Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 4:09:46 PM EDT
I modified my AR-9 by adding a left side charging handle.  Pretty easy to do if you have a mill.  I cut a .270" wide by 4" long slot in the left side of the upper receiver.  I made a new "gas key" out of 12L14 steel.  I used a 1/4 x 1" shoulder screw for an operating handle.  I purchased a plug for the normal operating handle opening in the back of the upper.

Jim Skeel

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good! I've been tempted lately to do it to one of mine, but after I finish modding it for lrbho
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll bet you could modify one of the aftermarket bolt handles they sell for hi-point carbines to work with that. Just a thought
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a great place for dirt to find its way in the receiver.  My.02
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you close your receiver's dust cover between each shot ??  
You do realize that receivers that don't have a dust cover are being manufactured and sold ??

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
That's really cool
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Dirt can get in that big hole the empty brass comes out of too
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice mod, OP. 

You could maybe install a strip brush dust cover if you are concerned about dust entry. (Think parking brake dust brushes.) 

I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have run several hundred rounds through the left side charger modification now.  I have done two others for my shooting buddies.  The carrier key needs red permanent Loctite on the screw threads.  Staking is not adequate.  The operating handle (shoulder bolt) needs blue Loctite to keep it tight.  The Gas Blocker Plug for the rear opening which I obtained from Accurate & Reliable Rifle works well.

All in all I am very happy with the left side active charger modification.  It is easy to operate and you can tell the bolt is fully closed just by looking at the handle position in the slot.

I just installed a Tubb AR-10 Flat Wire recoil spring.  It made a noticeable reduction in felt recoil over a standard carbine spring.  The AR-10 spring reduces the bump when the buffer hits the bottom of the buffer tube.  I am using the PSA 9mm buffer (5.8 ounces).  I cannot decide if limiting the bolt stroke to just past the LRBHO latch is a good idea or not.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top