Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/5/2016 10:15:58 PM EDT
Specifically I'm wondering about the collar installation.
So I guess the barrel is just like installing a regular AR barrel but is the collar then installed from inside the receiver? What holds the collar in place? Is it a semi permanent install? I've never looked at one up close.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The collar stays on the carrier.

It's comes in and out with enough pressure. You push it in to lock it and you pull the charging handle all they way back and it pops out (with some force behind it, so be sure to hold it down as it pops out).
View Quote

Thanks for clearing that up. I somehow envisioned it being attached to the barrel inside the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Top is a conversion kit bolt bottom is a dedicated upper bolt

The bolt sitting on top of the barreled upper
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
not as clear a pic as Mr Hills above, but as commented the rail is separated slightly at the front, so the collar can replace the chamber insert... the collar contains the feed ramp, and when the bolt assembly is inserted into the upper, the collar is pushed over the barrel stub, and a small detent holds the collar in place( groove) and remains there when the bolt reciprocates

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:29:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all of you. A good picture is worth a thousand words!
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:05:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had a few drinks but I'll try to espane a little more
sliding the bolt and carrier in over the barrel...nipple

The bolt carrier is in place

When fired the carrier blows back but the collar stays in place. I'm pulling the carrier back with my finger

again outside of the upper

Any questions fire away we will answer what we can
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone, my next build is going to be a pistol lower with a 300BO 9"upper and a 22LR 9" Pistol upper. I'm so stoked.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest using SW15-22 magazines and a Boonie Packer Better Mag Adapter... a little pricey, but saved me a lot of head aches...when you use the SW magazines, pull the follower down just enough to insert one cartridge at a time, that way the bullet noses will alternate...I have a 9 1/2" .22lr upper for my SBR...would recommend some form of home made flash can to keep your fingers away from the muzzle (I shoot mine in a run and gun carbine match)... I make my flash cans from a piece of 1" aluminum round stock...center drill for 1/2-28 thread and then remove the rest with a 7/8" bit
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone, my next build is going to be a pistol lower with a 300BO 9"upper and a 22LR 9" Pistol upper. I'm so stoked.
View Quote

Sounds like an excellent plan. AR22s are so much fun and much cheaper than centerfire.  If you plan on suppressing the 22, I would suggest a 4" or 4.5"  barrel. This way your overall length would stay similar to your 300 upper.  As I said, shooting AR22s are fun, but shooting them suppressed is off the charts!

Good luck with your builds.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would suggest using SW15-22 magazines and a Boonie Packer Better Mag Adapter... a little pricey, but saved me a lot of head aches...when you use the SW magazines, pull the follower down just enough to insert one cartridge at a time, that way the bullet noses will alternate...I have a 9 1/2" .22lr upper for my SBR...would recommend some form of home made flash can to keep your fingers away from the muzzle (I shoot mine in a run and gun carbine match)... I make my flash cans from a piece of 1" aluminum round stock...center drill for 1/2-28 thread and then remove the rest with a 7/8" bit
View Quote

Good advice here. My little rig comes with me to every range trip and is the gateway drug to my friends getting into NFA items.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice Outrider...
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Good advice. To make it even better get a McFadden lightnin loader with the M&P 15 adapter Lightnin Loader . Makes loading fun. I've had one now for over a year and it works great.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good advice. To make it even better get a McFadden lightnin loader with the M&P 15 adapter Lightnin Loader . Makes loading fun. I've had one now for over a year and it works great.
View Quote

Thanks, yes I already plan to.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top