Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/8/2016 3:01:29 PM EDT
I needed to re-up some Wolf Gold .223.  A case is about $300-315 (ish) shipped.  I've gotten it as cheap as $285 shipped.  Regardless, I figured I'd look into the CMMG Bravo kit.

Brownells had it as cheap as I could possibly find - $169.99 + $7.95 shipping for a total of $177.94.

I can get boxes of Federal Automatch 325rd for $18.99 at my gun range, so I figure $178 for the kit + $19/box .22lr x 3 boxes = $235.  I just saved myself $65 to $80 bucks, compared to the 1000 rounds of Wolf I was about to spend!  And now I've got something I've been wanting a while.

I'm not even good at math, but that seems like a deal to me!

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
My conversion and dedicated 22 ARs do NOt like the federal automatch.  But I think you'll be glad you got the conversion anyway.  I like mine.  Glad I decided not to sell it right after I built a dedicated rig.  The conversion still gets a lot of action.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My conversion and dedicated 22 ARs do NOt like the federal automatch.  But I think you'll be glad you got the conversion anyway.  I like mine.  Glad I decided not to sell it right after I built a dedicated rig.  The conversion still gets a lot of action.
View Quote

You're the second guy who mentioned that. It makes my Mossberg 715T jam fairly regularly, but I didn't attribute it to ammo until someone else reported the same issue and had it fixed by using CCI Mini-Mag.  I think I'm going to try more "quality ammo" so to speak, even if it's a bit more.

Good to hear about your experience. I've got several ARs with different configs, so I think this will be fun to use in them all.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I worked with these from the start.
We always recommended a copper wash ammo.
Bare lead or coating will gum the action up quickly.

Dave N
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Odd man out... my CMMG parkerized dedicated upper runs pretty well on the Fed Auto Match... but I do use SW 15-22 mags with Boonie Packer better mag adapter... take your time to insert each cartridge individually (don't pull the follower down and drop multiple cartridges) and move the follower just enough to insert the cartridge... the nose of the cartridges will alternate as they stack in the magazine
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We always recommended a copper was ammo.

Dave N
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
We always recommended a copper was ammo.

Dave N

Thanks - I think it'll do that.

Quoted:
Odd man out... my CMMG parkerized dedicated upper runs pretty well on the Fed Auto Match... but I do use SW 15-22 mags with Boonie Packer better mag adapter... take your time to insert each cartridge individually (don't pull the follower down and drop multiple cartridges) and move the follower just enough to insert the cartridge... the nose of the cartridges will alternate as they stack in the magazine

Link Posted: 11/10/2016 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=52
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=52
View Quote

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Redi Mag and S & W mags work great.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Redi Mag and S & W mags work great.
View Quote

So S&W 15-22 mags work, too?  Looks like Lucky Gunner has the CMMG mags for $12, but the cheapest S&W mags I can find are about a buck or two more.  Not sure if one is better than the other.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Redi mags work great with the CMMG bolt, but if in the futture you decide to use a TACCOM bolt the redi mag won't work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
So it arrived and I FINALLY got to shoot it.  Or, well, my daughter did in my 10.5" SBR.  The thing shot like a dream.  No feeding/extracting issues.  Just dirty as heck after 100 rounds.  Nothing a cloth didn't wipe off though.  I used American Eagle 38 grain Copper-plated HP.  It was the cheapest Copper I could find at the time.  Finished off with 30 rounds of .223 to clear the barrel.  First time my daughter shot either and she smiled ear to ear the entire drive home.  So glad I got it!
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Do the CMMG mags seem g2g?  Thinking about getting the 3 mag variant for $185
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do the CMMG mags seem g2g?  Thinking about getting the 3 mag variant for $185
View Quote

Yeah, it's really solid and well made.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:21:47 AM EDT
[#14]
https://www.cdnnsports.com/cmmg-ceiner-kel-sig522-22.html?___SID=U

Not the sexiest but cheap and run flawless.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 3:36:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh man........Wish I had seen that before ordering the Better Mag Kit and a few S&W mags.

May just order a few of those anyway, can never really have enough magazines.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh man........Wish I had seen that before ordering the Better Mag Kit and a few S&W mags.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the worst part of shooting it - only having one mag and reloading every 30 seconds.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I started off with a conversion in a 5.56 barrel. It ate up everything the mag was loaded with. CCI mini mag, remington thunderbolt, federal automatch. Didnt care. I then SBRd it and went dedicated with a Taccom ULW Carbon barrel. Still eats everything I load it with. I guess Im an odd man out as well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I started off with a conversion in a 5.56 barrel. It ate up everything the mag was loaded with. CCI mini mag, remington thunderbolt, federal automatch. Didnt care. I then SBRd it and went dedicated with a Taccom ULW Carbon barrel. Still eats everything I load it with. I guess Im an odd man out as well.
View Quote

We shot exclusively in my 10.5" SBR with AE 38 grain CP without issue, but I'm looking forward to trying it in my 7.5" SBR, which is just a fun gun to shoot.  I'm also going to try some Federal Automatch standard plinking ammo as well.  I like the idea of using copper plated stuff in my nicer barrels, though.  Maybe I'll use the cheap crap in my old DPMS $500 AR.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top