Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2016 4:41:10 PM EDT
SOG has Chiappa .22 LR ARs for $330.  

Are they decent .22s?  Would I be better off buying an AR lower setup up and getting a different upper?

Can the lower from the Chiappa accept a regular .223 upper?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I would pass, the one 1 bought had plastic receivers , accuracy was horrible(the metal receivers I installed did not help), the bolt broke the second time at the range. Buy something better.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#2]
$50 more and you can buy a S&W 15-22 and can find factory mags for $14 or less.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Skip it.  if you want a 22 upper buy one complete from cmmg or taccom, or if you feel like building, buy the components from them.  Don't even consider the chiappa.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  I'll hang onto my money for now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I am one of the lucky ones that got a Chiappa that actually works and shoots good. Mine functions great (with ammunition it likes) and is very accurate. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought something else. I ended up replacing the plastic upper receiver with an aluminum one.  I bought just the upper and have it on a NFA polymer lower.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I know I'm in the minority here, but I love my Chiappa 22lr upper.   It took some "tuning", a buff, and a polish but she now runs like a sewing machine.  Mounted it on a poly lower and what a fun little light rifle
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the upper and swapped everything out to aluminum mil spec parts and put it on a lower. It did take some polishing and shaving the back of the bolt to get everything running right but now its a fun gun I can shoot in the backyard. If they sold the bolt and barrel separate it might not be a bad base if it was in the $150 range.  If I know it would cost so much in the end I would have taken a different route.

(Edit)
One thing to add. The Chiappa barrel extension is much longer than an AR so the overall length is almost the same as a 14.5 pinned.

.22 is top
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/vr6lvr28/Mobile%20Uploads/image_1.jpeg
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
mine does great if i give it a steady diet of winchester m-22 or cci ar tactical 22. Anything else and it's basically a single shot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Skip it.  if you want a 22 upper buy one complete from cmmg or taccom, or if you feel like building, buy the components from them.  Don't even consider the chiappa.
View Quote

I have a Ciener conversion kit.  A while back I had heard that I can use the bolt and mag from that and just get the CMMG upper with barrel.  Is that the case?  Is the savings worthwhile?  I'm not even sure what I could get for the Ceiner kit if I wanted to unload it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought an m4-22 upper gen 2 a few weeks ago.
About 650-700 rounds through it, getting ready for an Appleseed.
So far so good, and I can now use my AR at my (pistol) range.
4 mags from black dog.
Scoped, with sling.
Massachusetts.

Ammo:. Aguilla 500 shots, maybe 3 stovepipes, during breakin. Whole box was great. Worth it! Rem and winch had issues.

Paid 260 shipped.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought an upper for my nieces to use when I go shooting at my brother's house. With Remington bulk ammo, there is usually one ftf every two or three mags. I haven't tried polishing it or anything yet. I'm sure it would do even better with some higher quality ammo.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have a Ciener conversion kit.  A while back I had heard that I can use the bolt and mag from that and just get the CMMG upper with barrel.  Is that the case?  Is the savings worthwhile?  I'm not even sure what I could get for the Ceiner kit if I wanted to unload it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check this thread out and see if Hochimin still has any. Also see if he has any barrel collars too. I bought one these barrels from him and am glad I did.

All you would need would be a .500 barrel collar to replace the chamber adapter on the Ciener kit and an upper receiver if you don't have one.

OP, contact Hochimin and see if he has any of these barrels left.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1458682_wts_spikes_tactical_22_barrels.html

This guy has the Anderson non forward assist/non port door uppers.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_637/275985_Schuyler_Arms_closed_5_5_5_9.html

Here is my deidcated upper:

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife's uncle has a  Chiappa 1911 and the quality of that pistol is absolute garbage. He didn't know how to clean it so I took it home and in the process of function checking after cleaning, found it would fire while on safe. The company replaced all the internals and it works way better, but that soured me on the whole brand.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Chiappa  translated into "Run like hell the other way" from what many say. The .22 AR upper was a designed ripped off from Tactical Solutions. Trouble is the TacSol unit was expertly crafted, and expensive, where as the Chiappa was a very cheap and poorly made copy built to a low price. The same company has come up with other firearms like the 9mm "M-1" carbine. I waited for that one only to hold it in my hands at the shop and gasp. Its the only 9mm PCC that I ever handed back. Heck, I would rather have a High Point 995, at least its cheap and stone reliable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I am going to be the voice of decent. I bought a gen 2 chippia upper swapped out the plastic upper and for the past 2 years and  through thousand of rounds it has run like a top.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am one of the lucky ones that got a Chiappa that actually works and shoots good. Mine functions great (with ammunition it likes) and is very accurate. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought something else. I ended up replacing the plastic upper receiver with an aluminum one.  I bought just the upper and have it on a NFA polymer lower.    
View Quote

Same here. Bought it during the panic for 225 bucks. Changed the upper out to an aluminum one. Runs great with any ammo but Remington golden bullets.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Same here. Bought it during the panic for 225 bucks. Changed the upper out to an aluminum one. Runs great with any ammo but Remington golden bullets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My upper has been very reliable and very accurate from the get go as long as I use good ammo that it likes. I replaced the polymer upper with an aluminum one because I didn't like how the barrel flexed in the polymer upper. It competes with my Marlin rifles as far a accuracy goes. It will never compete with my Savage ( or Romanian M69) but I never expected it to.

I would still choose differently if I had to do it over again.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top