Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2016 10:39:01 AM EDT
So I put together my 9mm AR and took it to the range yesterday - it jammed every shot. The specs are:

* PSA Colt pistol lower

* PSA Hybrid BCG

* Faxon 10.5" barrel

* Del-Ton stripped upper

* Geissele G2S

* Troy Alpha Rail

* Brownells mags

The problem was that it was stove piping/jamming the brass into the action. I filled down the finger on the bolt catch so it wouldn't contact the back of the rounds. I think the problem is the ejector and that it's not flinging cases out of the gun. The trigger resets every time so I don't think it's the Geissele. The ammo I was using was hand loads that have never given me any problems in any of my pistols. It was 115gr played on top of 4.3-4.4gr of red dot. It's a mild load in my P226 so maybe the bolt isn't going back far enough for the ejector to engage properly?

I haven't tweaked the ejector yet, which I've heard may be needed for the PSA Colt lowers. My guess is either the ejector or the ammo. What do you think?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#1]
FIRST OFF...
Get some factory ammo. Your  AR 9 is blowback.

The pistols that use your handloads are locked breach.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Second OFF...
Quit filing on your gun, PSA knows more about it than you do.

Your ammo isn't stout enough for the weight of your buffer.
Put some factory 147's through it, and your problems will vanish  .
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, but I have to ask... are you using a 9mm buffer?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Verify ejector fitting to bolt,, the "COLT" system needs as much ejector contact to case head as you can get to knock empty case from the upper

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll use some 147 gr factory loads and see how they work. The lower is a pistol lower - I bought it complete from PSA. I'll check the ejector fitting to the bolt to verify its making contact with the cases. It only cycles successfully once, for a total of 2 consecutive shots. Every other time the brass wouldn't eject but the trigger does reset.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I assume those are light shooting hand loads? I had the same problem with some low power 147 at around 925fps and a 9oz buffer unsuppressed. A lighter buffer solved my problem or shooting some higher velocity ammo worked as well. I know mine is an ammo problem as it jams in my Glock 34 periodically. So, I just don't shoot it in my longer slide handguns.

I just like the feeling of  softer shooting ammo.I picked up 10K rounds of this 147 reman ammo from aysm. Primarily for running suppressed, buy still waiting on a my 9MM can.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Second OFF...

View Quote

I had to file down my bolt catch too as advised by many members here as well.  Otherwise the bolt catch hits the bullet creating a failure.  PSA should know better.  

Also have had the same jam on my gun. I was advised to get the ejector as close to the bolt as possible.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I had to file down my bolt catch too as advised by many members here as well.  Otherwise the bolt catch hits the bullet creating a failure.  PSA should know better.  

Also have had the same jam on my gun. I was advised to get the ejector as close to the bolt as possible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Second OFF...

I wonder if this is an issue on both Colt and Glock PSA lowers?  Or, is this an issue with the PSA hybrid BCG?

I'm asking because I just bought 2 PSA lowers, one Colt and one Glock, but haven't fired them yet.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wonder if this is an issue on both Colt and Glock PSA lowers?  Or, is this an issue with the PSA hybrid BCG?

I'm asking because I just bought 2 PSA lowers, one Colt and one Glock, but haven't fired them yet.
View Quote

It's almost certainly an issue with the alignment of the ejector.  The OP's description is a textbook example of the ejector not being properly aligned.  The ejector is the most exposed part of the system, and it's easy to get it bumped - just a little and it won't work.  Check out SBR7_11's picture above.  Fixing this is simple, quick and easy, but you have to be gentle and go a little bit at a time.

Editd typo...
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Second OFF...

View Quote

I have 3 PSA 9mm colt dedicated lowers and on all 3  the bolt catch finger that contacts the rear of the magazine follower sticks out far enough to come in contact with the cartridge rim (left side) on all 3 and would not feed a cartridge from the left side of the magazine. I called PSA and told them about it when I got the first one and they said they would send me a new bolt catch, they did one for the standard 5.56 AR. I called them back and told them they sent me the wrong bolt catch one from a 5.56 the guy from customer service told me he talked to the service guys and was told they only make one type of bolt catch. Funny I said I have two different ones in my hand He was going to send me a ups label to sent the lower back. I filed .035 off tip of each of my 3 bolt catch fingers and all 3 run perfect. They even shoot my light plinking cast 125 gr reloads no problem.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:56:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems to be an issues with PSA, have never seen this with QC10
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Just an updated:

I've made up some handloads to try out tomorrow morning.

4.0-4.4 gr HP-38 under a 124 gr poly coated RN bullet. CCI 500 primers. I just picked up a CZ-75 so I need to find a decent load for my P226, CZ-75, and 9mm AR. I've heard people have great results with W231/HP-38. My Red Dot loads always felt softer compared to factory loads of the same weight. Hopefully these new loads will function reliably, the 9mm AR is such a fun little platform when it work.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 9mm pistol built on a PSA Colt-style lower and an Alpha Shooting Sports 9mm upper with a hybrid bolt. The Alpha upper has been used with 100% success on a Glock lower (Joe Bob's) but I was getting significant stovepipe sand ftf issues with the Colt lower. I get it home this evening thinking I would adjust the ejector; manual cycling with snap caps showed continued failures. Finally, upon removing the upper and inserting a mag loaded with snap caps, I noted th e bolt hold open "finger" was hitting the rear of my casings causing them to rotate upwards and preventing the spentround from extracting. I masked off the lower and got out the Dremel. 25 seconds and about .03" removed and the gun cycles the snap caps smoothly and locks open with authority.  I'll try and do some live fire testing tomorrow, but the solution seems to prove the problem - Palmetto State Armory is using the wrong bolt hold upen on these lowers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#14]
IMHO. Get some Flitz and polish the chamber.  Use a 20 gauge cotton cleaning swab covered with it.  Run it on a drill.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#15]
How tight does the ejector to bolt fit need to be? I'm assuming barely touching but not enough to slow the bolt. I'm curious because I am having the same problem. My setup is as follows
CMMG lower
CMMG bolt
RRA upper
Spikes ST 9X buffer
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How tight does the ejector to bolt fit need to be? I'm assuming barely touching but not enough to slow the bolt. I'm curious because I am having the same problem. My setup is as follows
CMMG lower
View Quote

Scroll up page a few posts and refer to the picture.. note how little margin for error COLT left in the workiing of their system,, try to get as much eject face contact with case as possible
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I saw that thanks. To me it looks like it's right up against it. I'll just do a little trial and error maybe keep a couple of thousandths gap because rubbing can't be good.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Alright so its still jamming with different handloads. My thought is the ejector. I'm going to bend it slightly so its making full contact with the case. Hopefully that will solve the issues. It cycled the first 3 rounds, but now its only making it 1-2 rounds before jamming. Hopefully the ejector is the fix.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll bet a quarter that tweaking the ejector at least helps a whole lot.

You want to move the thing in small, gentle steps...  Move it a little, check it on the bolt, move it a little more, check again, etc.  The ejector can't really "drag" on the bolt.  If it rubs, don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's almost certainly an issue with the alignment of the ejector.  The OP's description is a textbook example of the ejector not being properly aligned.  The ejector is the most exposed part of the system, and it's easy to get it bumped - just a little and it won't work.  Check out SBR7_11's picture above.  Fixing this is simple, quick and easy, but you have to be gentle and go a little bit at a time.

Editd typo...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Editd typo...

I took a hammer to mine to fix the alignment.  . No issues now though, runs great.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Second OFF...

View Quote

I had to file the face of the ejector and that solved my issues.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll bet a quarter that tweaking the ejector at least helps a whole lot.

You want to move the thing in small, gentle steps...  Move it a little, check it on the bolt, move it a little more, check again, etc.  The ejector can't really "drag" on the bolt.  If it rubs, don't sweat it.
View Quote

This is the correct answer. I have a PSA mag block and I had to do a lot of filing and tweaking the ejector to get it running right. The mag block is great, but the ejector sucks balls. You shouldn't have to do this, but it is what needs to be done. Also, check and see if the firing pin spring is in there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#23]
So I tweaked the ejector a little and it runs like a champ now. I left about a 5 to 6 thousandths air gap between the ejector and bolt. Factory ammo worked great as well as all of my handloads. I couldn't be happier. Thanks to all for your advice. That picture really helped out a lot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So I tweaked the ejector a little and it runs like a champ now. I left about a 5 to 6 thousandths air gap between the ejector and bolt. Factory ammo worked great as well as all of my handloads. I couldn't be happier. Thanks to all for your advice. That picture really helped out a lot.
View Quote

Take the bolt out, and snap a case in the pocket.. now look down the slot underneath and see how much case head COLT left you to hit and make case exit the upper..
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#25]
That's definitely not much ejector contacting the case. It maybe contacts two thirds of the ejector face. I have room to bend the ejector up toward the bottom of the bolt but I think I'll just leave it alone because it works.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's definitely not much ejector contacting the case. It maybe contacts two thirds of the ejector face. I have room to bend the ejector up toward the bottom of the bolt but I think I'll just leave it alone because it works.
View Quote

Very little room for error here..
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top