Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2017 2:46:12 AM EDT
I bought some through AIM a week or two ago and they came in on Mon.  I opened up a 20rd and a 32rd and noticed the follower was completely different than the Metform PSA Colt mags I have.

Put one into the PSA Colt lower I have and it seated, but I had a HARD time pulling the charging handle back.  Removed mag and seated the mag and hit the bolt release and the BCG would not go into battery.

Used a dremel to reshape the follower and it still did not seat.  Removed the follower and spring and seated the gutted mag in with BCG back.  Released the bolt hold and it still did not seat.  filed a little on the top of the mag to clearance it, and the BCG went in further, but no seating.

I contacted AIM and sent the mags back for a refund.

Anyone able to successfully make these work with their PSA 9mm Colt lowers?  I am using a KAW valley BCG.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:52:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Check my post on this about my ASC mags which are the same thing as c products.

You have to works them down a bit and fix the follower....works but its so not cool how muchyou how to do.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The bolt typically drags on the feedlip - can't recall if it was right or left - but you need to work on them as mentioned.  They need some reshaping of the follower and feedlips at the very least.

QC is lacking, so there could be other issues to address as well.  Some swear by them though, so who knows....
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#3]
From what i've read, some - but not all - 9mm AR bolts follow the original Colt specs (RRA and Spinta are two that I know of.)  The original Colt 9mm ARs were designed to work with UZI magazines that had modified magazine catches.

The UZI magazines have wide feed lips, so if you use C-Products magazines with a BCG built off original Colt specs, the bolt will not clear the feed lips of the magazine.

It took me a couple minutes to lightly file down the feed lips and the problem with the bolt hitting the feed lips was cured.

FWIW, i'm using a Black Creek Precision dedicated 9mm lower.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Good to know I can eventually make them work.  I have the 20rd that I was already working on.  I did file the top of the feed lips, I guess I need to file more.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good to know I can eventually make them work.  I have the 20rd that I was already working on.  I did file the top of the feed lips, I guess I need to file more.
View Quote

If you do a Google search, there's a step-by-step guide on what to do with the C-Products / ASC magazines.

What I did is to measure the distance between the feed lips with my caliper (the article I found had the dimensions for UZI magazines.)  I removed the follower and spring, and then filed a little.  Then, I would try it in my AR-9.  File a little bit more, then try it again.  I found that I didn't have to open them up to the exact gap between feed lips that the UZI magazines were to get them to work fine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had all kinds of issues with my C Products / ASC mags. I've never had a problem with Metalform.
The ASC mags require opening the feed lips and cleaning them up. I have also modified the anglesof the feed lips and follwers so that they will feed the heavier 147 grain bullets. When you look at the 2 different mags side to side it's easy to see the faults in the ASC mags.
The Metalforms look more like the Uzi mags. I don't where ASC came up with their design.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Not seen that guide before. got a link?? I tried google, but all I turn up is a bunch of complaints..
View Quote

My Google-Fu is weak this morning - I can't find it either.

But, I have the website at home where I printed it off as a pdf.  I'll look tonight and see if I can get the URL off the printout.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My Google-Fu is weak this morning - I can't find it either.

But, I have the website at home where I printed it off as a pdf.  I'll look tonight and see if I can get the URL off the printout.
View Quote

Please do. I haven't been able to find it either.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought some through AIM a week or two ago and they came in on Mon.  I opened up a 20rd and a 32rd and noticed the follower was completely different than the Metform PSA Colt mags I have.

Put one into the PSA Colt lower I have and it seated, but I had a HARD time pulling the charging handle back.  Removed mag and seated the mag and hit the bolt release and the BCG would not go into battery.

Used a dremel to reshape the follower and it still did not seat.  Removed the follower and spring and seated the gutted mag in with BCG back.  Released the bolt hold and it still did not seat.  filed a little on the top of the mag to clearance it, and the BCG went in further, but no seating.

I contacted AIM and sent the mags back for a refund.

Anyone able to successfully make these work with their PSA 9mm Colt lowers?  I am using a KAW valley BCG.
View Quote

LOL

Why not just buy Metalform?  You just like the pain of frustration?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#11]
With C-Products Defense (and ASC) magazines, you can see a substantial design difference from the "standard" Metalform magazine.  Metalform uses a flat follower and lip design that is essentially identical to the Uzi magazine, while the C-Pro magazine uses a fairly steep angle on both the follower and lips.

I've found that I can tweak the position of my RRA magazine block to reliably handle modified Uzi magazines, Metalform magazines, and (old style) C-Products magazines.  With a dedicated lower or a pinned magazine block, you might have some issues...or even MAJOR issues because of the lip/follower angle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
With C-Products Defense (and ASC) magazines, you can see a substantial design difference from the "standard" Metalform magazine.  Metalform uses a flat follower and lip design that is essentially identical to the Uzi magazine, while the C-Pro magazine uses a fairly steep angle on both the follower and lips.

I've found that I can tweak the position of my RRA magazine block to reliably handle modified Uzi magazines, Metalform magazines, and (old style) C-Products magazines.  With a dedicated lower or a pinned magazine block, you might have some issues...or even MAJOR issues because of the lip/follower angle.
View Quote

Metalform had both the flat and upturned lip design that the original Uzi mags had (I haven't seen the upturned mags on their site recently, so I don't know if they still sell them or not, but the upturned lip style is what RRA shows for sale on their site).

CP/ASC has a flat feed lip similar/same as Metalform, but they seem to have a bit of taper from back to front, which usually contacts the bolt.  The follower definitely has a steeper angle than the Metalform follower, so up/down position of mag in relation to feedramp and barrel seems to be more critical with CP/ASC mags than Metalform.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I found the links to the web pages that I mentioned.  Its not so much a tutorial as it is a compilation of information on how to resolve issues with ASC/C Products 9mm magazines.

Pag 1

Page 2

Page 3

I ran into problems last year when building my AR-9.  The information on these pages helped me resolve the issue I was having with ASC magazines and the Spinta bolt.

When I filed down the feed lips, I found out that I didn't have to open them up as much as the fella in one of the posts did using his mill.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a 32,20 and 10 round ASC mag.   The 32 rounder worked right away but the 20 and 10 were a problem.   I looked at the difference between them and found the 20 and 10 rounder had the follower cocked toward the front a bit, the did not sit even like the 32 rounder.   Took them apart and found the springs in wrong.   Corrected the problem and now the follower sits even and they work like a champ.  Also one C Products mag and it need the spring correction, too.

Lower is a Black Creek Precision.   Works fine with any bullet style with any type of magazine.   The polymer ProMags need a bit of tweaking but no big deal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Excellent!!!  Looks like that about covers what may be the causes and the fixes we may find with the ASC mags.  Seems it's just small tweeks to the lips and follower.
View Quote

You're welcome!  Glad that I could help out.

Mods, could this thread become a sticky so that the information will always be readily available?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top