Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2017 8:11:19 PM EDT
I started this project last year with the thought that a gas operated 9mm should be a smoother ride than the clunky blowback bolts, but is obviously a challenge. I reload 9mm major for USPSA, so ammo isn't a concern. I am currently running 7.0 of WAC with a 115 jhp. My first try had the gas system about 1.25" farther forward than it is in the pics below. It was decent, but the gun cycled too slow compared to blowback rifles. As a match gun it must be able to cycle quickly. I then started doing some more thinking and some research. That led me here with some past threads found through Google searches.

I've shortened the gas system about as much as I can figure how to do it. I'm getting plenty of gas and the gun runs fine, but still a couple of feed issues. I'm thinking I need to cut a ramp at the bottom of the barrel extension to smooth that out. Another problem is some cases aren't ejecting 100% and getting caught. I might need to open the bolt up a bit more as I just used a .223 bolt and opened it a little. Never knew about using a 5.45 bolt until a few days ago reading on here. Another problem is that using a Glock mag lower and the mag keeps getting sucked up into the upper and jams the bolt. I may need to glue a stop collar or something onto the mag to hold it in place. Any suggestions on this? I had to cut (grind) the bottom of the bolt carrier body and bottom 2 locking lugs to clear the Glock magazine feed lips. Anything I'm missing here?

shorty gas system. I turned the area for the gas block kind of an elliptical from the barrel to avoid severe bends in the gas tube.

Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I already have another bolt to use, so that's in the works. No doubt I went a bit far with those in the pic. My next issue is feeding from a Glock mag. I'd like to not cut on the locking lugs at all, but they won't clear the feed lips without thinning them down. If nothing else I may have to try it with a Colt mag adapter lower. I did find that a new PSA lower I had in the cabinet has a little tab to prevent the mag from being over inserted, so that issue is easily remedied.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I am thinking that I may have to abandon the Glock magazines for now. Seems to be a little bit of a challenge with trimming the bolt locking lugs and I am thinking the colt mags might be an easier solution. Looks like I will need to trim the ears on the magazine block to clear the bolt carrier group, though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Neat project.  I wish these were feasible with factory ammo.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Where the heck did you even find a 9mm barrel with a star chamber?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:49:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where the heck did you even find a 9mm barrel with a star chamber?
View Quote

It's a standard barrel extension like used on .556/.223 rifles. I just turned down and threaded a 9mm barrel to install it.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top