Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2017 9:15:28 PM EDT
Hello Arfcom,

I currently have a 9 mm suppressor that I used to attach to an MP5.  Sold the MP5 (idiot) and the Mac11 (dummy) and realized I have 1000s of rounds of 9 mm ammo and a suppressor I can't use.

I also have an M16 currently set up for 223.  Well actually it is an SP1 conversion (legal of course).

So I'm thinking (sort of) that buying a nice short barrel threaded 9mm upper for the machine-gun lower would be fun.  Looking for advice on up to date best 9mm uppers and blocks and where to get them at the best deal.  I assume since I have the registered machine-gun I don't need to worry about a SBR configuration on that lower.  

Tips gratefully received.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
get a 5 inch barrel so that with the can its not to long and front end heavy.  You gain nothing by going longer than 4.5 to 5 inches.  Get a handguard that will go over the can also, nice clean efficient setup.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  Any manufacturer you can suggest?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  checking them out.  Hahn block and colt mags or are the glock mags "the thing" these days?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
any bottom loading block will be fine and the colt mags or the metalform mags are both 100%.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to use Metalform.
There isn't a glock mag block for a standard lower
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#7]
So where do you get a mag block and metal form mags?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
any bottom loading block will be fine and the colt mags or the metalform mags are both 100%.
View Quote

Unfortunately, not true.  The manufacturer of the 9mm upper I bought saw fit to equip it with a Pro-Mag loading block, if you can even imagine anything worse. Predictably, it was a complete POS.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
You can get Hahn Precision blocks direct through http://shop.hahn-precision.com/ or Brownells. Those are the only blocks I have experience with. I hear https://maconarmory.com/ is good as well, but may have to contact him for 9mm.
Check Palmetto for their 32rnd Metalform mags. They are on sale for $19.99 fairly often/now http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-9mm-smg-magazine.html
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks.  I am off called to duty by wife unit.  Any other suggestions i will read in the morning.  I do have experience with a hahn block and if the metal form mags work well at that price I am happy to go that route.  

Then it's a question of figuring out which upper (as full auto is a must) and butt stock spring etc.  Should be a fun project.  I won't complete it until I am back from overseas in May but I can order the parts to be here when I return.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I built up both of my 9mm uppers from parts I found on sale or selected for various reasons. Palmetto sells complete 9mm uppers, but I am not sure their bolt is the best. I have Spintas in both of my builds. They are relatively cheap, but probably not the best either. Check out http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ They have a nice selection of parts as well as some complete uppers to choose from. The Kaw Valley 9mm Buffer/Spring Combo looks good to me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I used CMMG with ramped bolt in my reg. lower...
It ran like shit through a goose.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I purchased a complete Colt 635 upper with carrier and charging handle off GB for $435.00..

Give that a look
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, not true.  The manufacturer of the 9mm upper I bought saw fit to equip it with a Pro-Mag loading block, if you can even imagine anything worse. Predictably, it was a complete POS.
View Quote

boy you are absolutely right, I forgot about those turds.  Get a Hahn or the RRA are very nice and engraved 9mm also.  The $49 pro mag are total crap.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Three points.  

First.  I'd call Rudy and get a guaranteed to run upper.   What could be easier?

Second.  You do gain terminal performance from going from a 4-5 inch barrel to about a 10-11 inch barrel.  The ballistic data is there.   I have a 10.5 upper and the balance is great.  Sometimes I suppress but not often.  

Moot point if that's not a concern.  

Third.  Please do some picture editing.  It's really easy.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I exchanged emails with the local Colt distributor/armorer.  A well known "good guy" on Subguns.com.  He seriously recommends I do NOT convert the registered receiver to 9mm.  Says it can damage it and he has seen it happen.  So I'm going to take his word for it.

I also stopped in a local store today.  Wow.  I have a lot of choices.  And for the record, the law regarding the difference between a stock and paddle or whatever you call it is ridiculous.  I mean really?  But I did learn a few things about SBRs and recent NFA stuff.  For example I can do everything in the store.  No running down into the city to see the sheriffs dept for fingerprinting etc.  All in the store.  That makes a huge difference.

I also got to put my hands on several very likable choices.  Like a brand new H&K pistol that once made into a SBR I could convert into a semi MP5K.  Tempting (and expensive).  Looked at a Sig MPX.  Like but mags are pricy.  Kriss.  Wilson Combat.  I think I'll be taking my suppressor down to see how it might fit the various options and perhaps make a decision then.  It is a large can.  Maybe I should just give up on it but we'll see.

Thanks for all the tips.  I'm making slow progress.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well I exchanged emails with the local Colt distributor/armorer.  A well known "good guy" on Subguns.com.  He seriously recommends I do NOT convert the registered receiver to 9mm.  Says it can damage it and he has seen it happen.  So I'm going to take his word for it.
View Quote

That doesn't sound right.  Did he elaborate on the damage he has seen?

There is very little that can be done to a receiver that couldn't be repaired (ex. M60Joe).  The most likely instance of damage with 9mm ARs is a broken hammer pin which can be mitigated/eliminated with the use of KNS pins.

If I had the disposable income to afford a $20-25K firearm and the ammo to shoot it the way it was intended, I don't think I'd be worried about things.  Why buy the firearm if it can't handle being used, right?  If I didn't have the disposable income to deal with issues that might arise, I'm not sure I'd play in the MG realm at all.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I also stopped in a local store today.  Wow.  I have a lot of choices.  And for the record, the law regarding the difference between a stock and paddle or whatever you call it is ridiculous.  I mean really?  But I did learn a few things about SBRs and recent NFA stuff.  For example I can do everything in the store.  No running down into the city to see the sheriffs dept for fingerprinting etc.  All in the store.  That makes a huge difference.

I also got to put my hands on several very likable choices.  Like a brand new H&K pistol that once made into a SBR I could convert into a semi MP5K.  Tempting (and expensive).  Looked at a Sig MPX.  Like but mags are pricy.  Kriss.  Wilson Combat.  I think I'll be taking my suppressor down to see how it might fit the various options and perhaps make a decision then.  It is a large can.  Maybe I should just give up on it but we'll see.

Thanks for all the tips.  I'm making slow progress.
View Quote

Well if you are off the idea of the M16 lower then you should just look in to a Glock based AR9

PSA has all the stuff relatively cheap but you can also go high quality with QC10 stuff.  

I built mine from the ground up.  It is just plain fun.

I will suppress it at some point and maybe SBR it if they de regulate SBRs.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#20]
My understanding of the damage is that the holes in the receiver that hold the innards can become damaged aka not round and not hold the parts in any longer.

And really, that receiver was intended for 223.  So it is used as intended.  Not sure I got this right but the guy isn't trying to sell me anything and he is an industry expert on the subject.

I am looking at the Wilson Combat AR9 using Glock mags as a potential solution.  I really liked it in the store.  Might go back today with the suppressor to see if it's threaded right.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My understanding of the damage is that the holes in the receiver that hold the innards can become damaged aka not round and not hold the parts in any longer.

And really, that receiver was intended for 223.  So it is used as intended.  Not sure I got this right but the guy isn't trying to sell me anything and he is an industry expert on the subject.

I am looking at the Wilson Combat AR9 using Glock mags as a potential solution.  I really liked it in the store.  Might go back today with the suppressor to see if it's threaded right.
View Quote

The hammer/trigger pin holes can egg out with high enough round count regardless of the caliber shot as they rotate.  The KNS pins do not rotate and in theory should not cause the trigger/hammer holes to egg out.  The only difference with a MG is that you can get to a higher round count much quicker than a non-MG...

No disrespect, but the guy you talked to doesn't sound like much of an industry expert if the above is what he told you.

It don't think it is uncommon for a RR to need repair or have been repaired.  This is why folks like M60Joe offer the repair services they do.

If you just have a bunch of 9mm ammo and a suppressor that you want to shoot, you can pretty much buy anything 9mm.  Doesn't even have to be a 9mm AR...
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From what I gather you should be using the KNS non-rotate pins in any case, but even if you egg out the holes you'd just pay some guy to drill it out and pit in steel whatsits to be your new holes.

Lots and lots of options for 9mm, I think the wilson is a nice looking gun, but then I've heard of a few issues with them. A factory SBR with Beretta mags would have been a great thing for me, but eh. Instead I just built up a new AR myself.

If you want something off the rack, CMMG would be my suggestion, though Rock River guns are fine. If you want parts, Macon is great, but he doesn't do complete guns afaik. You're familiar with the HK options (though I believe you're probably better off doing a Zenith or other clone rather than overpaying for the HK name, since the HK has some oddities) and the SIG is a nice gun though support seems iffy.

The other main gun folks love for 9mm is the CZ Evo, affordable, and the company seems to want to support folks SBRing them.

There is another Pistol Caliber forum under "Armory" which is more general vs this one being AR15 pistol cal's.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The hammer/trigger pin holes can egg out with high enough round count regardless of the caliber shot as they rotate.  The KNS pins do not rotate and in theory should not cause the trigger/hammer holes to egg out.  The only difference with a MG is that you can get to a higher round count much quicker than a non-MG...

No disrespect, but the guy you talked to doesn't sound like much of an industry expert if the above is what he told you.

It don't think it is uncommon for a RR to need repair or have been repaired.  This is why folks like M60Joe offer the repair services they do.

If you just have a bunch of 9mm ammo and a suppressor that you want to shoot, you can pretty much buy anything 9mm.  Doesn't even have to be a 9mm AR...
View Quote

He actually did not mention specific damage aka rounding holes.  I added that.  He simply said many M16 lowers become damaged from conversion to 9mm.  My addition should not be a reduction in his value as an expert in the field.  I am familiar with KNS but did not ask him if that changed the game.

Frankly, I am considering buying a suppressor for the M16 since the shop I visited to look at carbines/SBRs told me I don't have to run a lot of errands. They can do it all right there.  Score.  And hey, maybe the new bill passes and I can get one without the wait.  I also have a lot of 223 ammo I need to expend or sell so no loss.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

He actually did not mention specific damage aka rounding holes.  I added that.  He simply said many M16 lowers become damaged from conversion to 9mm.  My addition should not be a reduction in his value as an expert in the field.  I am familiar with KNS but did not ask him if that changed the game.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what to make of this, but you've really got my curiousity piqued.  Any idea at all what this non-specific damage is that happens to many M16 lowers from running a 9mm upper?  And, it's something other than broken hammer pins or egged out trigger/hammer pin holes?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#25]
No idea.  He may have been referred to the egged out holes.  I don't know.

But the guy has a solid reputation on Subguns.com as a recommended dealer and he is the Colt distributor for the area.  Not a neophyte and no reason to blow smoke up my ass.  Won't even sell me anything as he doesn't sell direct.  

I used to have a registered receiver I converted using as Hahn block and suppressed upper.  I know it can be done.  So no I don't know what he was referring to and won't press him on it since I decided not to.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Reelserious.....that is the exact set up I have wanted....flippin awesome
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top