Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2016 1:21:17 AM EDT
What's the good word on the PSA Glock lowers and PSA 9mm uppers? Thinking about doing a pistol build.

Any experiences?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:11:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What's the good word on the PSA Glock lowers and PSA 9mm uppers? Thinking about doing a pistol build.

Any experiences?
View Quote

I think your thread is surrounded by threads about them

They have the newer version lower with lrbho if that is something you want.

With the previous version lower, which is what I have, you would need an upper that has lrbho capabilities if that is what you want.

None of the current PSA uppers have that option so if it's important to you I would get the new version lower.

Eta: Do you already have glocks and flock mags?  If not the colt style mag lowers are worth a look
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
What I want is reliability.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Just out of curiosity, why are the colt-style lowers possibly better?    

I just put together my AR-9 with glock mag lower and I LOVE it. 7" barrel and the little thing hasn't hiccupped once.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just put together my AR-9 with glock mag lower and I LOVE it. 7" barrel and the little thing hasn't hiccupped once.
View Quote

I don't think there's really much difference between the two as far as reliability

If someone already has glock mags the glock mag lower makes sense

As far as the colt lowers, mags are cheap, lrbho usually isnt an issue and many people prefer the straight up/down look of the colt mags vs. the rearward slant of the glock mags
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:03:22 AM EDT
[#5]
My frankengun 9mm with a PSA complete non-BHO lower works just fine. I'm fine-tuning buffer and spring weights now to try and optimize its cycling but it functions 100%.

Only problem I had was, ironically (since I built it from lots of different parts manufacturers), the PSA trigger group. It was doubling and tripling the first time I took it to the range. Replaced the trigger, disconnector, and hammer (along with springs) with a Colt one I had lying around and it hasn't done that since... Also ironic is that the Colt hammer is notched, which is supposed to be bad for 9mm carbines. *Shrug* Whatever. I threw the PSA trigger assembly out, I don't want anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have DF mags (easily loaded by hand) and the LRBHO works all the time.

Other than the stupid BHO finger being slightly too long (5 minutes and a file to fix) and the ejector needing tuned mine has fired 1000 rounds or so flawlessly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the PSA 9mm AR Pistol, Works great with my 33rd Glock mags, I thought that not having LRBHO would be a problem, but, it really hasn't been. I may get the New Frontier Armory LRBHO upper, if they ever come back in stock, but I'm happy with what I've got. Fun to shoot, not a problem with over 500rds fired, If I get into a situation that after emptying a 33rd mag, not having LRBHO will be the least of my problems.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Some have had issues with the 9mm Glock bolt scraping and cutting into the ejector on the lower. A little filing of the back of the ejector helps smooth the action.
Not a major problem.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My frankengun 9mm with a PSA complete non-BHO lower works just fine. I'm fine-tuning buffer and spring weights now to try and optimize its cycling but it functions 100%.

Only problem I had was, ironically (since I built it from lots of different parts manufacturers), the PSA trigger group. It was doubling and tripling the first time I took it to the range. Replaced the trigger, disconnector, and hammer (along with springs) with a Colt one I had lying around and it hasn't done that since... Also ironic is that the Colt hammer is notched, which is supposed to be bad for 9mm carbines. *Shrug* Whatever. I threw the PSA trigger assembly out, I don't want anything to do with it.
View Quote

I never ran ammo through mine at the time but after building, when hand cycling, I was getting hammer follow using the Anderson lpk with the stainless speed style hammer, it was too short for the hybrid bolt to fully reset it. Threw in a standard notched hammer and it runs like a top, never a hick up. PSA upper, Glock no BHO lower and hybrid bolt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#10]
There are several threads in the PSA vendor forum where people are having issues.  My AR-9 is 100% from Palmetto State and it was having issues so it got sent in for them to correct.  Unfortunately, most people don't create a thread when they gun runs great.  So you can get an idea of which sort of issues you might expect but not a good idea of what percentage of their guns are having those issues.

Since I ordered mine a month or so ago and started paying attention to the AR-9 threads in that subforum, I've seen threads about broken extractors, multiple fire, and firing out of battery.  There's only 2 reviews on their website for the Glock lowers with LRBHO and both of those say the LRBHO broke after a few trips to the range.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought the 10.5" 9mm upper they had on sale for  $299 a couple of weeks ago.  I have a CMMG MK-9 lower that is SBR'ed.  I slapped it on and went to the range.  I had a couple of bobbles in the first 10 rounds, a misfeed, bolt not closing all the way,  but after that it ran perfectly.  It also fed the TC shaped Winchester Train & Defend 147 grain FMJ, so that was good news.

A couple of observations:

I don't much care for the bolt carrier group.  It worked fine, but it doesn't feel as solid as the  CMMG 9mm ramped bolt in my other 9mm upper.  Since I don't use Glock magazines, I don't even own a 9mm Glock at present, I will probably replace the BCG with a CMMG or RRA ramped BCG eventually.   For now though it does the job.

The lack of a gas deflector makes a much bigger difference than I expected. My other 9mm upper has it, this was my first time shooting a 9mm without it.  I got a fair amount of gas in the face and that was without the suppressor.  I finished the session with a big, sooty black mark on my right cheek.

Overall, especially for the price, I am pleased.   I don't think I would pay the "regular price" of $460 or so, but for  $300 it was a good deal.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top