 mm (two-piece steel) buffer ($30), four more Glock 19 15 round mags plus one 33 rounder and a mag loader ($105; all mags, for pistol as well as AR9, are factory), low cost ($50) dot sight, low cost ($26) back up fold-down sights, thread protector - not flash hider ($8), carry case, etc.  All totaled, including the $2 in quarters in the buffer tube to reduce bolt travel, I believe I have spent $1050 (all prices include shipping, not all parts and costs shown) on the project.

After a minor tweak to the LRBHO trip, everything works as expected.  It's just another AR9, so no bandwidth wasted on pics.

Was it worth $1050?  While it's a nice shooting, accurate carbine, had I known what the total cost would end up, I'm not sure that I'd do it again.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote
Everything you post mirrors me, except that I still don't have a Glock pistol.
They just don't feel good ergonomically, fit my hand 'right'.
I've got M&P pistols, and nobody is foolish enough to make a lower that will feed those mags.

I got into these just because I saw a pic of an AngstadtArms PDW and figured that anything that looked like that ought to be fun to shoot, and almost as cheaply as we used to buy 7n6 for considering the cost of .22 anymore.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  Everything you post mirrors me, except that I still don't have a Glock pistol.
They just don't feel good ergonomically, fit my hand 'right'.
I've got M&P pistols, and nobody is foolish enough to make a lower that will feed those mags.

I got into these just because I saw a pic of an AngstadtArms PDW and figured that anything that looked like that ought to be fun to shoot, and almost as cheaply as we used to buy 7n6 for considering the cost of .22 anymore.
View Quote
I was going to say that Wilson Combat does, but I see they chickened out & are only doing Glock & Beretta mags.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top