Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2017 12:53:26 PM EDT
Haven't really kept up with guns the last few years and my searches aren't turning up what I want to know it seems.  At least I'm not finding any info that isn't 3+ years old.

I built a dedicated .22 SBR several years ago and never picked up a bolt.  I'm using a taccom barrel and collar.  

I want to use 15-22 mags with a redi-mag adapter because I already have a bunch of those mags.  

Should I go with CMMG or Taccom?  I know w/ Taccom you need to modify the adapter.  Will the CMMG bolt just drop in or are there other things I'd have to do with it too?  Both bolts seem to have good reviews as far as reliability goes.  

If Taccom is the one recommended is there some kind of diagram that shows the modifications that need to be made?  Don't see it on Taccom's website, nor do they sell the already modified adapters anymore.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I started with a Taccom bolt with the Taccom barrel and collar with the intention of using the Better Mag adapter and S&W 15-22 Magazines.  I found a picture of the modification to the adapter and asked the Mad-Machinist to cut it for me, which he did.  Unfortunately, I could not make it work reliably (the bolt would fail to go into battery occasionally - it was like a sixteenth OOB).  I gave up with trying to file and fit the adapter and bought a CMMG bolt.  The CMMG bolt with the Taccom barrel and collar has been 100% ever since.  I would highly recommend that you go with the CMMG bolt (CMMG Bolt group, .22LR, No Magazine 22BA487
2CM-BCG-22BA487)
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  So which mags are you using then?

Nvm - I think you're just using the CMMG bolt with the adapter and 15-22 mags, correct?  

I read it as you changed bolts and started using different mags too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought another Better Mag adapter (trashed the other one that was modified) and am using the S&W 15-22 magazines (25 rounds and 10 rounds).  It's all working perfectly now.  Spent way more time and money starting with the Taccom bolt, so I hope others learn from my mistakes.  The Taccom bolt is great, don't get me wrong. but I just couldn't make it work with the Better Mag adapter.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with the CMMg barrel, collar and bolt.  I am also using the Better Mag Adapter
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I definitely want to have to do as little tweaking as possible.  I assume there will already be a little since it's 22 and i'm using an adapter but I'd like to keep it at a minimum.  Look like the CMMG bolt is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
On this subject, does the hive still recommend adding the whole Tacom reliabilty kit to the CMMG bolt now or just the pressure plugs?
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I've already got the reliability kit so I'd like to know the answer to that too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Well... Since I have a perfectly good Taccom bolt that comes with the reliability kit parts already installed, my plan is to use the CMMG bolt until something breaks, and then swap out the parts as needed.  Since this is ARFCOM, I'm sure I'll get a lot of push back from the "hive".  Y'all will tell me, "Hell, boy, you got the beginnings of another rifle, right there!  Might as well put it to good use".
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#9]
My CMMG Bravo has been flawless with my TACCOM barrel/collar and Redi-mag adapter with S&W 10 and 25 round mags.  That 17" TACCOM barrel is spooky accurate with CCI SV too, it makes for a great suppressed weapon.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#10]
     I used a Taccom barrel and CMMG bolt, Black Dog mags. I bought a Reliability Package of some sort from Taccom but never installed any of those parts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:23:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys.  Found the bolt on sale at Optics Planet so I've got that and the adapter on the way.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top