Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2016 9:42:34 PM EDT
I picked up a CMMG Mk9 w/ 16" barrel at a recent gun show.  I bought some ASC 32 round mags for it and they seat and lock into the lower just fine, but they rub against the insides of the upper making them difficult to insert.  On the rear edge of the feed lips, all of the finish has been rubbed off the mags after just a few insertions and I'm getting wear spots on the inside of the upper where the contact is occurring.  With a full mag, between this friction and the compressed spring, it's almost impossible to seat the mag with the bolt closed.

I've only had a chance to run one mag worth of ammo so far, and it ran flawlessly.

Has anyone with a Mk9 dealt with this before?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some but haven't had time to test.  I'll give it a go tomorrow.

ETA - Nope, no problems.  I forgot to try and load a mag with a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a CCMG lower and DPMS slab side upper on my 9mm build
mine does the same thing
makes removing the mags hard
I just dremmel sanded the area inside the upper that catches the mag lips
very little was needed
now they insert and drop freely
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the CMMG MK9 PDW and I use ASC mags exclusively (no issues btw).

I think ALL AR9s in Colt pattern are nearly impossible to seat a loaded mag on a closed bolt - it's not a CMMG or ASC issue.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a CCMG lower and DPMS slab side upper on my 9mm build
mine does the same thing
makes removing the mags hard
I just dremmel sanded the area inside the upper that catches the mag lips
very little was needed
now they insert and drop freely
View Quote

I too had to do this to my Vltor upper. It was approximately .010 on each side.
And I also can't hardly insert a loaded mag when the bolt is closed.
Thanks for that bit of info.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the same problem.  I bought 10 ASC 25 round 6.8 mags.  Some rub or even stick in the lower, some rub in the upper.  ASC has ignored me.  The ones that I've been able to grind down to fit don't feed reliably.

My new rule is:  When buying an unproven mag, buy only two to test them out so I won't get ripped off quite as bad.

ETA I ground down the mags instead of the upper because the mags are cheaper and easier to replace.  Did I mention that ASC didn't care that their mags were poorly made?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top