Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2016 12:12:07 PM EDT
Since the Hearing Protection Act seems like a possible success, I'm thinking about a 9mm carbine with an 8" or 10" barrel and a suppressor. What do the can fans here have to suggest for a suppressor?
I'd like to keep length down, but not by sacrificing suppression. I plan to use is it as a bedside home defense carbine.

Thanks for any advice!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I want a CZ Scorpion, I would probably take a MP5 if given the choice, but since the Scorpion is probably half the price, that's the route I will take.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a AAC TiRANT-9 which is a great suppressor as far as sound suppression goes, but it's quite long.  I have it on an SBR with a 4.5" Barrel, so overall the rifle is still quite compact with the suppressor tucked inside of a Samson 7.5" Keymod rail.

I have heard good things about the Griffin Armament Revolution 9 suppressor, in that you can configure it in the K length (about 1.5" shorter than my TiRANT) and not sacrifice a lot of sound suppression (128.3db - K vs.125.2db - long vs. TiRANT-9 124.1db ).  I think that suppressor has limited mounting options on an AR, though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it going to be a PCC can only or do you have desires to use it on a pistol as well?

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I would go with dedicated sub gun can if you want quiet and don't plan to shoot same can on pistols.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my Osprey .45 on my 8.5" AR-9.

Very minimal blowback.

If I could buy one now, it would probably be the Obsidian.
View Quote

+1 to this.  My Osprey 45 worked extremely well on my AR9, but has relocated to my AR45.  The AR9 now uses an Osprey 9.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I did something a little different with my last 9mm sbr build and I did the the wraith 45 suppressor. It's a sub gun suppressor and wider/ longer than other suppressors but I like it. It clicks on and off easy with the the QD mount and it's light.      
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Omega 9k. My buddy has one on his Scorpion and we've run it on my AR9...does great and you can't beat the size. I own an Obsidian and love that on my AR9 as well, but it's definitely longer, even in the K configuration.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Since the Hearing Protection Act seems like a possible success, I'm thinking about a 9mm carbine with an 8" or 10" barrel and a suppressor. What do the can fans here have to suggest for a suppressor?
I'd like to keep length down, but not by sacrificing suppression. I plan to use is it as a bedside home defense carbine.

Thanks for any advice!
View Quote

I am waiting on this to come out of NFA jail.  The D3-9SD is freaking awesome.  By far the quietest 9mm can I found.  Here is a link to their facebook.  The also have a website you can get to through Fox Brav.  James is a great dude to work with and the integral suppressor setup is pretty awesome.

ETA:  Fix name of the suppressor
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're looking at this with the Hearing Protection Act in mind, then nobody knows what awesome new cans are going to get invented when that happens and you should cross that bridge when we get to it
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am waiting on this to come out of NFA jail.  The D3-9SD is freaking awesome.  By far the quietest 9mm can I found.  Here is a link to their facebook.  The also have a website you can get to through Fox Brav.  James is a great dude to work with and the integral suppressor setup is pretty awesome.

ETA:  Fix name of the suppressor
View Quote

That ported barrel and suppressor combo has always interested me. I would love to hear one in person. I've always been a fan of the MP5SD and it would be great to be able to use 115 grain ammo and shoot subsonic.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That ported barrel and suppressor combo has always interested me. I would love to hear one in person. I've always been a fan of the MP5SD and it would be great to be able to use 115 grain ammo and shoot subsonic.
View Quote

I had the exact same thoughts as you, and just got lucky that I went out to AZ for work.  So I made it a point to meet up with James on a Sunday and shoot.  I got lucky that Fred Mastison from Force Options USA was also doing a demo shoot in run up to an article he was writing.  Since I obviously can't shoot it for you, all I can say is Wow!  I was completely taken aback at how quiet it was.  Even Fred said that it was the quietest he'd heard.  I know that's very antecdotal, but seriously it was awesome and I immediately bought a complete upper from them.  Shooting it at my dealer next my friends' MP-5SD, we agreed in a completely non-scientific way that my D3-9SD was slightly quieter than his SD with bot 115 and 147 grain.  It takes your 115 grain to subsonic-ish.  

Anyway, I can't speak highly enough of it, and hate that I can only play with it during my conjugal visits to NFA Jail.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the SilencerCo Octane 45 HD with an additional 9mm end cap and an Omega 9k.   Perfomance is similar.    Omega 9k is a little fatter and almost half the length.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top