Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2016 1:37:00 PM EDT
I just completed my first and maybe only ramp job on a Colt 9MM F/A Bolt. It had no ramping prior. It is a short length ramp, with a slight curve. I will be testing it this weekend in my Colt SMG. Comments, thoughts? I kept the ramp shorter in order to minimize the reduction in weight, with material removed. I did not want the rate of fire to go too high.
" />
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
2.5 to 5 degrees angle and .125" depth at the leading edge about 1 1/4" long.

2.5 for FA

5 for SA.

Shallower the angle the longer it takes to reset the trigger.

Best wishes on your test fire.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind that a 9mm bolt does not move nearly as far as a standard bolt carrier, so the angle of the ramp needs to be much steeper.

Other than the curve that looks like a similar depth of cut as how the more recent factory Colts are done.

The lip at the front of your cut might be an issue.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone have a pic of a current Colt design ramped bolt?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind that a 9mm bolt does not move nearly as far as a standard bolt carrier, so the angle of the ramp needs to be much steeper.

Other than the curve that looks like a similar depth of cut as how the more recent factory Colts are done.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a thread link to a 9mm DIY ramp cut with picture over on m4carbine.net

. 9mm DIY ramp
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I will most likely be making this same modification.
Keep us posted.  Hope it works!
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Ramp topic from way back

If you desire to run 9mm,,, AR or M16,,, look inside at trigger for marks where tail of hammer may be hitting... I suspect the hammer is being wedged and ending up with oval hammer pin holes..

Take and remove tail off hammer a fair amount with AR-15,, but with M16, you can only take a small amount off before you get into backside of auto sear shelf (lug)..

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I just came back from a weekend of testing my own ramped bolt from my first post here. I test fired through my Colt DOE configured SMG. It worked fantastic! The rate of fire is slightly higher than my other bolt as a reference (I think 750 to 780 rpm), and it feels much smoother with less bolt jarring / recoil. I detected no unusual wear pattern on the Hammer/Fire Control Group. I think raising the contact point of the bolt to hammer has really improved the bolt cycling, and the modest length ramp is just right.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top