Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2016 5:01:26 AM EDT
I saw mentioned in another thread that you should get a 1/9 as the fastest twist for running a 22 conversion. I'm looking at building a 7.5" pistol and the barrel that I found is 1/7 and I'm thinking maybe I'd just use a 22 kit in this gun. I want it to be able to shoot 5.56 also, so don't say get a dedicated upper. I just think I'd use it a lot more for shooting varmints around the house, probably 20 yards maximum distance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Accuracy in the 1/7 twist is ok. Can 5 rounds be  grouped in the size of  a nickel, no.  Can a 2 liter soda bottle be hit at 50 or more yards, yes. 20 yards should be no problem.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#2]
My personal experience:

1.  1-7 twist with an adapter yields 1.5-2" groups at 25yds.  No noticeable difference with 1-9.  

2.  10.5 & 7" barrels make my conversion a lot more picky on ammo compared to 16+.  

3.  I like CCI mini-mag 40gr.  Best accuracy-consistency-reliability for the $$

Notes:  Not much luck with bulk pack, Win M22, win 555, fed 500, or federal auto match.  Accuracy and reliability suffered greatly.  My CMMG dedicated 22 with 1-16 barrel is a little (maybe 30-40% more reliable) but much more accurate.  Easily <1" at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I run a conversion in a 1/7 barrel for Steel Challenge. I've not had any issues hitting the steel.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Does the velocity of the ammo used in the 1/7 twist barrels make a difference in accuracy?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I own a old school 1/12 , several Maine built Bushmaster 1/9s , a stainless Rock River service rifle 1/8, and a stainless Stag 1/8. I run conversions in them all and the Rock River is most accurate by a bit and the rest all about the same .

Not sure how a 1/7 will do , especially a short barrel?

Clean after 5.56 with a good copper solvent for best results and accuracy will be quite a bit better with CCI STD , wolf match or other standard velocity types over any high velocity I have tried , even the better stuff like CCI mini mags .
Most of the bulk pac high velocity is pretty grim for accuracy.
Standard velocity is going to be fussy untill the conversion unit is broke in and smooth.
I have found the conversions work better when lubed with silicone or some type of "dry" lube over a oil lube.

Like I said , no direct with short 1/7 guns .
I expect for chasing around critters in the backyard it will do fine . If you are talking about smacking a crow at the far end of a field , nope ,you won't be happy
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top