Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2017 9:10:45 AM EDT
I have a 2005 year model 6450 and want to upgrade the trigger.  

What are my options?   I assume ramp the bolt and run just about any available large pin trigger?   Or are there decent options out there that do not require ramping the bolt?

If I have to ramp the bolt and replace the trigger I'm looking at $300+ so that puts it in the "not going to happen soon" category.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#1]
This link will give you some good info on what style hammers you can run with ramped and non-ramped bolts.

http://rockriverarms.com/images/pdfs/RRA_940Conv.pdf

Basically, with a non-ramped bolt, you can run a 9mm hammer or any std. hammer profile (non-notched).
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen that before thanks.

I was thinking ramping the bolt allowed you to run NM style notched hammer triggers but I guess not.

I'm pretty sure the RR bolts are very similar or identical to the Colt bolts.  My stock trigger is your typical gritty, creepy and heavy trigger.  

I was hoping to improve that without dropping a bunch of money on a range toy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I modified my 6450 pretty much as you described. I had the bolt ramped, replaced the hammer with a JP Enterprises Colt Large Pin Speed Hammer, swapped out the buffer for Slash's 9Q, and added KNS pins.
Works great. Here's a link to the hammer.   JP-Speed Hammer

Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Good looking 6450.

I have the same optic but I replaced the upper receiver with a flat top so I didn't have to do a gooseneck.

I'm real happy with everything but the awful trigger.  Did you really need to ramp the bolt for that hammer?  And who did you have do it?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Speed hammers are easy to make yourself.  Just get a std. hammer and cut the entire tail off with a dremel or grinder and cold blue the exposed metal.  No need to pay more for them.

If the profile of the JP hammer is the same as a std. hammer (looks like it is), it should work fine with either ramped or non-ramped bolts.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good looking 6450.

I have the same optic but I replaced the upper receiver with a flat top so I didn't have to do a gooseneck.

I'm real happy with everything but the awful trigger.  Did you really need to ramp the bolt for that hammer?  And who did you have do it?
View Quote

At the time I obtained this rifle, there were several recommended mods people were making to their 9MMs. The ramped bolt and DPMS style hammers were among the things to do. I've also used neutered m16 hammers. Team member MJP was ramping bolts for people back then and did a couple for me. The last bolt I had ramped I sent to Rudy at Macon Armory. His work is outstanding.

I purchased the JP hammer because it was the only one I could find that had a similar profile to the DPMS hammer and fit large pin Colts. And Kevin's correct. Making a speed hammer is easy. I've done a couple to use in .22LR builds. But, again, I couldn't find a large pin hammer that wasn't notched.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I would go with the hiperfire 24 3gun trigger. It will work in a 9mm and you'll love it
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I purchased the JP hammer because it was the only one I could find that had a similar profile to the DPMS hammer and fit large pin Colts.
View Quote

If there aren't many options for std profile hammers in the large pin variety, JP may be the one/only option.

As far as other options, I thought there was still a decent number of aftermarket trigger suppliers still making large pin stuff that "should" work.  I think the Geissele SSA works in 9mm.  I think Timney has something in the $150 range.  I have seen posts on other forums of people using the Timney triggers with non-ramped bolts.  I imagine the Geisseles would work just as well as they look to have a similar hammer profile as the Timney.

If the OP is on a budget, maybe just leave the bolt non-ramped and work on the trigger/hammer he has - swapping springs and/or working on the existing trigger/hammer to make it better.

I believe M60Joe is still offering conversions of large hammer pin lower to small pin - either by welding and redrilling or by installing bushings...not sure of cost though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If there aren't many options for std profile hammers in the large pin variety, JP may be the one/only option.

As far as other options, I thought there was still a decent number of aftermarket trigger suppliers still making large pin stuff that "should" work. I think the Geissele SSA works in 9mm. I think Timney has something in the $150 range.  I have seen posts on other forums of people using the Timney triggers with non-ramped bolts.  I imagine the Geisseles would work just as well as they look to have a similar hammer profile as the Timney.

If the OP is on a budget, maybe just leave the bolt non-ramped and work on the trigger/hammer he has - swapping springs and/or working on the existing trigger/hammer to make it better.

I believe M60Joe is still offering conversions of large hammer pin lower to small pin - either by welding and redrilling or by installing bushings...not sure of cost though.
View Quote

Very interesting as I have one of those in my large pin 5.56 SBR.  I may have to take a look at that.

I have no desire to modify the lower receiver.  But ramping the bolt if need be to work with a aftermarket trigger I would do.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]
SWFA had a CMC large pin single stage on the Sample List for 109 so I ordered it.

I tested my 9mm upper on my 5.56 lower with SSA and it seemed to hand cycle and reset the trigger just fine.  I'll try the same with the CMC trigger.  If it doesn't work I can move it to the 5.56 SBR and use the SSA in the 9mm rifle.

I may not even have to ramp the bolt now.

Thanks again for the responses.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:03:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Looking forward to hearing more about this when it is ready for prime time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

At the time I obtained this rifle, there were several recommended mods people were making to their 9MMs. The ramped bolt and DPMS style hammers were among the things to do. I've also used neutered m16 hammers. Team member MJP was ramping bolts for people back then and did a couple for me. The last bolt I had ramped I sent to Rudy at Macon Armory. His work is outstanding.

I purchased the JP hammer because it was the only one I could find that had a similar profile to the DPMS hammer and fit large pin Colts. And Kevin's correct. Making a speed hammer is easy. I've done a couple to use in .22LR builds. But, again, I couldn't find a large pin hammer that wasn't notched.
View Quote

MGP and I'm still doing them :)
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry MGP. I remembered your first and last name, but the middle initial escaped me. It's been a long time.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sorry MGP. I remembered your first and last name, but the middle initial escaped me. It's been a long time.

Dave
View Quote

Not a Problem:) Yes it has. Thanks for recommending me. I see they are still running good.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top