Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2016 3:03:25 PM EDT
I want to build a 22 upper. I know ppl like 4" barrels bc it keeps bulk ammo subsonic.

I want to have a subsonic gun that cycles reliably but I want a 9" barrel because I want to be able to screw the silencer on or off.

So will subsonic ammo cycle the bolt?

Is there anything else I'm missing?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want to build a 22 upper. I know ppl like 4" barrels bc it keeps bulk ammo subsonic.

I want to have a subsonic gun that cycles reliably but I want a 9" barrel because I want to be able to screw the silencer on or off.

View Quote

Personally, I like the 4.5 barrel for it's compactness and only shoot 22 CCI SV or Gemtech subs.  When/if I remove my Spectre II, I use a DPMS 5.5" flash hider to keep the muzzle outside the hand guard.  

My TacSol 9" Kestrel works with the same subsonic ammo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Personally, I like the 4.5 barrel for it's compactness and only shoot 22 CCI SV or Gemtech subs.  When/if I remove my Spectre II, I use a DPMS 5.5" flash hider to keep the muzzle outside the hand guard.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're Kestrel cycles just fine with subsonic ammo?

Do u run it supressed? Does it stay subsonic or does it ever go transonic?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Almost 99.9% of my 22lr shooting is suppressed. The Kestrel suppressed performed just as quietly as our 4.5" CMMG SBRs with the CCI SV and Gemtech subs. I don't have a chrono, but have never heard any rounds "crack."
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a CMMG dedicated 9" .22LR barrel and bolt kit in a standard upper and a freefloat handguard.  I shoot it exclusively suppressed with a Bowers Paradigm and it will do about 1" ten shot groups at 25 yards.  With bulk ammo, most is super sonic.  With subsonic, I've had 1 round break the sound barrier.  Out of I think 7 subsonic ammo types, two won't cycle reliably.  I don't remember which two, I bought 1 or 2 boxes of every type I could find locally and tried them all for accuracy mainly before I settled on one my gun liked a bit better than others.  But really, most were about the same for accuracy, even the bulk pack stuff.  Everything other than those two types works great.

It is one of my funnest guns and is accurate enough for me and shoots much better than my 10/22.

I personally like the overall size with the 9" barrel.

Here's a link to an album:
https://goo.gl/photos/Mo9hjqxH9QWPARm68

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a 7" barrel under a 9" handguard.  I simply add a 5.5" flash hider when not shooting with my can.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
You can also run a 4.5" barrel and fake can when you want to run minus suppressor.  Works great too and is subsonic when you want to run your can.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top