Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2017 1:52:01 PM EDT
I already have a 10/22 and a,Ciener Conversion kit.  I'm looking for a dedicated 22 rimfire AR15 for training at the range. Accuracy is important, as well as feel.  Been looking at S&W 15-22 and CMMG M4 among others.  Any recommendations?  Thanks, Chuck
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a Cmmg before but it jammed all the time. I now own two 15-22s and the only thing missing on them is a forward assist. They are great and being polymer are a lot lighter.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Just use your ciener kit for a dedicated build (collar/barrel).

I picked up a few ciener kits years ago and used them in dedicated builds.  My kids and I have gone through boxes and boxes of fed bulk with just a few ammo related issues.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]
M&P 15-22. Do it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]
M&P 15-22 I had mine set up nicely before the divorce sale.. I miss that gun. I WILL buy another one.. So fun to plink with.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both the M&P-15/22 and a CMMG .22 upper on a Spikes lower. I like the S&W alot better. I recently added the Boonie Packer magwell conversion to my CMMG/Spikes that allows it to use the S&W mags, which is freaking awesome.

I also recently did this to both the S&W and CMMG/Spikes and they both run better

How to make your AR22 run

The S&W was already more reliable than the CMMG/Spikes, but this made it even better. and the CMMG/Spikes now functions much better and smoother.

TLDR - Get the S&W, great, lightweight and awesome mags
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have both the M&P-15/22 and a CMMG .22 upper on a Spikes lower. I like the S&W alot better. I recently added the Boonie Packer magwell conversion to my CMMG/Spikes that allows it to use the S&W mags, which is freaking awesome.

I also recently did this to both the S&W and CMMG/Spikes and they both run better

How to make your AR22 run

The S&W was already more reliable than the CMMG/Spikes, but this made it even better. and the CMMG/Spikes now functions much better and smoother.

TLDR - Get the S&W, great, lightweight and awesome mags
View Quote

Prior post makes a good point.  Worth the $ if you already own a Ciener with 20 mags and dedicated Kuell barrel/upper already setup?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Prior post makes a good point.  Worth the $ if you already own a Ciener with 20 mags and dedicated barrel?
View Quote

Prolly not. I only had 4 CMMG mags, and a bunch of S&W mags, so it works for me
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
M&P 15-22 Sport.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
M&P 15-22 Sport.
View Quote

I guess I'm getting one.  I just bought 20 MP 15-22 mags at Midway for $11.99 each
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#10]
You can also run 15-22 magazines from an AR
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Tactical Solutions Upper.. I had a hard time getting everything to cycle so i had a gun smith fix it.  I think he changed the springs.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a Tactical Solutions Upper.. I had a hard time getting everything to cycle so i had a gun smith fix it.  I think he changed the springs.
View Quote

I have owned 3 dedicatedt AR22 Uppers the First was Spikes Tactical. I found in Ammo Sensitive as well as and unless clean regularly  (after every session ) a bit of a Jam omatic. I eventually traded toward a new revolver.
Next at a gunshow  I bought a Tactical Solutions upper. A couple of things When I first bought it , I wanted to use it on a lower I had with an RRA 2 stage and it wouldn't work , After contacting Tac Sol they acknowledged that the first gen bolt I had wouldn't work and swapped it for no cost for one that would.  It has eaten everything I have fed it and it has spent vast majority of its life Suppressed  It doesn't seem to care how often I clean it .The one exception to this was that being lazy I almost never took the bolt apart (usually just spraying it out with gun blast)   Well of course after around 12k rounds carbon built up and I shattered a firing pin. Called Tac Sol them what happened they sent a new one free. To this day the Tac Sol AR22 is the AR I shoot the most.
I also fell into a deal fro a CMMG upper and for about 3 months ran it side by side with the Tac Sol It was a little picky about ammo  I had no real complaint about it fit and finnish wasn't quite as nice as the Tac Sol,  but when a friend returned from deployment overseas and was looking for a AR22  abut the same time I was looking to fun another project I sold it to him. He tells me now that he has run 3k rounds through it it eats anything. ( I hop he is right because I have 22lr 9 inch barrel and bolt on order from CMMG.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm surprised by the responses of the cmmg dedicated.  I have had mine for a few years and it runs great.  Not sure how old mine is but it I have 6 gray magazines with green followers.  Only had to replace 1 spring in a magazine other than that runs like a champ.  Recently put cmmg LRBHO in and not had a chance to run it yet, if it acts out I was going to make the magazine switch.  But really no complaints on mine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 CMMG dedicated 22lr AR's first one I bought assembled by CMMG, second one I built--very easy btw. Both run 100% reliable. I have an extra CMMG heavy barrel if your interested.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top