Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2016 7:24:03 PM EDT
As I related in another thread, ordered an S&W M&P 15-22 Sport from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore.  Actually, I bought two. One for me and one for my daughter, an early Christmas present.   They arrived at my FFL in a couple days.  Whoo-hoo.

First thought is that Picatinny rails are the creation of the devil.   I managed to cut my finger on one of the many thousands of sharp corners that those things have.  Of course that cut is right where my finger bends so everything that I do today hurts.  

Second thought is compared to my Colt HBAR those things are featherweights.  Only 4.75 pounds without the mag.  

So Sunday morning, we got up and cleaned the new rifles.  Yes, I made my daughter clean her own gun.  Cleaned and lubed.

Big surprise, there's no front sling swivel.  I wanted to put slings on the guns but couldn't do it.   An official Magpul MLok sling swivel and base runs about $40.  Google found me another branded set for $16.  We'll see what those are like.

Then we headed to the outdoor range.   Went through about 300 rounds apiece before the young one started to get tired.  Had one failure to feed and a couple clicks with no bang.   After I got it sighted in, I was shooting at a 50 ft bullseye pistol target from about forty yards and keeping everything (mostly) in the black.   After I get a proper sling mounted and maybe a red dot sight, things will get better.  

All in all, a good time was had by all.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Fun guns for sure.
I'm sorry you hurt your finger, maybe a antibiotic smiley face would help?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have those rubber ladder type rail covers for my 15-22s, not sure if they would work on the new hand guards?
Can you use some fine sandpaper to knock down the sharp edges?

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought some cheap rubber rail guard sections for mine off an airsoft website.  Sometimes you can find the same exact accessories from airsoft retailers for much less money than from firearms accessory retailers.  Mine might have been made by UTG.  Anyway, I've got no issues with sharp edges.  They are VERY comfortable to grip and they look cool, too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had one for a while now.
Was told they were picky on ammo.
We have never had an issue cycling anything, even subs.
I try to shoot it AFTER handling the normal ARs since shooting it before makes the normal ARs seem much heavier.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are examples:

Rail Guards

I can't find the ones I bought years ago, but if you look a bit, you can find something that will work well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Think I have some of those UTG rubber covers in my parts box. They are comfortable, but ugly imo.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Rubber ladder rail guards work nice.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Already ordered rail guards. Eight for $7.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes ladder covers.

Awesome carbines. My daughter and I love ours. Congrats.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the Larue index clips to smooth out the rail better than the ladder covers. I believe they are on sale for $15 on larue's website.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top