Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2017 2:28:24 PM EDT
Put this in the pcc forum but didn't get a response. Figured I'd try here

I'm in the market for a pistol caliber carbine to use in uspsa and for general fun. I have looked at a bunch of different options and I really like the Colt a lot. I have a Cz EVO pistol and have thought about the carbine, but I may try something different. Also the sig mpx is interesting but it's a lot more expensive for not much gain (although a non blowback mechanism is pretty cool). Mp5's are too expensive, otherwise I'd probably go that route. The Colt is only about $900 so it's not too much more than comparable 9mm Ar's. With an ar type rifle, I can use a lot of stuff I already have for ar's like triggers, etc.

What can anyone with a 6951 tell me about them?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
They've been around a long time, work well, lifetime warranty. I doubt you'll find anyone speaking bad about them, though folks might offer alternatives.

If the 9mm Colt SBR's were around last year before I registered my SBR, I'd have gotten one of them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one. Love it. Wouldn't trade it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had both the 6450 & 6951's over the years & I love them!
I was lucky enough to get a true lower that had never been anything ,but a receiver & SBR's it!
Got my stamp back & it is headed to engraver to be forever a Family heirloom!
Very happy with all of them & have never really had any issues except crappy re-loads.
Get one & enjoy it forever!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one, it works fine and it's fun.

I put a Trijicon SRS on it and it's pretty fast on steel targets.

If you get one, keep looking on Palmetto State Armory for magazines.

Every once in a great while they put their metalform mags on sale for about $12.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The Colt for $900.00 will always going to be a safe buy. They are extremely reliable using Metal Form or PSA (Metal Form made for PSA).

But, if it was me I would just build one using a dedicated 9mm Colt mag lower from QC10, PSA, Black Creek Precision. In this day and age having an adapter block pinned to a standard lower is so old school and just looks plain ugly. Don't get me wrong I've used a mag block for over a decade and it worked well.

Also, it will make for having a more comfortable mag well grip.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Colt for $900.00 will always going to be a safe buy. They are extremely reliable using Metal Form or PSA (Metal Form made for PSA).

But if it was me I would just build one using a dedicated 9mm Colt mag lower From QC10, PSA, Black Creek Precision. In this day and age having a adapter block pinned to a standard lower is so old school and just looks plain ugly. Don't get me wrong I used a mag block for over a decade and it works well.

Also, it will make for having a more comfortable mag well grip.
View Quote

True, except if you're SBRing it and have limited funds.  In that case, you may be better off with a regular receiver and mag block; that way you can have more than one short barreled upper on the same registered lower; 5.56, 9X19, 300BLK, for example.

If all you want is a 9X19 carbine, and don't want to spend the coin on an MP5, then I'd look for a used IMI Uzi.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
True, except if you're SBRing it and have limited funds.  In that case, you may be better off with a regular receiver and mag block; that way you can have more than one short barreled upper on the same registered lower; 5.56, 9X19, 300BLK, for example.
View Quote

That would be good if you got a regular AR lower and bought a removable adapter, but the Colt adapter is pinned in, so not removable.

It IS very nice to have a Colt roll mark specific to the 9mm, rather than a generic roll mark, but then any other makers would also have a 9mm only rollmark, so meh.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:07:32 AM EDT
[#8]
The 6951s seem to only have 1, maybe 2, production runs a year which can make them difficult to find depending on when you look.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top