Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2017 10:31:53 AM EDT
I'd like to get a side charging upper but a couple of threads say to stay away because of reliability issues.

How long has your side charger been running?

What problems have you experienced?

Would you buy it again knowing what you know now?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a Gibbz a couple years ago that lasted for about 1k rounds before the divot where the side charger locked into wore away.. not sure if they have resolved the issue or not but they did send me a new upper which I promptly sold and purchased a fortis.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is my AR-9 side charger.  It is a left side active side charger handle.  It is totally reliable.

I have done three of these now.  I mill a 0.25" slot in the upper and make a new "gas block" for the bolt.  The operating handle is a 1/4" shoulder bolt.  The shoulder bolt needs to be installed with blue Loctite.  The guy at Accurate & Reliable Rfle makes the plug for the opening where the standard operating handle was.

Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
....... not sure if they have resolved the issue or not but they did send me a new upper which I promptly sold and purchased a fortis.
View Quote

So your vote would be no?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here is my AR-9 side charger.  It is a left side active side charger handle.  It is totally reliable.

I have done three of these now.  I mill a 0.25" slot in the upper and make a new "gas block" for the bolt.  The operating handle is a 1/4" shoulder bolt.  The shoulder bolt needs to be installed with blue Loctite.  The guy at Accurate & Reliable Rfle makes the plug for the opening where the standard operating handle was.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/skeeljc/AR-9%20Side%20Charger/20170209_142144.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/skeeljc/AR-9%20Side%20Charger/20170209_142310.jpg
View Quote

How many rounds do you have through it? What ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a fan of reciprocating charging handles, especially on the left.  I have one semi auto shotgun and one .22 rifle that have reciprocating charging handles, but they are on the right side.

A slot on the left side of the upper is just another opening to allow dirt to get into and I would assume it would also allow for gas to escape into a right handed shooters face (assuming blowback 9mm and probably more so suppressed) - if there is any OOB discharge, I suppose it could allow debris/shrapnel to fly right into a right handed shooters face also.

I think they are a niche/novelty item and I personally would not buy an AR of this type.  I might consider one with an HK style charging handle (similar to RRA PDS), but if I really wanted an AR style firearm with a side charging handle, I would buy one that was designed that way to begin with (HK or similar).

The primary reason I got into AR9s was to mimic my other ARs so the manual of arms was the same, so I could should them at a much lower ammo cost (I reload 9mm for $0.03/rd not accounting for my time), and so I could shoot them at any range that allowed pistol calibers and not rifle calibers.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
American Spirit Arms side charging upper user here. Mine has probably seen about 5,000 rounds and no problems. I really like them a lot.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a New Frontier side charger w/ LRBHO on a Glock build. I will be building another when it's back in stock.
I have the regular NFA side charger on a Colt build, and just ordered a 2nd like it for another Colt build.

Thousands of rounds in steel matches, run/gun matches, and USPSA matches. No issues with hot 115/124 grn.....no issues with 147/165 subs.
They work with both the spinta bolt, and the NFA bolts.

I will move all my AR's to this style of side charger.

Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't shot my Matrix yet, but I don't really shoot enough to break stuff anyway.

I did want to try one of the NoDak uppers at one point, but they were out and I bought something else. I still think it'd be neat. :)
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have put around 1000 rpunds through it with the left side charger modification.  I run mostly reloads that go 1050 fps on the low side to 1250 fps high side.  Both 115 and 124 grain bullets.  It runs factory ammo just fine.  Right now I am running the Blitzkrieg Hydraulic buffer with a JP AR-10 spring.  Pretty smooth with the 1050 fps loads.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't had any trouble from my crosshill tech with about 500 rounds on it. Not much but I haven't got to shoot much lately. AR Stoner has a version of it and Bear Creek Arsenal as well which I'm assuming are rebranded versions. Mine is a right side charge (reciprocating). I love it. I've never cared for the standard AR charging handle though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mine is a right side charge (reciprocating). I love it. I've never cared for the standard AR charging handle though.
View Quote

Is that a lefty version? I'm looking at non- reciprocating uppers, they seem to be the better way to go.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is that a lefty version? I'm looking at non- reciprocating uppers, they seem to be the better way to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine is a right side charge (reciprocating). I love it. I've never cared for the standard AR charging handle though.

Nothing wrong with a reciprocating charging handle.  Most of the unlimited USPSA pistols have one.  All automatic shotguns have one.  The reciprocating charging handle is more reliable and it gives you full control of the bolt.

The slot in the left side of the upper and the plugged rear operating handle opening both help keep blowback gas out of your face.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with a reciprocating charging handle.  Most of the unlimited USPSA pistols have one.  All automatic shotguns have one.  The reciprocating charging handle is more reliable and it gives you full control of the bolt.

The slot in the left side of the upper and the plugged rear operating handle opening both help keep blowback gas out of your face.
View Quote

Good to know, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Is anyone a left hand shooter? Wonder what ejection is like for lefties?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is anyone a left hand shooter? Wonder what ejection is like for lefties?
View Quote
I shoot lefty with all calibers and have no issues.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I shoot lefty with all calibers and have no issues.
View Quote

I do also, but the 9mm uppers I've seen don't have a deflector and all of my other rifles do.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I haven't shot my Matrix yet, but I don't really shoot enough to break stuff anyway.

I did want to try one of the NoDak uppers at one point, but they were out and I bought something else. I still think it'd be neat. :)
http://www.nodakspud.com/images/NDS-15M.JPG
View Quote

You mean like the one on the bottom?

ETA:  Another pic

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://i65.tinypic.com/2n1fbpl.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/21jnbdh.jpg
View Quote

Exactly so, though with the MI rail and an SBR. :)
Do you get any debris from the charging slot?
Is it fun?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Is it fun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i65.tinypic.com/2n1fbpl.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/21jnbdh.jpg

Is it fun?

No debris, the charging rail fits snugly in the handle. but I don't have a suppressor.  Maybe some day.

Iron sights only at this stage, so it's a short range shooter.  I may mount a bottom third co-witness red dot on the rail.  Another maybe someday project.  With the light weight (Colt) barrel, it's easy to handle even at 16", and it no longer has the flash hider, just a plain thread protector.  Not worth the $200 stamp to me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I already have this:

Though I changed to an old style carbine stock. The Nodak upper would be super neat, but not sure what I'd do with the current Fulton Armory A1 upper.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a hair less than a 1000 through a NFA side charger being used on a dedicated 9mm. No issues whatsoever. 
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I ended up getting the MAS Defense 9mm side charger. Time to go put a lot of rounds through it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I have an asa upper.  Works flawlessly and looks great.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top