Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2016 6:41:47 PM EDT
I have an OEM Colt conversion kit that I've only tried out one time.  Does anyone happen to know which .22LR ammo brand/type shoot closest to the normal POI of the Colt Sporter HBAR upper?  (Not that I'll be likely to find a specific brand/type of .22LR very easily!)

Thanks for any suggestions,
Bob
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
For close range at 25 yards or less the 22 LR will still strike low just like centerfire 223/5.56.  When I used the 22 conversion the point of impact was close enough out to 50 yards for shooting steel plates.   I used a 100 yard zero for my 223/5.56 but for my dedicated 22 LR AR-15's I use a 50 yard zero.  A Friend used to shoot a lot of 22's in his Colt H-Bar with 1:9 twist.  He'd just raise his rear sight to hit at point of aim at 25 yards with 22 rimfire and just dialed it back to 3/6 setting for his 223/5.56 ammo.

I have had good luck with High Velocity 36-40 grain ammo, Federal 36 grain bulk, Aguilla 40 grain plated SE and CCI Mini Mags.  I don't use my Colt conversion much these days because I have several dedicated 22 AR-15's.   As with most 22 rimfires reliability may vary between brands of ammo or even a particulr lot/batch.  It is best to try a what is available and see how they shoot.  I usually prefer plated 22 LR with 22 conversions to help limit lead build up on flash hiders or in the gas system.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top