Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2017 10:40:56 PM EDT
I ordered a PSA 9mm Glock complete lower and now am lookin gat uppers.  PSA is out of stock but I perhaps am interested in other uppers but to the options of hand guards and am wondering about PSA's 2 section bolt, vs the one piece others sell, what design may be better?

What can you tell me of the pros and cons of ordering a complete upper from another company and using it with the PSA lower.  I am new to 9mm AR's so even the simplest info is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You can successfully put together any of a large number of parts to make a 9 mm upper.  The 9 mm upper I have is now an aggregation of a NoDakSpud NDS-32 upper (retro top cocking) receiver with a short ejection port door and gas deflector and A1 rear sight in the carry handle; Colt 16" barrel with standard front sight base and thread protector on the muzzle; a single feed magazine compatible BCG; and a cheapo two-piece quad rail handguard.  I use it with any of several standard AR-15 lowers in connection with a VM-Hytech adapter and unmodified Uzi magazines including a Vector 68 round drum; and with a PSA 9 mm Glock magazine billet lower.  Others will likely add their input, and there's a thread here somewhere with many photos of 9 mm builds.

Best of luck with your project.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I personally would stick with the traditional/colt bolt design.  Some bolts come already machined for Glock mag compatibility (Spinta, I think RRA, and others).  If you get one that isn't Glock mag compatible, it can be machined after the fact.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have any experience with Mid State Firearms, I am looking at one of their complete uppers.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can successfully put together any of a large number of parts to make a 9 mm upper.  The 9 mm upper I have is now an aggregation of a NoDakSpud NDS-32 upper (retro top cocking) receiver with a short ejection port door and gas deflector and A1 rear sight in the carry handle; Colt 16" barrel with standard front sight base and thread protector on the muzzle; a single feed magazine compatible BCG; and a cheapo two-piece quad rail handguard.  I use it with any of several standard AR-15 lowers in connection with a VM-Hytech adapter and unmodified Uzi magazines including a Vector 68 round drum; and with a PSA 9 mm Glock magazine billet lower.  Others will likely add their input, and there's a thread here somewhere with many photos of 9 mm builds.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote
That sounds pretty nifty.

Pics?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I visited your websight but could only find 45 cal items, where might I see your 9mm offerings and prices?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Pics?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Pics?

Thank you for the compliment.. I don't have any pics.  In any case, the retro upper does have the advantages of a slickside upper with the inverted "trigger" that provides ambidextrous cocking and the ability to perform forward assist functioning.  On the downside, adding an optical sight would involve more trouble than I care to endure for a gun that I only use as a range toy.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top