Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2016 7:47:28 PM EDT
My 9 mm AR's accuracy is shooting around 5" group at 50 yards. My Ar is a cmmg with a 16" barrel. I tried several different brands ammo and nothing seemed to group better than this. I would like to shoot 3 gun with it but I need it to group a lot better than this. Does anybody have any suggested ammo to try or is it the barrel or something else?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm having the same issues with my recent build. I've tried all types of loads. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Faxon barrel.
I'm not expecting much more than 3" groups, but the 5-6" doesn't work for me.
147 gr JHP shoot the best but they cost too much.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the same problems. Very inconsistent. I can keep it around a 3-4" pattern but there's always a flier or 2 for just about every mag... and that's only a 10 rounder! (yeah... Kalifornia)

I am shooting round nose FMJ. Blazer, PMC, Magtech...  I'm a decent shot too. No marksman, but can usually hold my own.

I guess I take into consideration how fun these are to shoot and the fact that, with that grouping, I will definitely hit center mass. After all, it is a big wobbly pistol round!

If there is a zombie apocalypse, I'll reach for the .223 to make head shots!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We can easily beat those expectations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm having the same issues with my recent build. I've tried all types of loads. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Faxon barrel.
I'm not expecting much more than 3" groups, but the 5-6" doesn't work for me.
147 gr JHP shoot the best but they cost too much.

We can easily beat those expectations.

I might just be taking you up on this
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
CALL CMMG??
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Eric

Tell us more about the gun.

Open sights or optics red dot or scope (check mounting fasteners)

Check barrel for nicks on crown

Check diameter of barrel grooves should be around .355

Is barrel nut tight

How are u shooting, from a rest or free hand is the barrel touching the hand guard or your rest

I have a green mountain barrel that shoots under 2" at 50 without really trying that hard.

You should expect similar results
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Headspacing, leade into rifling, muzzle crown,, does it have what look like somebody cram countersink in end of barrel.. or faced off square ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you shooting magnified optics, irons, red-dots?
my JP Barrel/Bolt shoots 3 inch at 50 with a 3MOA vortex Sparc and will reliably hit a 12 inch plate at 100
shooting some first time reloads 115 and 124 grains
didn't really try for sniper accuracy and I'm sure I could do better with a optic but thats not what Im going for
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#11]
The trigger makes a big difference with an AR15.

I would expect 2 inch groups a 50 yards.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#12]
just got back from the range... with Win Ranger Lawman 147 flat point... my 16" (unknown manufacturer from MAS Defense) went 5 shots into 2" edge to edge... three of which went 1"...no pictures but I'm not lying ... Vortex Spitfire 1x with factory trigger... shooting at a blue tape "T"... the Spitfire has a very small center dot and I had to illuminate to see it at that distance... my 147 hand loads went 3 1/2" with one called flyer.. I'm impressed with the Spitfire as you can adjust the focus...
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Shooting an aim point red dot . I have tried a scope on it it did not get much better. I will tear apart the the upper and check it over. I can group an 1" or less with my 22lr ar-15 conversion with the right ammo and the red dot. It seems like it is the ammo or the upper.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I will say my JPNC22 upper easily shoots 1/2 to 3/4 @ 50 yards
I might have to scope mine just to see what it can shoot
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top