BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2017 2:29:23 AM EDT
From another thread:
Quoted:
By the way, looks like Blackdog machine is phasing out the X-Form mags for the newer sonic welded mags. Anybody else notice this?
View Quote

Anyone tried the new Black Dog Machine "Sonic Weld" magazines?  It seems that the new mags don't have any screws.  The previous generation magazines were pretty sturdy...how do these new Sonic Weld mags compare?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had no real issues with them... but you cannot disassemble ( clean the insides / follower ) the sonic weld ones.
View Quote

So you are saying they are completely sealed?  They don't have a removable floorplate to swap spring/follower any more?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still has the floor plate... just can't "open" them up. I should have been more specific.

"The X Form magazine will be replaced with our "Sonic X" magazine. We are blowing out X Form inventory and will no longer carry that product.
The Sonic X is almost exactly like the X Form only it is sonic welded instead of assembled with brass and screws. The new sonic weld design will prevent cracks and breaks. This new light weight design will last a lifetime. The magazine plate, spring and plug can be removed allowing you to clean your magazine with warm soapy water. We offer both steel feed lip or glass filled nylon feed lip. "

From their FB page.
View Quote

I was recently thinking about picking up another 8-10 and thought I remembered reading they were still "serviceable", but just wanted to be sure.

I've had 8 (screw together) for quite a while and probably put >10K rounds through them - I have never opened them up to clean them.  Come to think of it, I have never even removed the springs/followers to clean them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was shopping my 22ar upper I asked the manufacture what mag he recommended and I was told the Sonic-weld with plastic feed lips.

I questioned him and said my thinking was steel lips with screw together mags for cleaning and durability. He said NO some of the guys had breakage at the screws on the body.

Then went to Blackdog to order, it appears the Sonics are what they are going to and they had a half off sale on 15rd screw togethers @ $10 ea.
Ordered some of each and if they break I figure they would probably be replaced with Sonics.

That said the limited run I have on all these mags has been flawless.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Being as I have 12 of his very first production run 30 round mags that have thousands of rounds through each one that still work great except replacing springs I assume his newest mags are gonna be great as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Good, they often had cracking on around the screws and bosses
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top