Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2017 5:32:01 AM EDT
I'm sure someone has, but didn't find much info on the web when searching.  I have decided I have no desire to shoot Limited any time in the near future and have a bunch of .40 ammo loaded ahead to burn up, so talked myself into putting one together.  I used a New Frontier Armory bolt and Kaw Valley barrel from Joe Bob's on a lower that takes Glock mags. I had some feeding issues I'm thinking related to the bolt, so had to get that worked out. Seems like the longer and fatter case makes things more critical to be just right. Another problem is that Glock .40 mags swell enough when fully loaded to be a bit too tight in both style lowers I have. It's not just a couple of mags either as I have some brand new ones and all are tight.  I have one lower from Joe Bob's and one from PSA. They are both a bit different, but the PSA has a slightly larger opening on the magazine well. I'm thinking it is going to need opened up just a little more, though. I do have a muzzle brake on it and recoil is not much different from the 9mm rifles I have.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested in this as well. PSA says they have no plans to make a .40 upper and will only guaranty their upper and lower.  Lone Wolf looks good but too expensive for my budget.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.  The RRA LAR-40.  Complete rifles and upper halves.
Steve/RRA
View Quote

I run the K40 from oly. No complaints. Have it on an sbr and has been used on a rr.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Let me guess.....round gets part of the way into the chamber and hangs...????
If so I can help.....
View Quote

Yep, that was it. I'm pretty sure I got it handled, but feel free to throw your wisdom out here. I opened up the feed ramp of the Kaw Valley barrel a little, but the real problem I'm thinking was the NFA bolt. The bottom finger of the bolt face that pushes rounds out of the magazine needed to be shortened about .1 of an inch.
I compared everything to my 9mm and that was the most logical piece for me to work on figuring the .40 case is about that much longer than a 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes.  The RRA LAR-40.  Complete rifles and upper halves.
Steve/RRA
View Quote

What mags are you using?  I didn't see them on the website.  How many rounds do they hold and how much are they?
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#8]
QC10 lower with their barrel and bolt.  It has run 100% from the first round.  Using Glock magazines.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Proprietary straight 20s and 30s.  $55 MSRP.
Steve/RRA
View Quote

Wow, the email I just got  a few days ago from Amy saind yout Proprietary LAR-40 mags were $70 for the 20 rounders and no mention of the 30s.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I think I'm on the right track. I just found some info RRA published on the evolution of their .40 bolts. Looks like they started with a longer piece at the bottom they call the "boss" and the new ones have the boss removed. https://www.rockriverarms.com/images/pdfs/RRA_940Conv.pdf

That got me curious, so did some more digging and found QC10 does the same thing. They have a boss that extends to the front of the 9mm bolt, but is all, but removed on the .40 and .45 bolts.

I contacted NFA about the .40 bolts and they said they have thousands of them out there and never a problem. Oh well. I think my problem got solved, so hopefully posting this info may help any others in the same situation.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Like this you mean:
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#13]

That's what I want.  Tell us about it.  How are the ETS mags?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's what I want.  Tell us about it.  How are the ETS mags?
View Quote

Non standard AR parts are a Quarter Circle 10 lower, bolt, and barrel. Everything else is just standard AR parts. I haven't got to try the ETS mags yet, probably next week. It doesn't like low power ammo, but other than that it has been malfunction free. DannerTrax
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Non standard AR parts are a Quarter Circle 10 lower, bolt, and barrel. Everything else is just standard AR parts. I haven't got to try the ETS mags yet, probably next week. It doesn't like low power ammo, but other than that it has been malfunction free. DannerTrax
View Quote

That looks exactly the way I want.  What's the amount invested, if you don't mind?

Also, please post your results with the mags.  I bought four that have had issues.  ETS is working to resolve it so I don't want to ridicule.  They seem like good folks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That looks exactly the way I want.  What's the amount invested, if you don't mind?

Also, please post your results with the mags.  I bought four that have had issues.  ETS is working to resolve it so I don't want to ridicule.  They seem like good folks.
View Quote

I forgot I also had to bore out the A2 flash hider with my Dremel, I widened it till I could fit a .40 casing through. I don't remember the cost of the build. But when I build it QC10 was the only soruce for .40 bolts and barrels so it cost a bit extra. DannerTrax
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#17]
So far my .40 suppressed DDLES build has been the biggest let down and waste of money in my gun safe.

Extraction issues
Ejection issues
Feed issues

The thing has never run correctly.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Here are a couple of pics of how my bolt is now

Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I just bought a Hi-Point.  Heck of a gun for the money.  I smoothed up the trigger, replaced the plastic rail with an aluminum one and put a C-More on it.  Shoots well enough I am going to use it for Steel Challenge.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Good to know, cus that the malfunction I get with the less powerful ammo I shoot. DannerTrax
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:28:11 AM EDT
[#21]
K40-GL - Pistol Cal 40 S&W, Glock Lower

Got one and haven't had an issue yet. But that ejector spring set-up sure looks funky! Controls are a little rough but can't say much else but it shoots good.

Brad
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I love my rra 9mm and .40, but I have been waiting a very long time for rra to release small capacity mags.  I have been on the rra .40 since their first announcement that they were making the carbine
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Rudy at Macon Armory build this one for me a couple years ago.  It is built with a DDLES lower.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top