Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 1:06:52 AM EDT
Took my 9mm budget build pistol out for first time. Only had a few problems, a couple FTLs and a couple FTEs. This was with a Spinta bolt and Spinta 8 inch barrel in a PSA lower with a PSA mag block using ASC mags and a mix of Blazer, Winchester and gun-show reload ammo.

Thought I'd have a lot more issues with feeding, so I'm grateful. I'm going to see if I get better reliability with a regular spring instead of the Springco red with the 7.5 buffer next time. That spring and buffer combo created very light recoil but puts a lot of forward momentum on the bolt catch and buffer retainer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thought I'd have a lot more issues with feeding, so I'm grateful.
View Quote

The last thing I'm thinking when I have even one issue with a firearm is that I'm grateful that there weren't a lot more issues.

Hopefully you can get things resolved with a few tweaks rather than having to mod things or send parts out for "fixin".
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
That sounds like a lot of issues actually.

I put a PSA 9mm pistol together last year and so far I've shot 400rds with 0 malfunctions whatsoever.

ETA: Also built a (mostly) RRA 9mm rifle a few years ago and probably put 500rds through it before I sold it, also with no malfunctions of any kind.

Both have/had complete factory uppers, but the lowers were just finished with whatever random LPKs, buffers, buffer springs I had laying around.  I haven't experimented with different springs and buffers, but I know others who've tried pretty much every spring and buffer weight available in an attempt to find the optimum recoil/impulse, and their 9mm ARs still worked with all of them.  IMO I don't think springs and buffers have as much effect in blowbacks as some people will lead you to believe.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:04:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking about minor tweaks, possibly trying out different magazines. Obviously zero malfunctions is the goal, but I'm willing to put up with the occasional one on this build given how finicky I've heard AR9s can be. And this is definitely more of a blaster/toy, not my l go-to life and liberty weapon. I do appreciate the feedback though. It's nice having a forum where the more experienced can help the less.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:07:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:18:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I did a budget type 9mm build

PSA glock lower, Spinta blem bolt and BA barrel

Functioned right out of the gate.

In fact the first and only real issue I had was when I bought an ETS 31 round mag. It wouldn't feed at first unless I downloaded to 29

I did play around with buffer springs and spacers to dampen the recoil and slow extraction but that was just fine tuning.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top