Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2017 11:01:47 AM EDT
Has anyone here bought any of these? Any issues with yours? I bought the 80% dedicated 9mm lower and first impressions were not great. Its not all together yet so maybe next week after i can hopefully shoot the pistol im building i will have some better input.

Right out of the box i had to file the magwell to get my metalform mags to fit in. The bolt catch doesnt seem to work unless the hammer is forward and when i set my rra upper on it, theres a big gap between the receivers.

Let me know if any of you have this lower.
I will update when its together. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of their 80%s.

I milled it and fit it to my upper but found that the inside of the front mounting lugs were not parallel with the centerline of the lower, which caused the upper to be misaligned by a fair amount at the rear lug.

I emailed them about it and they said they had a few that a recently terminated machinist had done that had inadvertantly gone out the door.

They offered to exchange it -- I'd already spent hours hand milling it and sending it to them would require the use of an FFL and I didn't want to deal with that, so I asked if I could get a (substantial) discount on a second, which they agreed to and sent my way.

The second fits up fine but I haven't milled that one yet. For the first one, I milled the lugs parallel and the upper aligns and fits fine now, so I consider myself to have gotten a good one and a discounted blem.

The finished one functions fine with my PSA metalform mags and everything else I've done with it. It probably has 3-4,000 rounds through it now.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
My psa mags wouldnt fit out of the box, side to side was too tight. So i filed the two side until it slid in, just to find the front to back had what i would consider a lot of play.
I cant seem to get the bolt to hold open and i used there 9mm builders kit. Maybe after shooting this will get better. I hope.

I also ordered the "reduced" mag well, i guess that means for an extra 20 bucks they comp out .2 on the front for you.. not worth it. I wanted to mill it back more but wasnt interested in messing up the anodizing.

Glad to see you made yours work though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I used their 9mm builders kit but I didn't like the finish on the feed ramp so I got one from CMMG (which they claim to get their from too ). They said it wasn't up to standard and they'd exchange that but I didn't get around to it.

Here's their feed ramp compared to the one on my Hahn block.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Overall if I were going to build another dedicated 9mm from an 80% I'd buy another lower from SMF. There aren't a lot of dedicated 9mm 80%s, in fact, I'm not aware of another vendor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen a couple others for colt style, however theyre always out of stock.
Im all for the 80percent builds, but i think if i do another build in 9mm, i will just buy a finished lower from PSA or RRA or QC10 or some of the others places making 9mm lowers complete. Like i said in the first post though, i hope getting everythimg together and shooting it will smooth some stuff and if it functions good then i guess its a win.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm weird in that I enjoy having my own "rollmark" engraved with my SBR info on my 80%s rather than piggyback off someone else's lower. So I spend way too much money and time on 80%s. I sure do have an irrational sense of pride in that nice shiny fire control pocket.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I got one from a vendor on Gunbroker:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/613377695

I used the 5d jig and it worked fine, the rear lug was a bit too tight before cutting, I guess the rear shelf is a bit high, but cutting it with the jig fixed that as part of regular cutting, so everything went togethor fine. I haven't built the entire thing up yet so haven't test fired it. The 9mm parts (included) are a little different than the CMMG parts.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#9]
So after finishing my upper and test firing, everything worked great, besides a few feeding issues, not sure if this a mag problem or the lower though. The round wanted to feed straight up and down and block the bolt from closing. Other then that and the fit and finish. The smf lower seems to get the job. Cant complain. Just need this feed issue solved!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered and received an SMF 80% 9mm lower and it's quite nice. I like it and will buy another.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dirty8/20170210_141156.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dirty8/20170210_141205.jpg
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:48:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just ordered and received an SMF 80% 9mm lower and it's quite nice. I like it and will buy another.

View Quote
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top